Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Aug 1, 2014, 04:47 PM   #351
garbage-barge
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmt-drone View Post
Thought about waiting to see if a new one would get released, but decided I've waited long enough. Ordered a 2.6 i7 Mini with 8GB of RAM, which should be here in time for my days off next week. Now the wait begins.
Welcome to the club. Mine arrives on Tuesday. If a new mini with amazeballs specs magically drops on Tuesday (or the following tuesday) as well, I might reconsider...
garbage-barge is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 09:16 PM   #352
mgmt-drone
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage-barge View Post
Welcome to the club. Mine arrives on Tuesday. If a new mini with amazeballs specs magically drops on Tuesday (or the following tuesday) as well, I might reconsider...
I'm thinking even if something new comes out, you can look for it to go the way of everything else lately with the hard soldered RAM and the like. Have to think if that's a trade off worth making. With the 2.6 i7 and 8GB of RAM, I can always add RAM to eek out a bit more performance, or swap in an SSD. If you go to SSD based computers only with hard soldered RAM, so you could make the Mini considerably smaller.

I'll keep the ability to swap out bits, even with a bit of a speed boost.
mgmt-drone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2014, 06:51 PM   #353
scottsjack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmt-drone View Post
I'll keep the ability to swap out bits, even with a bit of a speed boost.
Same here. I just sold my Mac Pro 5,1. If the new mini is all glued and soldered together I would consider buying a 2012 2.6 i7 as my primary Mac system. That way my 2012 2.3 i7 Mac/Windows machine could become a Windows-only mini. Being able to run both systems at the same time is really helpful.
scottsjack is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2014, 07:44 PM   #354
mgmt-drone
macrumors newbie

New Mini finally arrived today, and thanks to some quick thinking, I was able to catch it before it sat in the local FedEx warehouse for a day before being delivered (it would have technically been on time even still), and picked it up this morning. Now if I would have only been home for the UPS guy with the keyboard, I wouldn't have to be borrowing the keyboard from my work Mac.

Things are switched per pretty quickly, and now it's just odds and ends. I can tell a difference from the work computer to this one in not having the Fusion drive, but still a very sold machine. Very responsive and was handling installing app after app without so much as a hint of a beach ball.
mgmt-drone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2014, 06:44 AM   #355
antonypg
macrumors newbie

Great little machine

I have a number of MacBooks in my house but decided I needed one central machine to act as a server. I bought the base Mac Mini from the refurb store, along with a cheap 23" monitor and a 2nd hand Mac keyboard from ebay. The Mac Mini now gets used all the time, it is great for just about everything, including games. I have installed OS X server and added a couple of 2TB/3TB drives for storage, I am playing around with the OS X Server update caching and time machine features.

The one upgrade I did was to replace the stock 500GB hard drive with a 1TB Momentus XT Hybrid drive, the Mac Mini is now nearer to the performance of an SSD MacBook. Followed all the instructions I found on the web, only took around 20 minutes.
antonypg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:32 AM   #356
Notario
macrumors newbie

The Great - The Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonypg View Post
I have a number of MacBooks in my house but decided I needed one central machine to act as a server. I bought the base Mac Mini from the refurb store, along with a cheap 23" monitor and a 2nd hand Mac keyboard from ebay. The Mac Mini now gets used all the time, it is great for just about everything, including games. I have installed OS X server and added a couple of 2TB/3TB drives for storage, I am playing around with the OS X Server update caching and time machine features.

The one upgrade I did was to replace the stock 500GB hard drive with a 1TB Momentus XT Hybrid drive, the Mac Mini is now nearer to the performance of an SSD MacBook. Followed all the instructions I found on the web, only took around 20 minutes.
Exactly...

As I remarked in another thread:

"Long Live the Mac Mini.....If Only Apple Lets It"

The Mac Mini is a well and truly brilliant product, as much so as the MacBook Air, in my opinion.

All the hallmarks of the genius of Jobs, under whose leadership the product was created.

And so it is a pity that the world's biggest IT company has given the Mac Mini's update so little priority lately.

With 98,000 employees, surely a few could get to work on a new Mac Mini?

In the meantime, it must be conceded, the existing Mac Mini remains fairly great...
Notario is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini