Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
Do you guys know of any Photo Stream alternatives? (Admit it, it's crap.)
It has to fit a specific criteria though. It should have iCloud backup as well as allow TWO OR MORE people to add to the stream.

Apple needs to address their steaming pile of **** known as "photo stream" :rolleyes:

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Technically it is with the exception of adding people. Dropbox has iCloud sync. You could have your friend sign in to dropbox account. An alternative you could use is Google Drive.

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
Technically it is with the exception of adding people. Dropbox has iCloud sync. You could have your friend sign in to dropbox account. An alternative you could use is Google Drive.

It's really not the same at all. Thanks though.

----------

Photostream for me is amazing! i love it :)
I'm glad it works for you. But it's junk if you actually want to SHARE pictures aka two people sharing their pictures.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
What are you looking for?

1) Auto-uploading of all new photos when app is launched for just 1 second. check

2) Share with other people by inviting them to share a single photo folder: check

3) iCloud Backup, the camera roll backs up to iCloud already: check

At what point can we say it's at least kind of similar?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
What are you looking for?

1) Auto-uploading of all new photos when app is launched for just 1 second. check

2) Share with other people by inviting them to share a single photo folder: check

3) iCloud Backup, the camera roll backs up to iCloud already: check

At what point can we say it's at least kind of similar?

If the "share" option you describe is what I explained in my above post then you are sadly mistaken, as it's nothing like what I want.

Yousefarman

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Chicago Illinois
If the "share" option you describe is what I explained in my above post then you are sadly mistaken, as it's nothing like what I want.

I use google +. it stores all my photos in a private album online, no matter what device i have. Its great. ive gone from a 4, to a 4s, to a 5, to android, and back multiple times, and it has all my photos saved.

CHI3F117

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
You are not being a very friendly user. This forum is for people that want to share their thoughts and collaborate on ideas. All you are doing is pissing everyone off.

Dropbox does in fact do what you are asking. You can share a folder with other people and they can post files to the folder as well. This means that both you and your girlfriend (which I'm not sure how you have with that attitude) can "share photos" with each other. With the dropbox app's auto upload feature, you would be able to both auto upload each pic you take into that folder.

Good luck in life with that sour behavior buddy...

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
You are not being a very friendly user. This forum is for people that want to share their thoughts and collaborate on ideas. All you are doing is pissing everyone off.

Dropbox does in fact do what you are asking. You can share a folder with other people and they can post files to the folder as well. This means that both you and your girlfriend (which I'm not sure how you have with that attitude) can "share photos" with each other. With the dropbox app's auto upload feature, you would be able to both auto upload each pic you take into that folder.

Good luck in life with that sour behavior buddy...

The only way I can share in Dropbox is by Facebook, email or text message. It won't allow anyone to actually see my folder or add anything to it.

I don't need luck "buddy"

nomik2

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2010
The only way I can share in Dropbox is by Facebook, email or text message. It won't allow anyone to actually see my folder or add anything to it.

Photostream doesn't allow two or more people to add photos either.

Edit: You can share a dropbox folder where multiple parties can edit.

----------

I would vote for a MOD to close the thread since OP is being a douche and not appreciating people trying to help him.

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
Photostream doesn't allow two or more people to add photos either.

I'm not sure if trolling or not...

I must try to stay calm... *think of happy things...*

Son, the reason I want an alternative is so more than two people CAN upload pictures....did you even bother to read my first post?

CHI3F117

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012

See thats the thing, you are flat out 100% wrong and you refuse to let people talk you out of it. Dropbox DOES allow you to share folders with as many people as you like and all of them can edit the folder...do your research...

TheGreenBastard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Halifax
See thats the thing, you are flat out 100% wrong and you refuse to let people talk you out of it. Dropbox DOES allow you to share folders with as many people as you like and all of them can edit the folder...do your research...

I'd really appreciate people actually explaining, because I as well as my friends who are trying to test it right this moment are not having any luck. The only "sharing" options are through links, which only allow them to view in the browser.

CHI3F117

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
I'd really appreciate people actually explaining, because I as well as my friends who are trying to test it right this moment are not having any luck. The only "sharing" options are through links, which only allow them to view in the browser.

I think the problem here is that you are going through the app. What you have to do is go through dropbox.com and set up a shared folder between all your friends. Then when your photos auto uploaded to your camera folder (turn this on through dropbox apps settings), you move them to the shared folder (that you created on dropbox.com) and all can view them.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There are apps like http://theflockapp.com but they might not do everything that is desired (like iCloud backup, for example).

There are also shared photo streams as I recall, where multiple people can add to and view the streams. Not sure if that was considered and/or does everything that is desired (or perhaps still has some downsides).

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I think the problem here is that you are going through the app. What you have to do is go through dropbox.com and set up a shared folder between all your friends.

Bingo.

I would have explained all of this to him in a follow up post, but instead of asking follow-up questions he decided to insult me for helping him instead. So that was the end of my help. It's a good thing for him there are forum members like you who are nicer than me!

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
ye with that attitude he won't get many answers. looks like mods put him in timeout

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.