Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
This is retarded, I constantly accidentally send duplicate texts because I'm trying to copy it. Sending as a text message is completely unrelated and is redundant because the option is already available elsewhere.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
How so?

So I got to iMessage someone and it's important but it won't send straight away I hold the bubble and send as a text. Works for me

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
How so?

So I got to iMessage someone and it's important but it won't send straight away I hold the bubble and send as a text. Works for me

That's what the red bubble w exclamation point to the right of the message is for!

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i think its so if you have a crummy data connection and imessage isnt working well, you can choose to send it immediately as a text instead of waiting 10 minutes for ios to do it for you.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
My friend has iMessage on his Mac but no data on his phone so when I try to send him a text but he's not on his computer it tries to send as an iMessage so I use that option to send the message as a text because for some reason it won't do it automatically even though the iMessage doesn't deliver. Holy run-on sentence

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Then what is it for?

That's alerting you the message couldn't send at all.

iMessages that remain undelivered are sent as texts 10 minutes later. Instead of waiting that period of time knowing it wont send you can rush it along to send as a text.

Easy no?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
It's to alert you that a message has failed to send, you can retry or cancel it, whichever you want.

But it also gives you the option to "send as a text message" which is the only time you really need that option

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
But it also gives you the option to "send as a text message" which is the only time you really need that option
Well, as mentioned before, it's not the only time--you might decide to send an iMessage as a text message before it fails (typically only after 10+ minutes) so that you can get your message sent immediately and not delay and wait for it to actually fail.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
Well, as mentioned before, it's not the only time--you might decide to send an iMessage as a text message before it fails (typically only after 10+ minutes) so that you can get your message sent immediately and not delay and wait for it to actually fail.

I use that all the time. SMS is more reliable in low signal or congested areas.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Oh ok, gotcha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.