Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtalksall

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
After years of using PCs & my HP dv3500 having many issues... I'm ready to switch to rMBP 15" Before I jump the gun though I have a few questions. I'm not too tech savvy, so please bear with me. I am a blogger and social media manager for multiple web sites. I spend anywhere from 6-12 hours at a time on my computer.
My current laptop is an intel core dup CPU P7350 @ 2.00 GHz 2000 Mhz with 4.00 GB physical Memory and 8.19 GB virtual memory on a 64 bit operating system.
1. Checking out the apple store it seems like the bare bone 15" rMBP priced at $2,199 is comparable to my computer.... right? Or do I need to add anything to it?
2. I'm a little concerned about overheating. I do the majority of my work from the couch or bed, would I need to purchase a cooling mat? I heard Macs tend to overheat more than PCs & mine get's warm at times, but I keep a book under it & that normally keeps it from shutting down.
3. There are some days my computer acts like it wants to die any second & other days where it runs smoothly. If I can wait it out, do you think it's worth waiting until June for the rumored updates?
Thanks! :D

nickftw8686

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
After years of using PCs & my HP dv3500 having many issues... I'm ready to switch to rMBP 15" Before I jump the gun though I have a few questions. I'm not too tech savvy, so please bear with me. I am a blogger and social media manager for multiple web sites. I spend anywhere from 6-12 hours at a time on my computer.
My current laptop is an intel core dup CPU P7350 @ 2.00 GHz 2000 Mhz with 4.00 GB physical Memory and 8.19 GB virtual memory on a 64 bit operating system.
1. Checking out the apple store it seems like the bare bone 15" rMBP priced at $2,199 is comparable to my computer.... right? Or do I need to add anything to it?
2. I'm a little concerned about overheating. I do the majority of my work from the couch or bed, would I need to purchase a cooling mat? I heard Macs tend to overheat more than PCs & mine get's warm at times, but I keep a book under it & that normally keeps it from shutting down.
3. There are some days my computer acts like it wants to die any second & other days where it runs smoothly. If I can wait it out, do you think it's worth waiting until June for the rumored updates?

Sounds like from what you do for a living, the base 15 inch rmbp will be just fine for you. You will be going from a old dual core to a new quad core cpu, more ram, and ssd. you did not list your HD space on your current laptop so do you think you will need over 256gb with you at once? Can also hook up an external drive for more when at the office or home.

Cooling should not be an issue as long as you let the vents breath and aren't maxing out the computer with it on a comforter or something. The rmbp has the all new fan/cooling design so it is even better then current macs.

The next update should bring a cpu bump and mild gpu bump, they might offer different storage options but I do not see a big update this time around.

I think for your needs you will be just fine with the current one for awhile. Correct me if I am wrong but I am guessing your not going to be doing any crazy computing like running multiple virtual machines or extreme cpu/ ram intensive tasks where an upgraded cpu or more ram would be needed?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004

Your old computer was an older dual core, and not a terribly good one either. The rmbp is a quad core. To translate, an rmbp is probably 5x faster. You can buy a cooling pad for $30 anywhere, but you might not need it. Nothing you are doing sounds terribly intensive as far as computer power is concerned. You could probably get by just fine with a 13" macbook air, but it depends if you want the fancy screen of the rmbp. The main thing in your position that you want to think about also is HD space. How many gigabytes of files are you dealing with? Is 256GB enough space for you?

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
The dv3500 is an piece of junk compared to the rMBP. Nothing you can buy today is comparable to it, but if you can do your job with the HP then your qualifications are not terribly high for a good computer.

You do not need a rMBP. For what you describe you will be just as well off with a 13" Macbook Air. You aren't doing anything computer intensive. You don't need a lot of memory or video processing power.

If you're sitting on the couch or bed the Air is a better choice. It will not overheat but will become somewhat warm watching movies.

No need to wait for the next generation, just buy get one now! If you have your heart set on a Retina model go for it, but I believe you'd be better off with a smaller model and saving yourself a grand.

dtalksall

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I think for your needs you will be just fine with the current one for awhile. Correct me if I am wrong but I am guessing your not going to be doing any crazy computing like running multiple virtual machines or extreme cpu/ ram intensive tasks where an upgraded cpu or more ram would be needed?

No, nothing like that. I do at times have 4-5 open browsers with 10-20 tabs on each. I know this can slow down the computer a bit, but it's nothing crazy.

----------

The main thing in your position that you want to think about also is HD space. How many gigabytes of files are you dealing with? Is 256GB enough space for you?

My computer has 288 GB with 85.9 GB free. So I might add more to the rMBP just to be safe. Or get an external HD.

----------

You do not need a rMBP. For what you describe you will be just as well off with a 13" Macbook Air. You aren't doing anything computer intensive. You don't need a lot of memory or video processing power.

I was back & forth between an air and a MBP. I decided months ago, that I need the larger screen. I do minor photo editing, and having two browsers open at once is just a tad too small on the air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.