Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookProzak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Since I bought the new MBP I have last July, I did not spend the extra $350 at the time for the extended warranty. I will need to purchase the extended warranty by just to keep it covered. Since the new MBP's are speculated to come out in June I got to thinking, instead of paying the $350 in July to extend the warranty, what if i just try to sell my current MBP at a 15% to 20% loss ($330 to $420) and take that $350 I would have spent on the warranty and get the new upgrade. Heck if Apple comes out with a new MBP every year before July, I could just keep upgrading for a small amount of money and always be under the 1 year warranty.

Just an idea.....

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You'll end up spending more, since AppleCare extends the warranty to 3 years. You'd be replacing twice during that time, at a cost much higher than just buying AppleCare.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Try to chase technology and you'll likely find yourself in a losing position.

MacBookProzak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
You'll end up spending more, since AppleCare extends the warranty to 3 years. You'd be replacing twice during that time, at a cost much higher than just buying AppleCare.

Yes, excellent point.

I suppose my premise was that I could sell the current MBP while it was still no more than a year old and would still hold some decent value -and also upgrading to the latest MBP configuration (for $350-$400), providing that the upgraded features would serve a benefit to the heavy use I put a MBP through every day.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007

exactly! Although it will be nice to always have the newest mac!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Your MBP will last many years under heavy use. My PowerBook lasted 4 years under very heavy use (drove a 30" ACD as well) until I could not find benefit in the speed, or lack thereof.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
As posted. You either use your devices until the break, or will not do what you want them to anymore.

Result? You save money.

OR

You chase the tech. dragon, buy everything new that comes out.

Result?

Bankruptcy...!

Middle ground for me...I set a three year upgrade path for my Macs. I do tend to revert to number 2 here when it comes to the iPhone and the iPad though, but they cost far less than an iMac, MBP or MBA.

HeadGear

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2012
I thought about this as well since I bought mine in April of 2011 and did not purchase Apple Care. To be honest I'm going to buy Apple Care this week (I hope since I was supposed to do it last week) and just hope that if anything ever happens I get lucky and they just give me a brand new MBP like some forum members have received.

MacBookProzak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Your MBP will last many years under heavy use. My PowerBook lasted 4 years under very heavy use (drove a 30" ACD as well) until I could not find benefit in the speed, or lack thereof.

Yea, Macs are great that way, they will last for a very long time, they are true work horses. For someone browsing the web, looking at some photos, iTunes and light Photoshoppping, yea, get a Mac and run it into the ground.

Since I do video editing my MBP for 75%+ of the day on it, I was thinking that if the new MBP can help smooth and speed up the process more than what I can currently do now was where my thinking on the upgrade was driven from.

I really never have been a technology chaser.... I waited for a year and half till I could finally find someone on Craigslist to sell me an iPad version 1 for $275 ... and I don't see a need to get an iPad3 since the version 1 is well suited for looking at a few pictures and going on the web.

Jazojas12

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
I do that. I don't know why people think it's not worth it if you don't break even. You basically use the computer for less than $1/day after selling it. I'm sure if Apple leased a computer for $1/day people would jump on it..

Like previously said..don't buy it at MSRP, you're just wasting money. And the sooner you sell before the update the more money you'll probably make.

bobinkski

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
I have my 2 MBP under my home owners insurance. If they get dropped, water on them, stolen. They are covered. Only $78 for both per 6 months. The home insurance dose not cover virus's. Check it out.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Or buy AppleCare at a discount from the L.A. Computer Company or B&H Photo. eBay is full of AppleCare scams but the too-good-to-be-true prices are tempting...

Buying a new Mac every year or so simply to avoid paying for AppleCare doesn't pencil-out as far as I am concerned. I always buy Macs at a discount, usually by getting previous-generation Macs. Refurbs are another way to go. I usually sell the Macs when I'll get the best return on my investment by comparing my initial cost, amount of use I have gotten out of it and the current resale value.

For example, I paid $900 for a brand new 13" MBP. I will be able to use it for at least two years and be able to recoup most, if not all of my original purchase price. I keep my Macs in mint-condition so I get top-dollar when I sell. Having another 6 months or a year of AppleCare on the Mac definitely sweetens the deal for buyers.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have my 2 MBP under my home owners insurance. If they get dropped, water on them, stolen. They are covered. Only $78 for both per 6 months. The home insurance dose not cover virus's. Check it out.

With your insurance you are paying $239 for 3 years per MBP. The 3 years AppleCare at lacomputer.com is $250 for the MBP ($180 for the 13" MBP). For an extra $11 more than the $239 that you are paying I get phone support for 3 years. Also, for resale value AppleCare helps that. Besides, after three hardware repair incidents for the same problem, within 3 years, AppleCare replaces the computer with a new one. Will your insurance policy do that?

Let me give you an example why I will continue to buy AppleCare. In 2005, I bought a new 20" 2.10GHz iMac. Had three logic board problems, in 3 years. AppleCare replaced that computer with a new 2008 24" 3.06 iMac. I had three logic board issues with that computer, as well. AppleCare replaced that with a new 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad core iMac. So far the 2011 iMac has been great, not a single issue. I did buy AppleCare again though.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Besides, after three hardware repair incidents for the same problem, within 3 years, AppleCare replaces the computer with a new one. Will your insurance policy do that?

I'm an Applecare proponent here, but I have to play the devils advocate.

His insurance covers if it's lost, stolen or damaged. Will your Applecare do that?

It's about tradeoffs.

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I'm an Applecare proponent here, but I have to play the devils advocate.

His insurance covers if it's lost, stolen or damaged. Will your Applecare do that?

It's about tradeoffs.

With most home insurance there is at least a $500 deductible per claim. When you work that into the equation, it doesn't sound so great.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I buy a new one every 10-11 months, that's actually just $200 or so more expensive over a 3 year period than buying AppleCare and using it for 3 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.