Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nycmi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
With the new iPad (5th generation) assumedly just around the corner, is there any point in keeping the iPad Mini as a brand name?

Wouldn't it would be like Apple calling the 13 inch Macbook Pro the Macbook Pro mini? Assuming the only difference between the models are specs and screen size.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
They the dropped numbering, so officially it probably just "the new iPad" and "the new iPad Mini".

Then every normal human being will ignore that and refer to them as the iPad 5 and Retina iPad Mini.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
They the dropped numbering, so officially it probably just "the new iPad" and "the new iPad Mini".

Then every normal human being will ignore that and refer to them as the iPad 5 and Retina iPad Mini.
Presuming that it is a Retina mini that is announced. In either case it would be the 2nd gen iPad mini.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
My guess for the mini would be the same they did with the iPad 4 (retina). "iPad Mini with Retina Display".

For the full sized iPad I can't imagine what else they would call it except the "iPad 5". They're called the 2nd gen. iPad the "iPad 2", so I don't see them being against "iPad 5". And it's not like they have any other option anyway haha. Besides "The new iPad" which also wouldn't really make much sense, since they currently have 2 options (excluding data vs. wifi only).

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I can't see them keeping the iPad 2 around much longer. It will run iOS7 but probably not 8. So will they keep the existing retina iPad as the lower cost full size model and call the new one iPad 5? Maybe

Idk about the rest of what they're doing, but they're definitely not going go to keep the iPad 2 around. It's completely outdated at this point. And if they'd do replacing it would be with the iPad 3, but they already stopped selling that, so idk lol.

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
I can't see them keeping the iPad 2 around much longer. It will run iOS7 but probably not 8. So will they keep the existing retina iPad as the lower cost full size model and call the new one iPad 5? Maybe

It can easily run 8. As its unlikely that apple will drop support for the ipad mini after just 2 years. Whether they allow it to run is a whole other issue.

If they move the ipad 4 to fill in the spot of the 2, I can see them naming the new one iPad 5.

It would be odd to call the cheaper one iPad with Retina display and also call the new one iPad with Retina display. Calling it "new iPad with Retina Display" is just long.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
It can easily run 8. As its unlikely that apple will drop support for the ipad mini after just 2 years. Whether they allow it to run is a whole other issue.

If they move the ipad 4 to fill in the spot of the 2, I can see them naming the new one iPad 5.

It would be odd to call the cheaper one iPad with Retina display and also call the new one iPad with Retina display. Calling it "new iPad with Retina Display" is just long.

You're forgetting it's not just about time. If we're talking about 2 years, iOS 4 was not all that much different from iOS6. But it takes a lot more resources to run iOS7 vs. iOS6, unlike iOS5 to iOS6. The iPad Mini only has 1/2GB Ram. That's the same as the iPhone 4, and that runs iOS7 poorly. It runs it, as it's the oldest device that they deemed it could run on, but it runs poorly, as I said. At least, not as well as iOS6. So I wouldn't be quite so optimistic in saying that a product with 1/2GB ram would be able to run iOS8 no problem.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I wish they went back to a numbering scheme to keep unsuspecting customers who don't keep up with the latest tech gadget news from getting ripped off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.