Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfoley89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Alright, so i've set my macbook up with 2 separate users, I've got mine all setup but we are trying to setup my misses account, it wont let her download any of her iTunes stuff, it comes up saying cant use 2 accounts with one computer, thats goto be fixable considering we are in separate user accounts right?

Akaba

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Yeah, more info needed. This works fine on our family's computers.

Indeed, this works fine on my Mac also, so there is definitely a way.
However, you cannot run iTunes on on user, then switch users, and try to start iTunes over again. So the first on needs to quit iTunes first. And as said by another poster, have a look at which Apple-ID the account was set-up with.
This can also be tricky when using an iPad with different users.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
However, you cannot run iTunes on on user, then switch users, and try to start iTunes over again. So the first on needs to quit iTunes first

I'm not doubting your experience, but we do that all the time. My wife rarely logs me out--or quits any programs--when she logs into our Mini. iTunes runs just fine.

Akaba

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
I'm not doubting your experience, but we do that all the time. My wife rarely logs me out--or quits any programs--when she logs into our Mini. iTunes runs just fine.

Thank you for your polite reaction.

I probably expressed myself wrongly: what I don't manage to do is for example to run iTunes under my AppleID - to have my library - and streaming the music to external speakers, and then have my daughter logging on into her account and start "her" iTunes (while mine is still running) to have access to her own music library with her AppleID), all on the same Mac- which would create a situation where I could e.g. listen to classical musing in the living-room, while she would enjoy some pop while chattig with friends).
(OK, this might not be the brightest setup, but when we started using iTunes, we had no clue what would happen and if we would be able to see each others music or not ...).

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Ah, yes we have the same problem then. Logging out of one account stops playback on that library. I wish it kept going in the background--some other processes seem to, after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.