Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Apr 20, 2015, 04:46 PM   #4751
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
My wife suggested I take a batch of my pre-folded-by-me small filters and stick them in the glove box [of the family car]. That seems pretty prudent, since I'm sure in the packing chaos I'll forget them, and a Chemex without Chemex filters is a worthless piece of glass.

Speaking of: the factory pre-folded are the way to go, unless (as a reviewer on Amazon pointed out), "You're fond of doing origami in the morning"

I can't agree more: the folded ones are quicker to use (if only by a few seconds), but they also store more easily. The box is about the size of a large box of tea, or traditional filters. When they're unfolded, the box it like a giant flat package that doesn't really fit well into a pantry or cabinet.
Well, reading your earlier post, it struck me that it would be the sort of thing that one is all too likely to forget - rendering the Chemex itself pretty useless, as you have pointed out - and, unlike the standard coffee filters, these are not the sort of things one can just pick up at any half decent store.

I know that it is the sort of thing that I could possibly overlook (having packed everything else) - and then spend several hours of a subsequent journey mentally kicking oneself….

An excellent idea, by the way, to buy the pre-folded filters. No, I am not a fan of - or fond of - origami in the morning (and nor am I a fan of anything that requires too much independent thought in the morning).

When I finally do around to ordering a Chemex, I'll make sure to order them, as well, at the same time.
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2015, 05:45 AM   #4752
SandboxGeneral
macrumors Core

An order of Blue Bottle coffee has been dispatched to me and should arrive by the end of the week.

This time they've sent a blend called Régulo de Rivas.
Quote:
A delicate drip blend composed of three Costa Rican selections, the Régulo de Rivas is a sparkly riff on our other, sturdier drip blends. Rather than picking lots with a distinct profile in mind, our coffee sourcing team (with input from our Digital team) aimed for an ever-evolving interplay of flavors. In an appropriate twist, this coffee is available for online purchase only. What powers our indefatigable Digital team, anyway? What puts gas in their tank and allows them to code for arduous, eye-reddening stretches? To be honest, it’s probably some combination of smarts, willpower, and fancy ramen enjoyed in one of Oakland’s many tucked-away spots. But a well-brewed cup of the Régulo de Rivas never hurt.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 06:40 AM   #4753
D.T.
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
An order of Blue Bottle coffee has been dispatched to me and should arrive by the end of the week.

Are you on their "blended" subscription? I've scored some single bags on occasion, but was thinking of setting up something like a bi-monthly sub.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 01:52 PM   #4754
mobilehaathi
macrumors 603

Quote:

Let us know how you enjoy it!
You'll have, I'm sure, no reason to complain."
mobilehaathi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2015, 05:12 PM   #4755
SandboxGeneral
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Are you on their "blended" subscription? I've scored some single bags on occasion, but was thinking of setting up something like a bi-monthly sub.
Yes, I have been on the blended subscription. After this shipment I'm going to be on the 'origins' subscription for a while. I like to switch it up once in a while.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 06:33 AM   #4756
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

This morning saw yet another offering from the Ethiopian Coffee Company opened: The coffee is 'Yirgacheffe Aricha Washed' and it is a lovely, smooth, rich, complex, and clean tasting coffee. Yum.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2015, 07:12 AM   #4757
SandboxGeneral
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
This morning saw yet another offering from the Ethiopian Coffee Company opened: The coffee is 'Yirgacheffe Aricha Washed' and it is a lovely, smooth, rich, complex, and clean tasting coffee. Yum.
Sounds like you have another Ethiopian winner. Enjoy!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 07:23 AM   #4758
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Sounds like you have another Ethiopian winner. Enjoy!
Yes, I have become a very big fan of Ethiopian coffees in recent months, as fellow readers of the thread will have seen.

This is a very good company, and I have just been visiting their website, hunting for the magic word, 'Yirgacheffe'.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion