Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
I've been using Notes for a long time, but I've had it set up with my IMAP email account rather than with iCloud. Are there any pros or cons to switching my Notes over to iCloud? Using my IMAP email account seems to be OK, except for the occasional duplicate note (which only seems to happen if the internet connection is spotty or if a note grows too large).

All feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I've been using Notes for a long time, but I've had it set up with my IMAP email account rather than with iCloud. Are there any pros or cons to switching my Notes over to iCloud? Using my IMAP email account seems to be OK, except for the occasional duplicate note (which only seems to happen if the internet connection is spotty or if a note grows too large).

All feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Notes only saves to IMAP. If you use Notes with iCloud, it just makes a "Notes" folder on the iCloud IMAP server, and forces you to create an @icloud.com email address.

Notes on iCloud IMAP is no different than Notes on Gmail IMAP.

I moved from Gmail to iCloud in anticipation of Mountain Lion having iCloud notes ... then I learned it works with Notes on Gmail. :p

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can you create or edit notes in Gmail and have them appear in Notes on the phone?

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Notes only saves to IMAP. If you use Notes with iCloud, it just makes a "Notes" folder on the iCloud IMAP server, and forces you to create an @icloud.com email address.

Notes on iCloud IMAP is no different than Notes on Gmail IMAP.

I moved from Gmail to iCloud in anticipation of Mountain Lion having iCloud notes ... then I learned it works with Notes on Gmail. :p

Thanks for the feedback. If that's the case, I'll probably just stick to my current setup, as I don't have (or particularly want/need) an iCloud email address.

On a related note, I've only been using Reminders on my iPhone. If I want my reminders to start syncing over to my MBP, do I need an iCloud email address, or do Reminders sync via iCloud *without* the need for an iCloud email address? Thanks again.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Can you create or edit notes in Gmail and have them appear in Notes on the phone?

This !

Also, try a simple but very creative app called Notestand ...

----------

Thanks for the feedback. If that's the case, I'll probably just stick to my current setup, as I don't have (or particularly want/need) an iCloud email address.

On a related note, I've only been using Reminders on my iPhone. If I want my reminders to start syncing over to my MBP, do I need an iCloud email address, or do Reminders sync via iCloud *without* the need for an iCloud email address? Thanks again.

Needs iCloud Account Sync (not only Apple ID!) otherwise its only stays on the phone.

Also, if you have Apple Computers like MBP/iMac then Notes on iCloud is better than any other imap based one because Mountain Lion comes with Notes & Reminder Apps integrated so works everywhere

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.