Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
However, on my iPad 2, the white bezel never seemed to bug me until recent months, when I started watching more videos than before. I would at times notice the white bezel - and with my boyfriend's black iPad, the screen blended in more. I also like the look of the black as it is sleek and elegant,

You answered your own question.

Get the black this time round. You can always go white whenever you upgrade in the future.

I prefer the black on the iPad mini (I had a black iPad, white iPad 2, white iPad 3) as i prefer not only the black this bezel, but the whole shell - it makes it look much slimmer and sexier.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Color is color, if you think white is more distracting then go for the black. Personally, I prefer the black models over the white but that's just me

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I find the white bezel is actually a functional help for my uses. I read a lot at night (thus black pages, white text) and I find the distinction between bezel and screen is great so I can visually see the boundary for page turning.

I also prefer the aesthetics of the white :)

sphumi

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
I have the white mini and I don't think the bezel is distracting. I prefer it to the black bezel to be honest.

Atomic54

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
World of Mac's
I Had a Black iPad 2 but it had a fault so i Got a white one instead and i Prefer it in white, it looks more sleek, modern and looks nice with the black buttons and aluminium back.

But he Mini (of which i hate for many reasons,starting with Tim Cook backstabing Steve Jobs!) in my opinion looks better in Black.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
But he Mini (of which i hate for many reasons,starting with Tim Cook backstabing Steve Jobs!) in my opinion looks better in Black.

You hate someone for releasing a product an old CEO refused to release?

Its time to grow up.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
get a black case for movie time. Get the colour you want, and then cover up the iPad with a black case when you want to watch movies.. easy.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I have a white iPhone 4S, a white iPad Mini and a black iPad 3.

I'm a girl too, and I love the white on the phone and Mini, just gorgeous! However, I think the black is better on a larger tablet, and I have no particular reason just looks better.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Our family shares a white iPad 2. But when decided to purchase my own iPad Mini, I went with the black one because the white bezel is too distracting for me.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Personally I never noticed the differences between the two when watching videos. I had a black ipad mini then went to a white ipad 3 and then even to a black ipad 4 which I am typing on now. I noticed it mostly when I was looking at the ipad without using, as weird as that sounds. Watching videos or loading pages on a white or black ipad didn't reveal much of a difference to me.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I thought white was a bit distracting on the IPAD 3. The mini has a reduced bezel so I want to see if it isn't as distracting on the mini due to the reduced bezel. ;)

I have a white iPad Mini and haven't once found or even thought of the bezel as being distracting. But, as others here have said, I think you've answered your own question. Go with the black this time and see how you like it. Odds are it wont be the last iPad you purchase. :p

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Going from an iPad 2 to a mini, I am not sure if I want a white or a black one. I love the white iPads/iPhones, and white has always been my color of choice. I'm a girl, and the white has always seemed more fun and different to me. It stands out from the rest of these typical black tablets and phones (heck even Apple uses the white iPads more often in their commercials).

However, on my iPad 2, the white bezel never seemed to bug me until recent months, when I started watching more videos than before. I would at times notice the white bezel - and with my boyfriend's black iPad, the screen blended in more. I also like the look of the black as it is sleek and elegant, but I have always been partial to the white. But since the minis have a smaller bezel (especially on the sides), are they less distracting than on the bigger iPads? Or is it about the same? I already have a white iPhone and I'd rather get the white iPad as it would match my phone, but I am also considering going black this time. Any tips / advice from those with minis?

Really, how much time do you have on your hands? Solution: buy a black bedsheet and cut a hole in it for the screen, then all you will see is a display and black as far as the eye can see. This colour argument is stupid. Neither black nor white distracts from the display- IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD! Gee whizz...

gmikesell

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I got the white iPad mini mainly because if the aluminum backing gets a scratch it won't be nearly as noticeable on the white one as it presumably would on the black one. I know a lot of people will use a case and feel that that is a non-issue but thats just how I roll. As far as the color of the bezel, it doesn't matter much to me if its white or black, they both look good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.