Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jindra12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Hello all,

I am unsure which window OS should I get for bootcamp to run several games such as BF3 and Silent Hunter series. Could you please drop a suggestion for me to get either 8 or 7?

Thanks,

Eric

Late iMac 2012, 680mx, 16gb, 1TB Fusion, i7, etc.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I actually bought 8, and WOW did I hate it. Even considering my using Windows exclusively for the last 15 years. I was blown away with how they took the parts of Win7 that worked, and removed them.

I did do a win8 bootcamp and parallels install, and one day, it was gone. I'm not kidding. It wouldn't boot, and could not be repaired. I took this as a message and deleted the partition and brought Win7 back.

I am told it's leaner, which makes it good for games, but for me, the familiarity I have with win7 makes win8 an albatross. IMO, this is Windows ME or Vista for 2012!

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I believe Windows 8 is technically still unsupported by BootCamp. While others likely have workarounds for that, there's probably no benefit to running Windows 8 unless you need something in particular from it. I'm personally running both Windows 7 and 8 in VMs and haven't yet found a reason to prefer Windows 8 for my usage.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Hello all,

I am unsure which window OS should I get for bootcamp to run several games such as BF3 and Silent Hunter series. Could you please drop a suggestion for me to get either 8 or 7?

Thanks,

Eric

Late iMac 2012, 680mx, 16gb, 1TB Fusion, i7, etc.

7, if you must do Windows.

Snarl

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Canada Eh
I'd also go Windows 7 (Actually I did, Win7 64Bit VM) I have a Windows 8 Box and don't really like it. It's stable enough and pretty smooth but the interface just doesn't work for me. I tried to get used to it over a few months and did get a lot better but at the end of the day I felt they were trying to out Apple Apple and did not succeed .

Just my opinion go Win 7 (64 Bit)

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I would not touch Windows 8 with a ten foot pole.

I'd be worried about the potential for compatibility issues with some games as well, depending on their age, etc. I think Windows 7 is a safer bet and it offers a far better user interface than 8 does.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Let's also put it this way: Gabe Newell of Valve Software hates Windows 8 so much they decided to make Ubuntu the OS in their Steambox game system.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
7, I bought my wife a new laptop for Christmas it has Windows 8' and we hate it, so go with 7

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
8 does everything 7 does and more. I have had no problems with 8 under Parallels or Bootcamp.
Any game I've tried works absolutely fine under 8.
The 8 interface takes a bit of getting used to, but if you want the same desktop type approach of 7, it's still there in 8.

denisvj

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
I installed Win 7 for my gaming needs , tried windows 8 but hated it after a week .

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Had to set up an 8 laptop for my cousin last week....what a wreck.

I've been using windows only for the last...21 years, and 8 is frustrating to navigate and while I got the hang of it after a few hours....I can't help but feel it suffocates the user.

Oh I want to use skype? I have to download the app? ok.

Normally it would be fine, but when I have to go into command prompt to make a workable hack so the Microsoft store will start downloading updates and apps onto a NEW COMPUTER something is terribly, terribly wrong.

Unbelievably frustrating to do simple things that have been only a few mouse clicks in previous editions of Windows...

This OS needs to be taken out back and put down.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
I heard from several people that Win8 is actually nice.
Stable as Win7, ultra-fast boot, but ugly as hell (at least my opinion), and last but not least, cheaper than Win7.

Personally, I'm running Win7, but if I had to buy a new licence, I'd choose Win8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.