Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Homersapien

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Every mobile I've owned has been in a case. Even had the same setup kanesw posted above, which is pretty dang funny considering how ugly but also bulletproof those early Nokia phones were. Used cases with my Treos too, and those things were ridiculously large even without them.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
To me the norm is not having a case. I'm on my 4th iPhone and have never bought owned or used a case or screen protector of any kind.

I admit I do use a Smart Cover with the iPad but that's also for other reasons.

robrob74

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2012
I keep a slim case on mine, only because I have 3 young kids and sometimes when we're out I will load up a video for them to watch, little hands can be clumsy and it just makes me feel better to have it protected. Hopefully by the time they are older and more trustworthy, I can rock the iPhone 12 naked!

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I had a Motorola Razer that was anodized aluminum and it was a thing of beauty. Never had a scratch on it by the way. I have a bumper only on my 4S so I can at least admire it's coolness. The weak, scratch prone aluminum Apple chose to use on the 5 and their obsession with thinness so that the thing bends in your pocket are things that could have been avoided so most people don't have to hide/protect it in a case.

I also tire of the "my phone is perfect in every way, therefore everyone else's problems do not exist" crowd.
My phone is not perfect, it has a few nicks on it. The thing is that I'm not killing myself over them, and I would rather get a few nicks in exchange for the ability to see and feel my bootiful phone everytime I use it.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'd get a screen protector on it and use some sort of pouch case, like the Sena Ultraslim.

When you're not using it, it's in a cover. When you are ... just be careful not to drop it. I think most people get scratches from the surfaces they put the phone in or on. When its in the pouch, not that big of an issue

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
50pcs-lot-bookbook-case-leather-case-phone-case-in-the-lowest-price-with-retails-package-for.jpg

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I have a pouch, so it's protected when I'm carrying it but naked when I'm using it. Great compromise IMO, although obviously won't help if you drop it while using it. Will stop coins scratching it though, and should protect it if it falls out of your pocket.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Unless you're the type to upgrade every time a new phone comes out, I'm skeptical that a few scratches make that big of a difference by the time one plans on selling.

No like after two years, you can sell it to people or companies. Amazon for example, will give me $175 for my "perfect" condition iphone 4 which means no scratches, dents, and everything working. With "good" condition which means the phone still works but there are cosmetic problems, it falls to like $116 I believe. A huge drop for a couple of scratches that could be avoided with a simple case. When selling to individual sellers, perhaps the price won't drop as much but I'll still get more.

Plus, if you don't use a case, you'll love the look of the phone until it drops and it dents/cracks. Then you'll never appreciate the looks as much as if it didn't drop. If you had a case, you can always just take the case off and still appreciate the full beauty.

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I use a case because I worry about the glass breaking if I drop the phone on a pavement. I've always gone for cases that have a raised "lip" around the screen, which hopefully takes the hit in case of a drop, and stops the glass from shattering.

Only dropped my iPhone 4 twice and both times it was in a case and was fine. Now done the same with the iPhone 5.

localboy28

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I can't ever not use a case with my iphone. It feels great without one and it looks awesome but the fact that value of the phone can drop almost up to $100 because of a few scratches, I deal with it.

You'll save that not buying cases
Most people buy a few cases and a few screen guards... It costs quite a bit.

I haven't used any fir my 4s and its still in great condition.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
No case here, just screen guard at front and back. But i do have a battery pack case just for incase when i'm on a trip

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
I use a case because

Every mobile I've owned has been in a case. Even had the same setup kanesw posted above, which is pretty dang funny considering how ugly but also bulletproof those early Nokia phones were. Used cases with my Treos too, and those things were ridiculously large even without them.

I give my 1 year old istuff to my wife or daughter who love to use them but don't like to spend money for them, so I like to keep them like new and pass them down.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
I have the 5 but I still think the 4/4s design is more attractive. I guess the stainless steel band and glass made for a more upscale appearance to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.