Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wagmun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
I have a Macbook pro 17" 2011 and tried to connect it to a Panasonic Viera LED TV through a mini display port-HDMi adaptor and a HDMI cable.
No signal at all on TV.
Tried connect to a Samsung, and connection OK?
Does anyone know of any issue regarding connecting MBP to TV?
Thanks in advance for your help.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It says no input or do you have no picture? Did you try another HDMI port on the TV and is your TV set to unscaled?

wagmun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Problem connecting MBP to Panasonic TV

My TV has two HDMI inputs. I've tried both. In both cases I get a black screen, as if nothing was connected.
One funny thing is that when I connect to HDMI1, but select HDMI2 on TV, I can see the option for mirroring in system preferences > display > arrangement, and I can, for instance, select mirroring. And my MBP recognizes there is a Panasonic TV connected to it. But as soon as I select the right HDMI input on TV, the monitor preferences changes, and the option arrangements in system preferences > display disappears and MBP doesn't show/recognize Panasonic TV anymore.
Same happens opposite way. If I'm on HDMI2 and select HDMI1 on TV.
I thought it could be a malfunction in adaptor, but it worked perfectly in my Samsung 19" monitor.
Very buggy.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
My TV has two HDMI inputs. I've tried both. In both cases I get a black screen, as if nothing was connected.
One funny thing is that when I connect to HDMI1, but select HDMI2 on TV, I can see the option for mirroring in system preferences > display > arrangement, and I can, for instance, select mirroring. And my MBP recognizes there is a Panasonic TV connected to it. But as soon as I select the right HDMI input on TV, the monitor preferences changes, and the option arrangements in system preferences > display disappears and MBP doesn't show/recognize Panasonic TV anymore.
Same happens opposite way. If I'm on HDMI2 and select HDMI1 on TV.
I thought it could be a malfunction in adaptor, but it worked perfectly in my Samsung 19" monitor.
Very buggy.

did you mean to put this in the AppleTV section?

icanboogie

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
Berlin
did you mean to put this in the AppleTV section?

it is put quite fittingly in the "and other home theater discussion" section, I guess.

@OP: Sorry, no clue what's wrong with your setup. But indeed, an AppleTV (with HDMI) might solve this problem, at least when Mountain Lion is out and Airplay Mirroring comes with it.

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
Had the same problem with a Panasonic, I had to go into (on my MBP) settings-displays and set the display boxes on top of each other. The default was using the TV as a second monitor and had nothing viewable. Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.