Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:34 PM   #1
NeonGreenHermit
macrumors regular

Got a Mini for Xmas gift, already have a 4...

And I must say, it's very compelling. Easily the most visually and aesthetically thrilling product Apple have designed to date. The screen just isn't good enough for me to dump my 4, but I do think, in a few years time when it has a retina screen and a processor better than the A6X, I'll be boarding the mini boat. The form factor is absolutely killer, makes the 4 feel a little fat and sad.

Just an impression from a very lucky owner of both products, there really isn't a 'better' device out of the two. The wife is getting the mini, she's already chuckling at the envious stares I'm giving it. No more arguments people, both products rock hard and equally.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:44 PM   #2
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

iPad mini is a great device. The time it receives the inevitable retina treatment is the time I go out to buy several of them. Still love my 4 at the moment .

Last edited by haruhiko; Dec 27, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
haruhiko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:48 PM   #3
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

I can put the mini in my pants pocket, it's not a perfect fit but still it's pretty crazy. I have this belkin case that looks like a bookcase and that's what I pretty much carry it around in with the red smart cover attached to it to clean the screen.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:53 PM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
iPad mini is a great device. The time it receives the inevitable retina treatment is the time I went out to buy several of them. Still love my 4 at the moment .
You went out and bought the "inevitable retina" mini? Pretty slick man!!

I'd keep what you think you'll use. I have the 3 but when I travel I kind of wish I had a mini.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:58 PM   #5
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God

I have a 3 (which I think is fantastic) and I tried the mini out in the store. I thought I would end up with the mini as a carry-around, and that would let me downgrade to a 'dumb' phone.

My view was that the mini isn't mini enough. For home use, I'd miss the larger screen of the full sized iPad and for carry-around use it really doesn't buy a lot more portability.

I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy Note II which kind of fills that phone/tablet gap, while still remaining much more portable.
firestarter is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:07 PM   #6
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
You went out and bought the "inevitable retina" mini? Pretty slick man!!

I'd keep what you think you'll use. I have the 3 but when I travel I kind of wish I had a mini.
sorry I was drunk let me correct it.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:22 PM   #7
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGreenHermit View Post
...and a processor better than the A6X
First, let me just say that you've got some generous family or friends to be giving you a 64GB mini as a gift, especially since you've already got an iPad 4, and you've just given it to your wife? Wow, is all I can say! :-)

But that's not the most interesting thing you said, the most interesting thing you said has to do with the processor. What I want to ask is what is wrong with the mini's current processor? As far as I can tell it performs well enough to run every single app I've thrown at it, including graphics intensive apps like Asphalt 7. I've seen people deride the chip, implying that it can't do the job it's supposed to perform today, but I just don't understand this because as a mini owner, as far as I can tell, having owned and used the product daily since launch, it runs everything perfectly well. I don't experience lags or stutters, so I'm just confused as to why it seems to be lacking in your estimation in the chip area. Not trying to be attacking or contentious, but just wanting to understand, because it's a common thing a handful of people (on this forum) keep saying.
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:42 PM   #8
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

The weight of the mini is what truly makes it more of a pleasure to use than the iPad 3 or 4. That paired with the $170 price difference make it a total winner in my books, especially when it comes to games.

Both are stellar products though!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:56 PM   #9
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
The weight of the mini is what truly makes it more of a pleasure to use than the iPad 3 or 4. That paired with the $170 price difference make it a total winner in my books, especially when it comes to games.

Both are stellar products though!
Sitting on the couch, the larger iPad is better IMHO. For anything else that requires travel and such, I appreciate the size if the mini. Or maybe that it is new and shiny makes me like it.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:01 PM   #10
CarlosQG
macrumors 6502a

I read the thread title and couldn't hep to think 'First World Problems'. The mini is horrible, it's a smaller iPad 2. Maybe when it gets the A7 and Retina Display I could consider it. The weight is the one killer feature.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:51 PM   #11
aarif2012
macrumors member

From the title, I thought you are gonna sell one of them..
aarif2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:59 AM   #12
NeonGreenHermit
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosQG View Post
I read the thread title and couldn't hep to think 'First World Problems'. The mini is horrible, it's a smaller iPad 2. Maybe when it gets the A7 and Retina Display I could consider it. The weight is the one killer feature.
Completely first world topic, though not really a problem! Each to their own opinions, I couldn't disagree more about the device.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:51 AM   #13
cardfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGreenHermit View Post
Completely first world topic, though not really a problem! Each to their own opinions, I couldn't disagree more about the device.
We should focus on third world topics instead? I suppose he could always whine how he couldn't afford to buy either one. That's always more interesting..
cardfan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:44 AM   #14
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What on this forum isn't a 'First World Problem'?
SeanR1 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:52 AM   #15
NeonGreenHermit
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
We should focus on third world topics instead? I suppose he could always whine how he couldn't afford to buy either one. That's always more interesting..
Exactly. We're on an Apple forum, I think we can move past discussing the ethics of our privileges. In any case, for the record, I'm not rich at all. Sold my old iPad plus a bunch of other stuff for my 4, felt bad I couldn't afford to replace my wife's senile iPhone 4. It's wonderful that a member of my family is in a position to be so generous, as we were to him when the financial roles were reversed. Everyone has a story, owning more than 1 Apple product doesn't automatically infer snobbery.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
First, let me just say that you've got some generous family or friends to be giving you a 64GB mini as a gift, especially since you've already got an iPad 4, and you've just given it to your wife? Wow, is all I can say! :-)

But that's not the most interesting thing you said, the most interesting thing you said has to do with the processor. What I want to ask is what is wrong with the mini's current processor? As far as I can tell it performs well enough to run every single app I've thrown at it, including graphics intensive apps like Asphalt 7. I've seen people deride the chip, implying that it can't do the job it's supposed to perform today, but I just don't understand this because as a mini owner, as far as I can tell, having owned and used the product daily since launch, it runs everything perfectly well. I don't experience lags or stutters, so I'm just confused as to why it seems to be lacking in your estimation in the chip area. Not trying to be attacking or contentious, but just wanting to understand, because it's a common thing a handful of people (on this forum) keep saying.
The A5 processor on the mini does indeed do everything it's supposed to nicely. However, it is also running at its full capacity - this is evident in 3D games, fluidity of opening apps, general navigation etc. In comparison, the A6X breezes through all of this with tangibly perceived 'CPU room' to spare. In 3D games, the frame rates on the A6X are higher even at double resolution and with anti aliasing, smoke/lighting/reflections all on. The A5 can't handle all of that extra stuff, if you care about that. As a 4 user, it would be a bit of a step back to plump for the mini in its current state after becoming used to all that (even ignoring the non-retina), so I'm happy to wait. But I definitely will be buying a mini when the specs and performance supersede my current 4.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:34 AM   #16
bevsb2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR1 View Post
What on this forum isn't a 'First World Problem'?
Agree. We live in a "First World" fortunately. I doubt Third World people follow MacRumors.
bevsb2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:33 AM   #17
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevsb2 View Post
Agree. We live in a "First World" fortunately. I doubt Third World people follow MacRumors.
I do. not all third world countries are like Bangladesh you know.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:52 AM   #18
Powrie
macrumors regular

I got my sister a Mini for X-mas.

She is starting Culinary School soon and she will use it for recipe and video blogs of her food.
Powrie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:37 AM   #19
mrkjsn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrie View Post
I got my sister a Mini for X-mas.

She is starting Culinary School soon and she will use it for recipe and video blogs of her food.
Both my kids received iPad minis from the wife and I this year and they both love it. My daughter is with her biological mother for a few days so I nabbed her mini and using it for a few days to feel the contrast against my iPad 3. Love the form factor of this thing but much like the OP, I still want the retina.
mrkjsn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:39 AM   #20
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:

The iPad 2 is a great tablet; therefore a small iPad 2 is a great tablet as well.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:08 AM   #21
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:

The A5 chip is not bad, but I think that now that they have used an iPad 4 with A6 chip they feel like it is a step back using the older A5 chip again.

Also, some people just can't live with it: knowing that there's a better (A6) chip out there, while this new product 'only' has an A5 chip.

I think Apple will always be like this with the mini: the big 9.7" model has the (X)-chip while the iPad mini has the (X-1)-chip.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:18 AM   #22
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
The A5 chip is not bad, but I think that now that they have used an iPad 4 with A6 chip they feel like it is a step back using the older A5 chip again.

Also, some people just can't live with it: knowing that there's a better (A6) chip out there, while this new product 'only' has an A5 chip.

I think Apple will always be like this with the mini: the big 9.7" model has the (X)-chip while the iPad mini has the (X-1)-chip.
That just seems silly, that because a faster (better?) chip has been used in another device someone would feel bad about the product that doesn't have it, regardless how it performs. Imagine these chips didn't have incremental numbers that were reported, imagine they were just called, "chips," and you never knew whether one was the most current or the previously available one. This is how most of the world sees these devices, you know, the people who don't work in IT or aren't tech-oriented. What ever would people do to judge the performance of the devices in which these chips played a part??

Last edited by WilliamLondon; Dec 30, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
WilliamLondon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:28 AM   #23
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
That just seems silly, that because a faster (better?) chip has been used in another device someone would feel bad about the product that doesn't have it, regardless how it performs. Imagine these chips didn't have incremental numbers that were reported, imagine they were just called, "chips," and you never knew whether one was the most current or the previously available one. This is how most of the world sees these devices, you know, the people who don't work in IT or aren't tech-oriented. What ever would people do to judge the performance of the devices in which these chips played a part??
Hey, don't blame the messenger!
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:29 PM   #24
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
Hey, don't blame the messenger!
So sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was you who thought that - in fact your post was quite clear that you didn't actually subscribe to that thinking!
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad