Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 17, 2013, 01:26 PM   #276
flat five
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
I seem to remember reading a lot of posts in the alternatives forum about how plastic wasn't a premium material because it felt cheap. It didn't matter if it was actually easily broken, it just 'felt cheap'.

I'm assuming the 5c will feel cheap as well, yes?
probably a lot less cheap than an iphone wrapped in a $10 case.

dunno, my phone has a (literally) $0.99 bumper on there that's rubber and plastic. and I'm telling you, the phone feels no less cheap than if the bumper was removed.

I don't think a single element of a multi-material object constitutes a cheap or not cheap feeling. it's the whole package with other factors such as heft, usability/ ease of use, function, solidity, etc
flat five is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 01:34 PM   #277
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoobis View Post

lol backtrack backtrack oh, no this bag is not a parachute
I don't think people had a problem with plastic phones.

I think they had a problem with bad plastic phones.
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 01:44 PM   #278
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat five View Post

dunno, my phone has a (literally) $0.99 bumper on there that's rubber and plastic. and I'm telling you, the phone feels no less cheap than if the bumper was removed.

I don't think a single element of a multi-material object constitutes a cheap or not cheap feeling. it's the whole package with other factors such as heft, usability/ ease of use, function, solidity, etc
Same here.

I just think it's amazing that when Samsung uses plastic... it's "cheap" and when Apple does it we're talking about "premium plastic". I have to agree with the thing about the 10$ case, by the way.

I wonder if people are going to case their plastic iPhone in more plastic?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 02:17 PM   #279
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:

I never understood all the people that would buy an expensive and beautiful iPhone just to wrap it in a case, ANY case.

I use my 4S naked, even if I am wary of breaking it.

But the 5C is expensive for what it looks like, even if you're a case person.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 03:07 PM   #280
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
So obviously your phone is under warranty or you have paid for Apple Care to do that then? Because when it's out of warranty, you suddenly cannot replace a phone for free, unsurprisingly.
Actually, I didn't pay for a warranty.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 03:48 PM   #281
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I never understood all the people that would buy an expensive and beautiful iPhone just to wrap it in a case, ANY case.

I wish I could have done that with my 4s, it looks so nice as is and a case kind of ruins the look of the phone. However the phone is so smooth I worry about dropping it even though I have never dropped a cell phone yet with no case that could be a lot easier to do.
Xiroteus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 04:51 PM   #282
xensaenigma
macrumors member

That's a decent ad, as far as marketing goes. It shows off the look of the phone and has a pretty upbeat vibe to it. The 5C isn't my thing but I can see a lot of people buying it.

What I'd like is a way to tone down colours, like on OS X with the graphite theme. I don't dislike colour but I do like things to be subtle.

I hope Apple does extremely well regardless of the colour debate.
xensaenigma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 05:32 PM   #283
Johns12
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMark View Post
Yes....., and so was my first Mac. My first Apple Laptop, my first iPod and indeed my iPhone but that is not the point.

Apple has put itself on a pedestal and has traded on the reputation of quality design, build quality and innovation. I personally have never had an issue with paying more for something that looks and feels like a quality product in the current market.

For the price, form and function, this is not what I have come to expect and is something I would not consider purchasing.

What Jony should be saying is "we are unapologetically, not going to continue to make the iPhone 5 and knock $100 of the price. Instead we are going to make it out of plastic, to mitigate this loss in profit" If they are going to be "unapologetic" about anything they should at least be honest and tell the truth, rather than try to hood wink everybody into believing that calling Plastic, Polycarbonate is innovation.

Come to think of it, we should have really seen the signs..... The new Mac Pro is made of plastic, not aluminium any more.

With that in mind, I am not looking forwards to future iMac and Laptop launches.

They will probably roll out Mr Jony to start mumbling on [uncomfortably] about how they have reinvented plastic and then knock $50 off the price off the aluminium ones (if we are lucky). At worse and if the RDF is in full effect and they get away with the 5C, they will most likely be charging us more, claiming to be saving the planet and saving precious metal's in the process of increasing their company value.

Did I mention I think plastic is a step backwards..?
The new Mac Pro is not made out of plastic.
Johns12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:05 PM   #284
Spacial
macrumors 6502

Apple's narcissism is a never ending source of amazing, continual displays of egotism.
Spacial is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:59 PM   #285
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
i just saw this on tv. it's ok i guess
Old Sep 17, 2013, 08:00 PM   #286
Nahaz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
Whichever one was beautiful and fit for the purpose.
The purpose is to hold flowers and/or water, which they all do.

I guess Tupperware is beautiful for you?
Nahaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 09:37 PM   #287
flat five
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post

well, you're half way there then by admitting that at least.. i mean most, by far, do put a case on their phones.. just because you don't or can't understand it doesn't mean the majority of people are idiots.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
Same here.

I just think it's amazing that when Samsung uses plastic... it's "cheap" and when Apple does it we're talking about "premium plastic". I have to agree with the thing about the 10$ case, by the way.

I wonder if people are going to case their plastic iPhone in more plastic?
you're really wondering that? i'm sure youve seen these already, right?

Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:31 PM   #288
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahaz View Post
...I guess Tupperware is beautiful for you?

Not at all. Whatever gave you that idea?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:31 AM   #289
Nahaz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post

Not at all. Whatever gave you that idea?
You did, as you considered the price of the 5c to be valid, as you would pay for something that can look good in an inferior material, compared to what they use to make before at the roughly the same price.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:11 AM   #290
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You did, as you considered the price of the 5c to be valid, as you would pay for something that can look good in an inferior material, compared to what they use to make before at the roughly the same price.
How on earth did you infer all that?

"Inferior" can be a very subjective term. Some people might regard plastic as inferior aesthetically for a phone. And that's okay. I accept that. It's a subjective judgement - so everybody gets to be right (even if they can't convince everybody else )

On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily regard all plastic as functionally inferior for a phone. Certain types of plastic, perhaps.

Last edited by Arran; Sep 18, 2013 at 06:21 AM.
Arran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 07:24 AM   #291
Asia8
macrumors member

The fleshy pink material flying around, makes me think of fleshy pink stuff.
Asia8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:17 AM   #292
flat five
macrumors 68000

Quote:
you're talking as if there's only one grade of plastic and it's the same as a plastic spoon.

dunno, in my work, i offer various sheeting materials for the final product.. birch, steel, & plastic..

the plastic (it's a phenolic resin) is by far the most durable and functional.. it's also the most expensive (almost 2x steel costs and 3x wood).. i'm really not sure how you're claiming (all) plastic is an inferior material.

inferior in what ways? can you list the reasons why it's inferior or are you just making some sort of blanket statement with no logical reasoning behind it?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 02:44 AM   #293
Nahaz
macrumors regular

Quote:
inferior in what ways? can you list the reasons why it's inferior or are you just making some sort of blanket statement with no logical reasoning behind it?
My main point was about the price of what is basically a 1 year old iPhone 5 in a poly-carbonate body. It's not their flagship phone, even though some might say it is. If it was then add everything the 5c has going for it and throw it in the plastic body. For only a small price difference of about $100-$140 you may as well go the 5s. You're already paying a premium price.

I still prefer the iPhone 4/4s body, but each to their own. I find the glass easier to clean in some environments unlike polycarbonate which can react with some cleaning products. As a product that is being used over and over again, I will be interested to see how it holds up against staining, as polycarbonate is usually porous as well. I could mention scratching etc, but my original post was leaning towards the phones price. It just ended up down this path
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:32 PM   #294
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
But isn't that kind of going backwards?
Going by the vast majority of reviews that have been posted so far, it actually seems that it's very forward thanks to an excellent build quality and material choice.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:34 PM   #295
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodcc View Post
i just saw this on tv. it's ok i guess
Me too. My 11 year-old brother wants the 5S for the fingerprint scanner. Kinda broke my heart, as I thought he would love the green 5C.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion