Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Even more off-topic: Would literally LOVE a Killing Joke movie!

Just as a comment as a nerd, I'd loathe a Killing Joke movie. Even Alan Moore loathes the story, and he wrote it.

I'd love to see Batwoman: Elegy turned into a movie.

If I had to see another Batman movie, I'd love Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Just as a comment as a nerd, I'd loathe a Killing Joke movie. Even Alan Moore loathes the story, and he wrote it.

I'd love to see Batwoman: Elegy turned into a movie.

If I had to see another Batman movie, I'd love Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth.

Those are strong words you use, my friend. :D To my knowledge, Moore disagrees with the used flashbacks of Joker's history, thinking them unnecessary. But what do I know compared to a Batman nerd! Just picked up lately some Miller and Moore novels (+ that Jim Lee one (so-so), Year One and Court of Owls), so really no expert. Will have a look at the ones you've mentioned, too.

Generally, I welcome every Batman movie that is more about detective/gothic/NeoNoir and much, much less like Die Hard - save the bomb / generic action blockbuster.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Those are strong words you use, my friend. :D To my knowledge, Moore disagrees with the used flashbacks of Joker's history, thinking them unnecessary. But what do I know compared to a Batman nerd! Just picked up lately some Miller and Moore novels (+ that Jim Lee one (so-so), Year One and Court of Owls), so really no expert. Will have a look at the ones you've mentioned, too.

Generally, I welcome every Batman movie that is more about detective/gothic/NeoNoir and much, much less like Die Hard - save the bomb / generic action blockbuster.

Well one of Moore's biggest problems with A Killing Joke is the crippling of Barbara Gordon. Mostly, because it seemed to have been an editorial mandate, and according to his account, a rather misogynistic one as well.

A Serious House on Serious Earth was Grant Morrison's graphic novel, and was pretty much the first one to introduce the idea of the "Multiple choice origins" for Joker. Outside of being a rabid Morrison/Ellis/Ennis fangirl (they are my UnHoly Trinity). A Serious House did an amazing job dealing with the History of Arkham (and Gotham) as well as exploring not just the Rogues' mental illnesses, it explored Bruce/Batman's as well.

I'll be honest, I think part of my hate for A Killing Joke is how they handled Barbara for 20+ years after the story, as well as its weakness compared to Moore's other work (his Swamp Thing is probably one of his best works, as well as Tom Strong and Promethea).

If you're new with Batman, might I also suggest anything by Denny O'Neil, and especially his original Ra's Al Ghul stories (they're collected in a book called Tales of the Demon). Denny's Batman is what I read when I was a tiny fangirl in the 80's, his work is what Moore and Morrison have used as their foundation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.