Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1
HNfan
macrumors newbie

Getting a nano sim for Verizon iPhone 5 use in Italy

Hello,

I am traveling to Italy in about a week and need help figuring out the best way to be able to use my Verizon iPhone 5 there. Need to be able to check email once a day and make a rare phone call, and light internet surfing. Biggest need is to be able to text (mainly iMessage) many times a day. I'll be there 3 weeks.

Is it better to use Verizon's global services, or to buy (or rent) a sim card from a carrier over there?

How hard is it to get a sim card there that will fit an iPhone 5?

Any idea on costs for the various options?

Thanks!
HNfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:32 PM   #2
mitico
macrumors member

Nano sim for iphone 5

No it's not that hard. Go to Tim or Wind stores (they're everywhere) and ask for the sim card for the iphone 5. It'll cost you 5 to 10 euros and should be activated in a few hours. You can buy data options that will allow to use one giga (1Gb) a month for about 10 euros,or ten giga (10 Gb) for about 20 euros.

Last edited by mitico; Dec 27, 2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: mistaken word
mitico is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitico View Post
No it's not that hard. Go to Tim or Wind stores (they're everywhere) and ask for the sim card for the iphone 5. It'll cost you 5 to 10 euros and should be activated in a few hours. You can buy data options that will allow to use one giga (1Gb) a month for about 10 euros,or ten giga (10 Gb) for about 20 euros.
That's a pretty good deal.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:23 PM   #4
cutienoua
macrumors member

you need to pay attention to the offers. otherwise you end up paying by the mb.
still beats roaming by far!!
cutienoua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Clevans
macrumors newbie

I actually was in Italy and the Mediterranean earlier this year for about two weeks. I added on a 500 text msg plan a 1 gb international data plan and a $10 feature to get discounted roaming rates on any calls. It raised my bill by about $40-50 for that month but I never went over those limits. Leave the features on for the whole month so that when the phone companies in Italy send th charges back to your carrier here they see you have those features to cover it then cancel at the end of the billing cycle. Use wifi whenever possible. I used the cell networks daily for texting, email, light Internet use, and made only a handful of calls
Clevans is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
That's a pretty good deal.
US carriers are thieves compared to their European counterparts. I'm not sure the phone will work with another carrier. It is probably locked to verizon. I have heard that verizon will temporarily unlock if requested.
Blorzoga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
US carriers are thieves compared to their European counterparts. I'm not sure the phone will work with another carrier. It is probably locked to verizon. I have heard that verizon will temporarily unlock if requested.
I hear you on the high price US carriers charge.
About the Verizon i5 it is indeed officially unlocked out of the box for any GSM carrier. so it will work fine. There's no need for an unlock to be requested by them at all.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:19 PM   #8
mscalora
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 nano SIM with personal hotspot

My wife and I are going to Italy for 4 weeks soon. I have a unlocked iPhone 5, it is good to hear I can get a nano SIM for it but I'm wondering about Personal Hotspot support? Do the carriers support it? All? some? Can you give me any advice or what to ask for?

I've seen Wind, Tim & Tre mentioned. Is the coverage similar? We will be driving the length of Italy.

Thanks,
-Mike
mscalora is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone