Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

francis21

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2011
Mississauga, ON, Canada
Hey there everyone!

I would like to get your opinion, especially for programmers in this case, should I downgrade from ML to SL if I will be doing mainly programming work? Note that I have a base line 2011, 11" MBA (I upgraded the SSD to 120 GB from a third party company: OWC).

I noticed from my iStat Menu monitor that my memory during normal usage is pretty much sucked-up completely: pretty much of what is left is around 20 MB, fluctuating over time. But the computer runs fine with ML.

I actually bought my Mac with Lion, so I got started being used to the Mission Control, etc., but I wouldn't mine going back.

The only thing that makes me worried is compatibility issues. For instance, thunderbolt hard drives might pose a problem.

What do you guys think? Especially for programmers, and for those people who have simply downgraded from ML to SL.

Cheers!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Since there a no 2011 MBAs coming with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard lacks the proper drivers for the hardware, and as the 2011 MBA had a new Thunderbolt chip in it, it is especially painful to downgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, if not even impossible.

Late 2011 MBPs and 2011 Mac minis and 2011 iMacs could be downgraded to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard successfully though, as they share the hardware with early 2011 MBPs.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers, as this has been discussed several times already:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.