[All iPads] More powerful iPad 2 or iPad mini? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:04 PM   #1
xkmxkmxlmx
macrumors 6502a
 
xkmxkmxlmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
More powerful iPad 2 or iPad mini?

Are they basically the same specs with a different screen? What are their exact differences?

Also, are there any apps that will not run on a 2? I know there are quite a few that you need at least a 2 (no 1st gen), but are there any that you need at least a 3 for?
__________________
iPhone 4s
xkmxkmxlmx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:44 PM   #2
cruzmisl
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
They are the same processor-wise.
cruzmisl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:56 PM   #3
flavr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
iPad mini has:

- updated/faster lightning connector
- much better front and rear cameras
- SIRI
- longer battery life
- screen has higher ppi (but same resolution)
- stereo speakers
- A5 chip is thinner for more efficiency
- updated design and much lighter
- faster updated WiFi
- runs every app in app store
- $70 less expensive (about 20% less)

Last edited by flavr; Feb 8, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
flavr is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:19 PM   #4
fitshaced
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I think the iPad mini is one of the best Apple products over the past 10 years. Superb size and weight. When the retina display comes, it could very well be the greatest selling tablet of all time.

I got the LTE 32 gig and think it's incredible. Having a wifi only iPad meant i never took it anywhere. It was too big and drained my phones battery when tethered. Plus, LTE is awesome.

Just need a really good stylus as Evernote and penultimate are exactly what this device is for. (that and the kindle app).

I had been concerned about the resolution of the mini but find reading really not that difficult at all on it. When you increase the font size a bit, there are no issues with it.

Get one.
__________________
Lots of stuff.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsbykev/
fitshaced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:22 PM   #5
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
- screen has higher ppi (but same resolution)
You say this as if it's inherently a positive. It has a higher PPI because it has a smaller screen. Text is no sharper than on the ipad 2 because the rendering algorithims are essentially the same. Some would rather more physical real estate over an increased PPI @ the same number of effective pixels.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:30 PM   #6
flavr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
You say this as if it's inherently a positive. It has a higher PPI because it has a smaller screen. Text is no sharper than on the ipad 2 because the rendering algorithims are essentially the same. Some would rather more physical real estate over an increased PPI @ the same number of effective pixels.
increased ppi increases resolution...yes, to me that falls in the positive category...

do you own an iPad mini?
flavr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:22 AM   #7
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
You say this as if it's inherently a positive. It has a higher PPI because it has a smaller screen. Text is no sharper than on the ipad 2 because the rendering algorithims are essentially the same. Some would rather more physical real estate over an increased PPI @ the same number of effective pixels.
The text IS sharper because the same amount of information is being displayed in a smaller space. Conversely, more information is being displayed in the same amount of physical space. This is what makes the retina displays sharper, and it's what makes the mini's display sharper. Whether or not it's a good thing is subjective, but to claim the text isn't sharper is just plain false.

OP, neither is more powerful than the other. The benefits of the mini have been explained well here, but in terms of power they're identical. My advice: unless screen size is important to you (remember that the actual resolution, the number of pixels, is no different), get the mini. It has plenty of benefits over the iPad 2 that aren't related to power.
__________________
13" 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD; 2.2 GHz C2D MB, 6 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD; 32 GB iPod Touch 3G
-FWIW, my handle is iThink_ergo_iMac. There seems to be some confusion on this issue.-
iThinkergoiMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:56 AM   #8
xkmxkmxlmx
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
xkmxkmxlmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitshaced View Post

I had been concerned about the resolution of the mini but find reading really not that difficult at all on it. When you increase the font size a bit, there are no issues with it.

Get one.
Uh... sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking if and why people prefer the mini. I know all about it and actually own one myself. I just need to know the significant differences between the two (besides the obvious debate it has started with PPI and larger size................).

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone.
__________________
iPhone 4s
xkmxkmxlmx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 01:38 AM   #9
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
iPad mini has:

- updated/faster lightning connector
- much better front and rear cameras
- SIRI
- longer battery life
- screen has higher ppi (but same resolution)
- stereo speakers
- A5 chip is thinner for more efficiency
- updated design and much lighter
- faster updated WiFi
- runs every app in app store
- $70 less expensive (about 20% less)
and it came out 1 1/2 years later...
irDigital0l is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 01:39 AM   #10
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
increased ppi increases resolution.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
The text IS sharper because the same amount of information is being displayed in a smaller space.
No.

Graphics and UI elements yes. Text no. Because 1) PPI has increased but resolution remains the same. 2) The smaller screen means that the normal viewing distance has changed 3) Same OS with the same rendering engine (the only way to make it sharper ath the same resolution would be to render fonts larger, which would allow more anti-aliasing). When you combine all 3 of these it negates any benefit to text from a higher PPI.

This is probably the 100th I've explained this on this forum, yet the same misinformed crap is stated here as facts. I don't think I'm going to bother anymore. There will always be a certian % of people on any forum that spread misinformation and are not willing to be corrected no matter what.

Last edited by syd430; Feb 9, 2013 at 02:34 AM.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 02:00 AM   #11
cruzmisl
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Yeah I see what he's saying. Looking at my ipad 1 and mini, text looks basically the same. Everything's just smaller.
cruzmisl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:42 AM   #12
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
Conversely, more information is being displayed in the same amount of physical space. This is what makes the retina displays sharper, and it's what makes the mini's display sharper.
Didnt reply to everything you said in my post above, but I'll reply to this too. The retina display is sharper due to pixel doubling. This has nothing to do with the mini's display. As explained in my post above, graphics and UI elements are sharper because of the increased PPI, but text is most certainly not because the same rendering algorithm is applied to the same number of physical pixels.( I.e no additional pixels to smooth out the font).

Quote:
Whether or not it's a good thing is subjective, but to claim the text isn't sharper is just plain false.
Actually, almost every sentence in your post was objectively wrong.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:52 AM   #13
ManicMarc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
The screen is a lot nicer. Despite being the same resolution, the smaller size makes it difficult to notice its not retina. Also they removed a layer from the glass, so it looks more lifelike. My partner upgraded from the iPad 1 and can't get over how much better the screen is. I have an iPad 3 and I can tell the difference, but it's not much.
__________________
ManicMarc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:47 AM   #14
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Graphics and UI elements yes. Text no.
If the UI elements get sharper because of the increased PPI, then so does the text.

Quote:
Because 1) PPI has increased but resolution remains the same.
If that doesn't increase the sharpness of the text, then it doesn't increase the sharpness of the UI elements either.

Quote:
2) The smaller screen means that the normal viewing distance has changed
Source? My supervisor doesn't know much about his brand-new iPad mini, so I end up doing a lot of stuff with it to set up stuff. I hold it at the same distance I hold my iPad 4. In the same way the typical (not ideal) viewing distance between a 32" TV and a 42" TV is often largely the same. I realize there's a technical specification for viewing distance based on screen size and resolution, but I'm talking about typical usage, not tech specs.

Quote:
3) Same OS with the same rendering engine (the only way to make it sharper ath the same resolution would be to render fonts larger, which would allow more anti-aliasing). When you combine all 3 of these it negates any benefit to text from a higher PPI.
See, this is where I think we're butting heads. I realize that the text is being rendered the same way, and so is not actually sharper in that sense, but it looks sharper. The perceived sharpness is increased. I'm not talking about sharpness as a technical term, as it relates to font rendering, I'm talking about how it looks. I've used an iPad 2 quite a bit, and the text on the iPad mini's screen LOOKS sharper because it's smaller.

Amusingly, only half my post was about text sharpness, yet you said almost every sentence was objectively incorrect. Do you also disagree with my statements about the mini being better in a lot of ways to the iPad 2 that aren't related to power?
__________________
13" 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD; 2.2 GHz C2D MB, 6 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD; 32 GB iPod Touch 3G
-FWIW, my handle is iThink_ergo_iMac. There seems to be some confusion on this issue.-
iThinkergoiMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:00 PM   #15
iEvolution
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
iPad mini has:

- updated/faster lightning connector
- much better front and rear cameras
- SIRI
- longer battery life
- screen has higher ppi (but same resolution)
- stereo speakers
- A5 chip is thinner for more efficiency
- updated design and much lighter
- faster updated WiFi
- runs every app in app store
- $70 less expensive (about 20% less)
umm the latest model of the iPad 2 has dual band wifi support and same long battery life because of the updated A5 ("thinner" as you call it). Granted the device is bought new instead of a refurb.

Lightning connector is nothing more than a buzz word, it runs NO FASTER than the original 30 pin adapter.

Not sure about the speakers and you're right about the cameras.

That being said, both the iPad 2 and iPad Mini are just as "powerful" as one another because they are running the same chip. However, the iPad Mini is a better deal because of the updated cameras and price.

Really surprised that the iPad 2 is even for sale anymore, seems kind of silly.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:11 PM   #16
mortenandersen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitshaced View Post
I think the iPad mini is one of the best Apple products over the past 10 years. Superb size and weight. When the retina display comes, it could very well be the greatest selling tablet of all time.

[...]
I completely agree with you! And for me (and many other who writes a lot) it seems that the soon to come Logitech Ultrathin BT Keyboard for the iPad Mini will be a kind of crown on this great Apple product, and IMO contribute to make it the greatest selling tablet of all time, and also the most practical and portable useful one! I can't wait for that keyboard - that will, for me, make the completion of a perfect combo! And, of course: I really hope that we don't have to wait too long for the retina display, and I further must stress that such a display (with all that it needs of resources), must NOT change the iPad Mini footprint or weight.
mortenandersen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:17 PM   #17
Gav2k
macrumors 601
 
Gav2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
iPad mini has:

- updated/faster lightning connector
- much better front and rear cameras
- SIRI
- longer battery life
- screen has higher ppi (but same resolution)
- stereo speakers
- A5 chip is thinner for more efficiency
- updated design and much lighter
- faster updated WiFi
- runs every app in app store
- $70 less expensive (about 20% less)
Bluetooth 4.0 vs 2.1 I. The iPad 2

Ignore the a5 reference tho. If you brought new today from apple the a5 chips would be identical. It was the original iPad 2 that had the older a5 chip

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
umm the latest model of the iPad 2 has dual band wifi support and same long battery life because of the updated A5 ("thinner" as you call it). Granted the device is bought new instead of a refurb.

Lightning connector is nothing more than a buzz word, it runs NO FASTER than the original 30 pin adapter.

Not sure about the speakers and you're right about the cameras.

That being said, both the iPad 2 and iPad Mini are just as "powerful" as one another because they are running the same chip. However, the iPad Mini is a better deal because of the updated cameras and price.

Really surprised that the iPad 2 is even for sale anymore, seems kind of silly.
Hardly. There is a huge market for the iPad 2 in the private sector.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 01:58 PM   #18
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
Lightning connector is nothing more than a buzz word, it runs NO FASTER than the original 30 pin adapter.
This is kind of true. The devices that use Lightning do sync faster than their 30-pin brethren, but that's quite possibly due to the fact that those devices are faster themselves. Also, from what I understand, Lightning has the ability to sync at USB 3 speeds, but Apple hasn't unlocked that aspect. I don't really have good sources for that, though, it's just what I've heard.
__________________
13" 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD; 2.2 GHz C2D MB, 6 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD; 32 GB iPod Touch 3G
-FWIW, my handle is iThink_ergo_iMac. There seems to be some confusion on this issue.-
iThinkergoiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:20 PM   #19
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
If the UI elements get sharper because of the increased PPI, then so does the text.
You're free to believe whatever you want.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:22 PM   #20
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
You're free to believe whatever you want.
What a factual argument! I'm willing to be convinced, but my understanding of how screens work and my own experience with the mini show me that the text is sharper on the mini. If you can illustrate reasons to me beyond "the rendering algorithm is the same", I might be convinced.
__________________
13" 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD; 2.2 GHz C2D MB, 6 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD; 32 GB iPod Touch 3G
-FWIW, my handle is iThink_ergo_iMac. There seems to be some confusion on this issue.-
iThinkergoiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:24 PM   #21
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
What a factual argument! I'm willing to be convinced, but my understanding of how screens work and my own experience with the mini show me that the text is sharper on the mini. If you can illustrate reasons to me beyond "the rendering algorithm is the same", I might be convinced.
I already stated my reasoning in the previous two posts I wrote in this thread. I was just pointing out that I don't want to go back and forth with you anymore. You can believe whatever you want. I really don't care what you think is fact or not.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:31 PM   #22
mac00l
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
About iPad mini text.

Most people increase font size in iPad mini, to match the "real world" size of text on an iPad. When the text size is matched, iPad mini's sharpness increase is noticeable, tho less text is displayed.

So yeah, iPad vs iPad mini size-matched text sharpness is better on the mini, if hold at the same viewing distance.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" 2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM ; MacBook Air 13" 1.3Ghz, 4GB RAM ; 16GB iPhone 5 ; 32GB iPad mini ; Apple TV Moto X
mac00l is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Launching Updated iPad Air in 2014, No 12.9-Inch iPad or New iPad Mini Until 2015 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 208 May 21, 2014 03:16 PM
iPad: Ipad air, Ipad mini retina and Ipad mini space grey photo thread gadget123 iPad 0 Nov 1, 2013 05:44 PM
Apple Drops Refurbished iPad Prices, iPad Mini Now Available for $249, iPad 4 for $379 MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 16 Oct 23, 2013 09:53 AM
A7X-Based iPad and iPad Mini Expected to Launch in 4Q 2013, Lower-Cost A6 iPad Mini to Follow in 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 178 Oct 11, 2013 07:52 AM
Trouble deciding: iPad mini vs iPad 2 vs Retina iPad? Do NOT get an iPad 2. ThatsMeRight iPad 27 Oct 28, 2012 02:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC