Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
At least Apple isn't greedy and trying to monopolize everything to maximize profit like Google does.

----------

Android caught up because they made improvements and changes much faster than Apple. And do you think that while Apple is trying to catch up on maps that Google is just going to stop and rest on their laurels? My guess is Google is going to keep moving along as they have been.

I'm not contesting that point. I'm contesting the notion that just cuz Apple screwed up they should scrap the project. Let them produce the app there are certain design elements that are better than google's and it could turn into a real viable alternative for many people soon. And was just using Android as a good example of what happens when a company sticks to their guns and really make improvements on a product.

ImageWrangler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2007
upstate New York
As an NYC native I, for one, love HopStop, it's one of the best out there for accuracy though due to MTA trying to be accurate is a bit like trying nail jello to a tree. I've probably tried them all (as of 2012) and HopStop is my go-to app for the NYC subway. The only downside is sometimes it doesn't know a lot of rail closures late at night so one time I'd have been faster to walk from Chinatown back up to Morningside Heights where I live, the other is the alerts of issues sometimes come to fast too often but I do understand they could be handy. Also the developers should have a sense of humor and say the G train doesn't exist and is a hoax, which, might as well be. Other than that though splendid app and smart on Apple.

This said, I still use Google Maps on the surface streets because, well, it's many times better, that and Waze.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I'm not contesting that point. I'm contesting the notion that just cuz Apple screwed up they should scrap the project.
I don't think they should scrap their Maps app either, but in the meantime I'm tired of being a "beta tester" for Apple's newest "features." First Siri, now this. I'm getting tired of Apple releasing half-done software. The fact they used to wait until things were finished was one of Apple's greatest qualities.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Whenever we hear about an upcoming Android phone, people like to say, "I'm glad Apple getting some competition because Apple will be motivated to stay on top of their game."

Why aren't we hearing any of that here? Apple is trying to build a competing mapping solution. If we go by the "competition is good" idea, then Apple's actions should be a good thing because it will force Google to stay on top of their game.

If Apple want to go by the "competition is good" mantra then that's fine - let me select which mapping application I want to be the default on my device.

But I can't. And that's what annoys people - you can't have competition when you're forced to use the crappy loser of that competition due to badly designed UX for anti-competitive reasons.

esaruoho

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I just tried the Hopstop website, it is shockingly bad, at least where I live.
It is as useful as a hole in the head.

No Finland. Germany is "Berlin" and "Ulm". Sure, they have Stockholm/Sweden but who cares. I don't know what's going on.

I know Finland is basically behind the iron curtain and who cares, but..

P.S. love the 3rd party integration in Apple Maps on iOS7 (iOS6 too?). I was absolutely shocked to realise that Reittiopas (the Finnish bus/metro/train/tram/etc routing system) could be used from Maps.. I just manoeuvre somewhere, click on 3rd party transits and it loads that exact place up and I don't have to clunkily add it to the app - it just works. Love it! :)

esaruoho

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Yelp is another problem, probably really good in the US, in the UK you might as well read the tea leaves in your cup. And the Cinema De Lux Bristol is apparently in Birmingham for some reason.

The crazy thing about Yelp is that if they have incorrect information, registering and logging in and editing the information will actually help others. Reporting the issues here on macrumors does nothing.

Case in effect, there was something really awkwardly wrong with Maps information in Helsinki, I looked at the info on Yelp, same info, fixed it on Yelp, after a day or two or week or whatever, the info was correct on Apple Maps.

One thing is for sure - all of these Yelp / Foursquare / etc type sites / services should have an incentive for people to sit around and input the most accurate information. I think that's the only way we will really proceed.

Most companies in Finland aren't really that interested in maintaining a Foursquare / Yelp presence -- but you might get a free coffee or some other related thing if you add them to 4SQ for instance - I've had that happen a few times.

esaruoho

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
As much as I like/love Apple products, this is very simple. I pointed through their report tool a couple or three glaring mistakes around me (wrong address for high school, middle school, library in Alviso). I did this within one or two weeks of their highly publicized map launch. Has this been corrected almost one year later? NO. Big fat NO!

Did you also fix them on Yelp? :)

----------

I feel that if they were to make a mapping solution available for Windows and Android, it would be iCloud.com based.

There's no way it won't be http://maps.apple.com

Perchance nicer error reporting through iCloud. I think Maps & Messages will be the neatest things coming to iCloud. I'm guessing iBooks might arrive eventually.

Makes me wonder how many icons the iCloud will have eventually.. 50? Hundreds?

esaruoho

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
By buying a bunch of small companies and trying to piece their software together into some sort of cohesive experience, to make up for major shortcomings of their 1st party software?

:apple:

hmm, i don't get it. before they unveiled Maps, they had already acquired PlaceBase, Poly9 and C3 Technologies.

Now they've acquired WifiSlam, Locationary and HopStop.

And that Locationary guy had some ideas immediately after the Apple Maps issues started on how to improve Apple Maps. Sounds to me like they've hired people who can help, and who will help, improve Apple Maps, and that that's a good thing.

Seems so :confused: that to some it's a sign of "yeah everyone nothing boo go home!!!"....

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Exactly what google did
Until a few years ago they were buying dozens of small companies every year

Google just bought Waze last month. I guess Google also just piecemeals third party apps to make up for the poor effort on their first party solution like the guy you quoted said about Apple.

Ignorance is truly bliss.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
...Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time...

That's any technology company:p

I'm glad they're trying to add some public transit solutions. That was the biggest hole in Apple maps at launch, imo. It's significantly less convenient having to launch out of the app to get mapping info that used to be baked in. Hopefully they'll keep chasing Google; that new Google Maps update is pretty nice.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
hmm, i don't get it. before they unveiled Maps, they had already acquired PlaceBase, Poly9 and C3 Technologies.

Now they've acquired WifiSlam, Locationary and HopStop.

And that Locationary guy had some ideas immediately after the Apple Maps issues started on how to improve Apple Maps. Sounds to me like they've hired people who can help, and who will help, improve Apple Maps, and that that's a good thing.

Seems so :confused: that to some it's a sign of "yeah everyone nothing boo go home!!!"....

The ideal time to do things right... is the first time.

Or you can scramble a year later.

:apple:

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
The 200th largest city in the USA is Waco, Texas, at 127,000. The 300th largest city in the EU is Telford, UK at 138,000. There are 30 cities in Canada over 130K, 15 in Australia, 4 in NZ, 4-6 in Switzerland. That means 600 covers every city over 130K in the above areas and still leaves 40 for cities in non-EU Europe. 600 sounds like a lot, because it IS a lot.

It still is not a lot, it is for a company like Apple pretty poor. I am an Apple fan, but Apple Maps is (at the moment) crap.

----------

Well... I got several holes in my head... and I find them to be very useful. :D
On a day when you hear Madonna, eat Mc Donald's , smell some celebrities' new perfume, you sometimes wish there were no holes in your head....

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The app has been pulled from the Android market. The App is also non-functioning now on Android.

Glad Apple has made a smart acquisition - but not happy that I lost access to a great app on my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.