Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Core i7 3.4Ghz
Geforce 680MX 2GB
32GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance)
1TB fusion + external 256GB Samsung 830 boot SSD via Thunderbolt

so the 680MX is not a factor as some have stated . Thanks and Double Thanks for the Video !

BlackZ

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
I have the same and exactly the same specs

Core i7 3.4Ghz
Geforce 680MX 2GB
1TB fusion

Luckily its not THAT obvious for me, I only see the top of finder on my monitor all the time.

I am waiting until people stop complaining about it and will return the mac by then.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have the same and exactly the same specs

Core i7 3.4Ghz
Geforce 680MX 2GB
1TB fusion

Luckily its not THAT obvious for me, I only see the top of finder on my monitor all the time.

I am waiting until people stop complaining about it and will return the mac by then.

I would just return it if you're within your 14 days. This whole IR thing still baffles me, especially when people have 4, 5, 6 iMacs in a row with IR. Makes no sense to me...

BlackZ

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
I would just return it if you're within your 14 days. This whole IR thing still baffles me, especially when people have 4, 5, 6 iMacs in a row with IR. Makes no sense to me...

I have the mac since mid January, I have put a post before about the IR.
It is very sad and I was waiting for a month and half for the order to arrive so didn't want to return it right away.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
whats the verdict on light bleeding from the sides and corners do they all have em?

Don't confuse viewing angle deficiencies and bleed. The bright corners are viewing angle issues. If you sit directly in front of a corner, it looks fine.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Your wish is my command. I took a video of this for about 13 minutes or so, recorded with the iMac at max brightness. No image retention. Feel free to watch the video. Note I've also done this for far, far longer in the past, using the grid-pattern test as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06waD9kOrII&feature=youtu.be

*EDIT*

While the first video was uploading, I did the grid pattern test, too, for just under 10 minutes (I got bored). No image retention. A while ago I ran this image for almost an hour with no image retention.

http://youtu.be/vmnuW8-AOz0

This is the image I used:

http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

See William Ive done the same thing on mine for the longest time but when it gets warm and I have the same screen up for more than 15 mins it gets a hint of retention. Not too bad but it's definitely there. I know you tried that gray background on the first video but it actually needs to be a darker shade gray like the one on the second video. Like I said some have it worse than others and I've tested so many of them between friends, school, apple, stores, my replacements, they have all had it to some extend maybe it fallows me around but from what I've seen all the machines I tested around 25 of them they have all had them. If yours doesn't really have then more power to you I'm glad it doesn't. I still think is crappy from apple to ship these machines like that though. Thanks for the vid btw

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
See William Ive done the same thing on mine for the longest time but when it gets warm and I have the same screen up for more than 15 mins it gets a hint of retention. Not too bad but it's definitely there. I know you tried that gray background on the first video but it actually needs to be a darker shade gray like the one on the second video. Like I said some have it worse than others and I've tested so many of them between friends, school, apple, stores, my replacements, they have all had it to some extend maybe it fallows me around but from what I've seen all the machines I tested around 25 of them they have all had them. If yours doesn't really have then more power to you I'm glad it doesn't. I still think is crappy from apple to ship these machines like that though. Thanks for the vid btw

I really don't know what to tell you. All I can do is reiterate: I've never seen IR on a 2012 27" iMac personally, and I've had many of them to work on. My iMac never gets switched off, is always running. I play intensive games on it, do intensive photo-editing on it, and never ever have I see image retention. Will I someday? Maybe, but I've used the 27" LG panels for over 3.5 years now and it's never happened.

I'm sorry you're experiencing these issues, but many of us don't have any IR, and I've really done my best to prove that to you.

On a side-note, if my iMac ever does develop image retention, I'll be sure to let you know. Hopefully that day will never come! :D

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I dont have image retention that ive seen on my imac yet. however i didnt go looking for it. im just using my computer as i normally would and it hasnt happened yet. Im using that redish background that is included with mountain lion that looks like red sand / cave. if I have image retention this background hides it well. I had a black limechat window open on the left side of my screen for about an hour and when i moved it i could not see anything. My brightness is also at about 70%. maybe that helps?

using 675mx graphics

bwapod

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I have it on mine... bought a couple of weeks ago from a local Apple Store (don't know how long they had it in the back though).

27" 3.4 i7, 1TB Fusion, 680MX

It's annoying, but the machine is otherwise fantastic. It's easiest to tell when I leave a finder window open for a few (15 or 20) minutes then select a virtual machine in parallels and the dark grey screen pops up.

I don't usually have my brightness turned up above 50% either, which is annoying. But I just try not to leave a finder window open for too long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.