Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wxgeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
OK...I have the latest Xcode SDK installed on my Macbook Pro. I have updated my Iphone to IOS6. So now I'm trying to set the Iphone so I can run apps that I develop on my Iphone. I went to the IOS Portal and ran the Provisioning Assistant. However, when I build my little hello xcode app it fails becasue xcode says the appid is wrong. I've included 2 screen captures to illustrate the problem.

So my questions are

1) How can I change the current provisioning profile to allow this app to run on my iPhone? The app compiles and runs just fine on the Iphone Simulator.

2) Are there videos out there that show this process in detail?

Jim

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
You didn't include any screenshots ;p
But on your app target (click on the Xcode project in Xcode on the left, then select your target in the middle & then select "Build Settings" at the top, press Show All right below it, then under Code Identity you can select the correct one.

wxgeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Oops...sorry!

Here are the screen shots.

Also...to cure this problem...I went to the IOS provisioning Portal and generated an AppID that had the correct name and then downloaded that and installed it to Xcode. Don't know if that was the best way but it worked. The app...simple as it is... now runs on my Iphone. (Gotta start somewhere)

So I guess that brings up another question. Do I need to do this for each program I write or what?

Jim

Attachments

• xcode_organizer.png
    xcode_organizer.png
    324.1 KB · Views: 87
  • xcode_main.png
    xcode_main.png
    362.1 KB · Views: 92

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
You are using a hardcoded one.
You can do, com.yourcompany.* (hence the star), if you type that, you use a wildcard, so you can build any app which starts com.yourcompany (.anyapp) ;)
Hope you figure it out :)

wxgeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Ya know....I'm sure that for an experienced developer, my question must seem like childs play. I read the docs on how to create a wildcard AppID. HOWEVER,
when I go to the IOS provisioning portal and fill out the provisioning screen,
it REQUIRES me to select a specific AppID, I cant just type in *. Thus my confusion.

I'm sure Apple wants to protect their product/brand but this process is very frustrating to say the least! :)

Jim

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
So you created an app idea called:
com.wxgeekCompany.* ?
And then Made an provisioning profile that uses this profile, which you called whatever (name is not really relevant) that uses app idea mentioned above?

if you have done that, you should be able to use it :)
Otherwise explain what exactly the issue is.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I think my previous link on using wildcard App IDs was probably not that helpful and somewhat outdated.

Do you see an "iOS Team Provisioning Profile" in your Provisioning Portal?

wxgeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Thanks to all who replied! I took a look at my provisioning profile and it
had a different name than the bundle ID in xcode. So I went into Xcode and changed the bundle identifier to match the appID in the provisioning profile.

That is:

Prov Profile Name AppID
TestingIOS KJCY49ZT57.com.learnIOS.*

In Xcode:

BundleID
com.learnIOS.HelloNoun

Now it compiles and is sent to my iPhone! Yeah!!!

Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.