Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors

Old Apr 4, 2013, 05:04 AM   #26
Fralle
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braniff747SP View Post
It does matter. One is a priceless artifact and the other is a five cent sticker.

I get the fact that you want to collect the original; however, comparing it to the Mona Lisa is absurd.
I'll rest my case. You'll never get it...
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:53 AM   #27
Braniff747SP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fralle View Post
I'll rest my case. You'll never get it...

You don't get what I'm saying. I perfectly understand wanting to collect the authentic version of whatever you wish to collect. But no one, for one, collects the Mona Lisa and it definitely can not be compared to a sticker... authentic or not.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:55 AM   #28
gkarris
macrumors 604

Authentic is always better.

Sometimes the authentic ones are beyond affordability, so repros are okay for some.

btw - weren't these stickers only available when you bought a Mac?

That's where my stack came from (was an Apple admin back in the day - wish I hadn't thrown out all those manuals...)

Old Apr 4, 2013, 04:01 PM   #29
Fralle
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braniff747SP View Post
You don't get what I'm saying. I perfectly understand wanting to collect the authentic version of whatever you wish to collect. But no one, for one, collects the Mona Lisa and it definitely can not be compared to a sticker... authentic or not.
And you don't get what I'm saying. Its not about comparing Mona Lisa and a sticker. It never was. Its about a fake Mona Lisa and real Mona Lisa or a fake sticker and a real sticker...and that's really final for me. Over and out
Old Apr 7, 2013, 05:58 PM   #30
turbocrow
macrumors newbie

I was handed those stickers while in America from an original box ! good thing I kept hold of them !
turbocrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:00 PM   #31
jekyl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocrow View Post
I was handed those stickers while in America from an original box ! good thing I kept hold of them !
I have a few of them I received ~15 years ago, mailed to me from Apple. I don't recall the circumstances however.
jekyl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 01:03 AM   #32
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevion5 View Post
What is the value of this set of Apple rainbow logo stickers?
A few bucks worth. They are not that hard to find on eBay etc. I had them when I bought my old Performas and PowerBook G3.

However, the ones that are really "rare" are the vintage Apple logo stickers that are made to attach to the INSIDE window of your car. You stick them onto the inside window, and they are 'correctly aligned' when you look at the logo from the outside. The LATER Apple logo stickers are actually meant for you to slap them on the OUTSIDE window of your car, where they can easily be washed or peeled off when you go to the carwash etc.
Solomani is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:57 PM   #33
JoeFkling
macrumors member

Collectors are a funny bunch. young collectors are an even funnier bunch. I collect things that have meaning to me. As far as value? Mainly something to give the insurance company.

Now on stickers, a few bucks maybe, but if your willing to pay $25 they are worth $25, if you are not willing to pay that then they have no value to you, financially speaking.

if you buy things only interesting in their retail value, then you are not a collector, you are an investor and thats a whole other set of principals.
JoeFkling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 01:35 AM   #34
Fralle
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFkling View Post
Collectors are a funny bunch. young collectors are an even funnier bunch. I collect things that have meaning to me. As far as value? Mainly something to give the insurance company.

Now on stickers, a few bucks maybe, but if your willing to pay $25 they are worth $25, if you are not willing to pay that then they have no value to you, financially speaking.

if you buy things only interesting in their retail value, then you are not a collector, you are an investor and thats a whole other set of principals.
Well spoken! When people see my collection they always want to know the monetary value.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:50 AM   #35
tdiaz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fralle View Post
Well spoken! When people see my collection they always want to know the monetary value.
Yup, and it's a question I can't ever answer with a factual number.

"Well, you only paid $5 for it!"

So? What about that one Apple II motherboard that I have, that I got handed to me for free, that there is only one of. It cost me $0, it's certainly got value more than $0.

But the person that gave it to me knew it was going someplace that it would be appreciated, and visible for the future. That is more than the insurance company value. Sure, they may give you a sum if you make a claim, but the real value can never be replaced.
tdiaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 02:24 PM   #36
gkarris
macrumors 604

It is really what the MARKET will pay not what A PERSON is willing to pay.

If one person thinks an Apple II is worth $0, it doesn't make it worth that.

Yet, the same Apple II is not worth $2,000 if a person pays for that just to complete a collection.

If most are will to pay $1,000, then that's the worth...

Unique items, such as a piece of art, the worth is determined at auction plus maybe a board of experts.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors