Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Nychot
macrumors 6502a

Impressed with fifth gen

I would not have spent $300 on the new touch. But I was able to get it free from credit card points. That said its an impressive little device. The camera is equal to the one on my ipad mini and ipad 3. The screen is brilliant and is what the Mimi's screen should be. It's fast and truly is a pocket Mac in many ways. But $300 is an insane price. If the mini is $329, which I also got for free with rewards points, the touch should cost no more than $200 for the 32gb. My wonderful 16gb nexus 7 tablet cost $249 when it came out last July. And now the 32gb is I believe $200 or $249. Actually a far better deal than the touch. But again the touch is even more pocketable and equally as powerful.
Nychot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Gav2k
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychot View Post
I would not have spent $300 on the new touch. But I was able to get it free from credit card points. That said its an impressive little device. The camera is equal to the one on my ipad mini and ipad 3. The screen is brilliant and is what the Mimi's screen should be. It's fast and truly is a pocket Mac in many ways. But $300 is an insane price. If the mini is $329, which I also got for free with rewards points, the touch should cost no more than $200 for the 32gb. My wonderful 16gb nexus 7 tablet cost $249 when it came out last July. And now the 32gb is I believe $200 or $249. Actually a far better deal than the touch. But again the touch is even more pocketable and equally as powerful.
The iPod touch and the iPad mini are different products if where honest. Then if we're honest again the iPod touch 5th gen is an iphone 5 without the phone side of things. It's a lot of current gen tech packed into a small package. Take that and look at the mini. The tech inside is a lot older and cheaper to produce.
Gav2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:19 PM   #3
cobbyco
macrumors 6502a

iPod touch:
Higher quality 16:9 display
Camera WITH flash and 'loop'
32GB storage compared to 16GB for base iPad mini
Slimmer design
Comes with 'earPods' earphones

Personally I think the $299/249 price point is perfectly acceptable considering the listed advantages. When put side by side with the iPad mini it's clear that both devices have their upsides and downsides, but both are well priced for what they are.
cobbyco is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:06 PM   #4
urban.spaceman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychot View Post
Depends on how you intend to use the device - if you're buying it alongside a smartphone then yes, that's a lot of money to pay for something that does the exact same thing as your phone except for make calls (which it does anyway with a third party app - for free - as well as free video calls)
However if you're using it as your primary device, with perhaps a dumbphone or even just by itself, then 250 or 330 for 64gb is a perfectly reasonable price to pay for something that does EVERYTHING a smartphone does without being extorted by a phone contract.
urban.spaceman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:25 PM   #5
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

There is an apple discount in my area about 35 bucks off full price and its only one day event.

Should i, should i? Ipad mini remains same place so that gap kinda make little more sense now.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch