Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Stepmcnul
macrumors newbie

Saving default font in Mac Mail

I consider myself somewhat IT literate but this has me stumped. I want to change the default font in Mac Mail (6.2) to something larger. In preferences I can easily change the font but there is no "save" button. So, when I then click to create a new mail message the font defaults back to Helvetica 12. Can someone please help, thanks. I've attached a screenshot if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mail screenshot.png
Views:	77
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	373451  
Stepmcnul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502

You're in the right spot to change it. I just tested this myself and it changes as soon as I choose the new font or size. There is no need to save (or option to do so) and it stays put until I change it back. Something wacky with your machine perhaps? Let us know if you figure it out.
Pharmscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:18 PM   #3
dianeoforegon
macrumors 6502

Testing in a new User will quickly tell you if the problem is system wide or if it's your User's folder that contains the problem.

CREATE A NEW USER

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Accounts. Switch to the New User by logging out/in or use Fast User Switching.

Do you still see the issue?

If yes, then the problem is with your base files.
If no, then the problem is in your User's folder.
dianeoforegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:09 AM   #4
bkoch
macrumors newbie

Having the same problem.

I did CREATE NEW USER and experienced the same problem with the new user.

When you mention "base files" - what files, in what directory, and what problem is being referred to?

Notes: Originally I was trying to modify the signature I would send out via Mail. I would modify the Font Style, Size, and Color and from what I saw on my screen via Mail 6.2 - everything looked fine. I sent myself an email - hopped over to Google Apps to see how Google saw it - Let me tell you Mail 6.2 and Google do not see eye-to-eye. What I saw from on my screen via Mail 6.2 was not what I Google mail saw

I went into ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Signature and looked at the signature file to see what was being sent. Initially, from a font perspective, there are a lot of assumptions with respect so style, size, and color. Then, in the middle of the signature - where font format changed and became "defined" everything changed as to how Google mail saw it (and the rest of my business clients).

Someone out there has to have figured this out. The few of us that are still baffled would like just a few hints on how to resolve this interesting problem.
bkoch is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store