Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I just opened my new iPad Mini (black), and it is so beautiful and delicate.

How do you protect it when not on your hands? The black finish looks so prone to scratches, is it? I always found hard to scratch the standard iPad, now this one scares me of not being careful enough.

I don't want to use a case, because cases are thick and make the mini looks bigger and heavier, so I was planning on using a Smart Cover + Sleeve.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Mine is a month old now, caseless and no scratches. I take it to work with me everyday. Live your life and stop worrying about little things.

What I mean is when you need to put it over a desk or let it sit everywhere.

Will it scratch from that?

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I treat my iPad 2 like a paper book and let my nieces use it all day, there is no case and the aluminum don't look bad because scratches are hard to spot, now the iPhone 5 which reminds me the iPad mini finish, the scratches are horribles, light silver.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York

How do you protect it when not on your hands? The black finish looks so prone to scratches, is it? I always found hard to scratch the standard iPad, now this one scares me of not being careful enough.

I don't want to use a case, because cases are thick and make the mini looks bigger and heavier, so I was planning on using a Smart Cover + Sleeve.

I use a smart cover and an Incase Neoprene Sleeve. Perfect solution to what you want. I carry it around with me and put it down wherever. The smart cover provides me with stand options and extra glass protection. If I want to use the iPad naked, I just pull off the smart cover. I find this setup very versatile and practical as well. Recently I added the Rocketfish hard case from Best Buy. Its basically a thin plastic shell to cover the back for more peace of mind. It all fits nicely in the sleeve too.

Last edited:

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
A good suggestion if you don't want to use a case is to invest in a skin for the back of the iPad. I use an iCarbons on my black/slate mini. However, I also have it in a black Speck Candyshell as no skin will protect from drops. :D

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I my have bigger problems :/

1/3 or maybe 1/4 of my screen is yellow.. The screen is perfect, except for that. Is it true that it may be glue? It is not normal, how can just the botton be yellow?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
If my Black iPhone 5 had a finish as good as my Black iPad Mini, I'd be satisfied. But there's quite a difference. I carry them both daily so the exposure is almost identical. The iPad remains blemish & scratch free. I can't say the same about the iPhone.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
1/3 or maybe 1/4 of my screen is yellow.. The screen is perfect, except for that. Is it true that it may be glue? It is not normal, how can just the botton be yellow?

Do you live near an Apple Store? I would take it in to get it checked out. Compare it to the iPad's in the store and if it definitely looks yellow you should get a new one.

madgibbon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2013

I had exactly the same problem after three weeks. Take it back and get it swapped out.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

I'm just using a smart cover around the house, I have not gotten any scratches on my iPad mini yet and I've had it since November. And yes, it's black and slate.

Time to get it replaced under warranty.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I switched from an iPad 3 to the mini and gave my 3 to my wife. I always like a hard shell on the back my iPads, not only to protect them but I find that it improves grip on them.

I am using this one from Amazon for $7 and change. Clear so the back of the mini is visible but gives me the protection I am looking for. I also use a Smart Cover for it as we'll. This shell helps hold the Smart Cover in place and not disconnect by accident. It is cheap enough that if I need to replace it I can without a huge cost. I take the Mini to work each day, watch videos and surf the net at lunch.

poetic ipad mini hard shell - clear

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
There is no apple store in brazil other than the website. Got it yesterday and call Apple today. Apple told me to take it to repair. :/

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
I've had mine for about 7 months and have had no issues with scratches. i use it everyday for work in and out of a briefcase. I use a smart cover but no skin on the back.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
There is no apple store in brazil other than the website. Got it yesterday and call Apple today. Apple told me to take it to repair. :/

Return it. Send it in as a return, not a warranty problem, then order a new one. If they send you a warranty replacement it'll probably be refurbished. I'm not saying that's bad but I'd still prefer to get a new one.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I returned it. I sant to order another one, but I'm afraid of getting another bad screen.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I returned it. I sant to order another one, but I'm afraid of getting another bad screen.

I ordered two minis in the last few weeks. Both are fine. I'd say you have a MUCH greater chance of getting a good screen than you do another bad one. Don't worry about it.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My girl has the black Mini and she keeps it in a cheap Amazon case like this without a hole around the logo:

targus-vuscape.png

When she's out and about its in one of her bags loose with everything else. There is one slight scratch by the lightning port and a few nicks on the bevel. Everything else looks fine.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
My girl has the black Mini and she keeps it in a cheap Amazon case like this without a hole around the logo:

When she's out and about its in one of her bags loose with everything else. There is one slight scratch by the lightning port and a few nicks on the bevel. Everything else looks fine.

I have a case like that on my Nexus 7 and love it. I've been thinking of getting one for my Mini also. The one on my Nexus 7 is from Poetic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.