Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Hi guys

My dad just got his first MBA yesterday and noticed that the black hinge (seen from the back when lid closed) is slightly uneven. We compared it to mine, which also had it. Is it normal or should we be worried? It is only in the left side there is a gap. The right side is all right and align.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 686

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
You don't notice a small (very small, you might have to zoom) gap between the black hinge and the silver-body? It just seems slightly off-centered

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Okay, it's actually pretty hard to take a picture, but what about this one - more clear?

I know I might be OCD'ing, but just wanted to know if its normal :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 196

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
You don't notice a small (very small, you might have to zoom) gap between the black hinge and the silver-body? It just seems slightly off-centered

Zoomed it. Still can't see.

Even if so, that's not a critical area. The black thing is just the cover, what matters is what goes on underneath. If it feels smooth (like mine :D) then is doing its job and stop obsessing.

When you come to more$$$, buy a convertible and leave it parked top-down and walk away (with the alarm on). Try it. Really liberating.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The cluch cover can slide (that's how you remove it) - so you should actually be able to slide it into the middle if it bothers you :p

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
It looks fine to me! If it works properly and doesn't make any noise when you open/close it, don't worry. :)

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Haven't tried sliding it, but that would explain the off-centered!

The lid is aligned with the body so no unevenness, and no cracking/noisy sounds when opening/closing lid.

Thanks for clearing it up guys! Good to know it's normal and that you've all seen it before :D

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Does the lid overhang to one side? If not, maybe they adjusted it so that it lines up. There are tolerances for both the top and lower half of the laptop, so they leave adjusting in so the top and bottoms can line up.

If it does overhang take it in and they'll fix it.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Does the lid overhang to one side? If not, maybe they adjusted it so that it lines up. There are tolerances for both the top and lower half of the laptop, so they leave adjusting in so the top and bottoms can line up.

If it does overhang take it in and they'll fix it.

Overhang? Not sure what you mean, but the lid is perfectly align with the body

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Overhang? Not sure what you mean, but the lid is perfectly align with the body

As in one part (top or bottom) stick out more on one side. If it is in line with your body then the original issue is likely just a result of calibration.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
As in one part (top or bottom) stick out more on one side. If it is in line with your body then the original issue is likely just a result of calibration.

Haven't really noticed that, so I guess it's fine :) The screen is perfectly in line with the bottom body

FreVC

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012

My lid does show some overhang on the left side, this irritates me. Does anyone know if it is possible to realign this yourself?

Cozmo85

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
My lid does show some overhang on the left side, this irritates me. Does anyone know if it is possible to realign this yourself?

Yes, use a pentalobe screwdriver (ebay or amazon for ~$4). CAREFULLY remove the bottom screws. Once you get inside there are 3 6-pointed star screws that hold each hinge on. Loosen them with the correct size screwdriver, allign screen, then tighten them.

Once its aligned how you want it place the metal cover back on the bottom, then CAREFULLY reinstall pentalobe screws. Get them all threaded properly before tightening any of them.

Pentalobe screws will strip if you look at them wrong so be very careful. If in doubt a genius should be able to do it in 10 minutes or so at the apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.