Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:34 PM   #1
MDFang
macrumors member

Customizing sidebar icons

Hey all,

I know it's possible to get back the colorful sidebar icons and all, but what if I want to apply my own, custom icons to the sidebar items? All some Google searches turn up in the "colorful sidebar" stuff, which is not what I'm looking for.
Most of the sidebar items in question already have a custom icon for their actual folder, but of course that's not showing in the sidebar.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
MDFang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Markovich
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFang View Post
Hey all,

I know it's possible to get back the colorful sidebar icons and all, but what if I want to apply my own, custom icons to the sidebar items? All some Google searches turn up in the "colorful sidebar" stuff, which is not what I'm looking for.
Most of the sidebar items in question already have a custom icon for their actual folder, but of course that's not showing in the sidebar.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Try SideEffects at http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/43078/sideeffects
I have it on my ML install and it works fine, now I wish someone would do the same for the finder icons.
iPad
Markovich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:26 AM   #3
MDFang
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovich View Post
Try SideEffects at http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/43078/sideeffects
I have it on my ML install and it works fine, now I wish someone would do the same for the finder icons.
As I stated, that just brings back the color in the items, which is not what I'm looking for,
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:41 AM   #4
PeterHolbrook
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFang View Post
As I stated, that just brings back the color in the items, which is not what I'm looking for,
??? I have a customised icon for my flash drive and SideEffects displays it correctly on the sidebar. I fail to see what else you might wish for.
PeterHolbrook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:26 AM   #5
MDFang
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterHolbrook View Post
??? I have a customised icon for my flash drive and SideEffects displays it correctly on the sidebar. I fail to see what else you might wish for.
Oh, apologies, I always assumed that SideEffects just brought back the default icons in color, not that it would use the custom icons as in Snow Leopard!
Well it worked. Thanks, and sorry for the trouble!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion