Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:56 AM   #1
FrederickThomps
macrumors newbie

Video band rehearsals

've got a mcbook pro and
I want to video my musical jams ..me on guitar and a friend on bass ..using 2 audio tracks in GarageBand with apple loops for drums... with a usb audio interface for the AUDio and iMovie with the Mcbook pros built in camera for the video is this at all possible ? I also saw a app called SOUNDFLOWER which seems to be a audio re-routing app..... can this app help ? i guess I'm thinking about multitasking with both the GarageBand DAW and iMovie Video Capture running in parallel !!! Any chance ? or could u suggest another cost effective route ?
FrederickThomps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:50 AM   #2
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

First study all the software which you are hoping to use. Or are you familiar with those softwares?
daybreak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:23 PM   #3
kokako
macrumors regular

You could do it that way but pretty taxing on the mac, you'd have to sync the audio to the video later as would drift too much.

If your band members have either a go pro and a zoom between them, the fisheye on the gopro is cool will capture all of you guys and the zoom recorders are fairly good X/Y stereo mics for rehearsals - sync in final cut and you've got some nice archived footage, whatever route you go do one thing - capture your jams audio+video totally worth doing!
kokako is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 05:36 PM   #4
FrederickThomps
macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestions

thanks guys for your suggestions...i guess cheap doesn't work i am familiar with the software tho music is my speciality ...it seems as if I will need to purchase an additional video recorder
FrederickThomps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:16 PM   #5
jljue
macrumors regular

For that type of stuff, if you and your friends have iPod Touches, iPhones, or some other fairly modern smartphone, it works amazingly well, especially when setup at good angles up close and with enough light. We had one church event where we used about 5 iPhone 4/4S's (iPhone 4S was the most recent at the time) for various shots of band members on stage, and it turned out nicely. I regularly use my iPhone 5 to video praise band practice to verify that my lights match the mood of the song and slide backgrounds, when the main video cameras aren't available.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:06 PM   #6
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederickThomps View Post
've got a mcbook pro and
I want to video my musical jams ..me on guitar and a friend on bass ..using 2 audio tracks in GarageBand with apple loops for drums... with a usb audio interface for the AUDio and iMovie with the Mcbook pros built in camera for the video is this at all possible ? I also saw a app called SOUNDFLOWER which seems to be a audio re-routing app..... can this app help ? i guess I'm thinking about multitasking with both the GarageBand DAW and iMovie Video Capture running in parallel !!! Any chance ? or could u suggest another cost effective route ?
Use ANY video camera other then the Mac's web cam. Even a cell phone. But really your best solutionis to buy a used video camera and a tripod. You can get a usable, older camera (maybe a mini-DV?) for $100 and the picture will actually be good. Then the sync the video and audio in post.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video