Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Agreed. I don't think Apple will update the iPad mini or the regular iPad in March.

Ditto. With the iPad 4 128GB being released in February, there is no way a mini 2 or iPad 5 will be released before July at the earliest but more likely this fall.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Ditto. With the iPad 4 128GB being released in February, there is no way a mini 2 or iPad 5 will be released before July at the earliest but more likely this fall.

Adding another flash storage chip would barely, if even, affect the production of the current iPad at all. It's more like an attempt to entice users to buy the full size models since the Mini is whipping its ass, until that, is they release the iPad 5.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Adding another flash storage chip would barely, if even, affect the production of the current iPad at all. It's more like an attempt to entice users to buy the full size models since the Mini is whipping its ass, until that, is they release the iPad 5.

But they would have waited until March to do that if they were releasing ipad 5 in March.

S

syd430

There's been a clear lack of rumors, or information from parts sellers to indicate that we'd be seeing anything in a couple of months.

Maybe Tim finally doubled down on security. For real this time.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
But they would have waited until March to do that if they were releasing ipad 5 in March.

Why would they? They have the flash storage already. It's a marketing ploy to make sales during this pre iPad 5 period. Disappointing sales have lead to is action...,

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Why would they? They have the flash storage already. It's a marketing ploy to make sales during this pre iPad 5 period. Disappointing sales have lead to is action...,

Because its beyond silly for a company to release a new variant of a product, only to kill it off 1 month later. And they're not exactly marketing the 128GB ipad much. I dont see how a 128gb ipad would entice users to buy it over the mini. The 128GB is nearly as expensive as the MBA. Nearly all the limited info we have now point to fall and not March.

Last edited:

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Yeah there won't be any new iPads until the fall so any1 who's been saying march the past 2 months can shut up now.

paulro

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
Although it seems unlikely, I wouldn't be massively surprised to see an updated iPad Mini soon.

Just about every review I've read of the mini has focused on how low the screen resolution is in comparison to lower priced competition.

I can't see Apple accepting that critisism for long, despite the decent sales of the mini.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Although it seems unlikely, I wouldn't be massively surprised to see an updated iPad Mini soon.

Just about every review I've read of the mini has focused on how low the screen resolution is in comparison to lower priced competition.

I can't see Apple accepting that critisism for long, despite the decent sales of the mini.

Although that's true, I don't think a retina mini is possible to mass produce at the moment.

Harry Toes

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
The natural evolution of what they do would be adding color. I would look for mini's to be available in mutiple colors like the nano and shuffle.

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest
I wish Apple would stick to their original Spring release for iPads and go back to Summer for the release of new iPhones. I don't like waiting until Fall for everything new.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
I hope iPad Mini 2 is announced/released in March with A6 chip and Retina display.

No chance. Too much battery draw. They need IGZO displays and a die shrink of the A6X (not the A6 since that can't drive the retina display - remember the iPhone only has about the same number of pixels as the current mini) so it is too much to expect. The iPad 5 will look like a mini but be available with 128GB storage and retina. Mini will be refreshed around October and may just get a speed bump rather than retina depending on technology availability.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
No chance. Too much battery draw. They need IGZO displays and a die shrink of the A6X (not the A6 since that can't drive the retina display - remember the iPhone only has about the same number of pixels as the current mini) so it is too much to expect. The iPad 5 will look like a mini but be available with 128GB storage and retina. Mini will be refreshed around October and may just get a speed bump rather than retina depending on technology availability.

Exactly. The mini will get an A6 and maybe the 128gb option in the fall. March might see a new iPhone, but you won't see a new ipad. And if anyone really believes that the ipad or iphone will come in colors, you really don't understand Apple's view on thos items. The iPods have colors because they are marketed to kids/young adults. The ipad and iPhone are targeted towards adults/business. This talk about colored iPhones just makes me shake my head, kinda like the ipad mini retina talk does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.