Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
The current EULA seems to be not that specific anymore, but I do not speak legalese that well.
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/OSX1010.pdf

It’s still pretty clear - You need to have Apple Branded hardware to install OS X - That requirement has been there at least in the past 4 versions of OS X and I think the phrasing hasn’t changed in each version (as far as the basic requirements has)

OneAnswer

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
It’s still pretty clear - You need to have Apple Branded hardware to install OS X - That requirement has been there at least in the past 4 versions of OS X and I think the phrasing hasn’t changed in each version (as far as the basic requirements has)

Then I haven't found that specific passage yet, but I only looked for "hardware" and all the mentions pertained to preinstalled software on Apple hardware.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Apple branding, licensing of OS X

… I only looked for "hardware" …

Keyword: brand …

(OSx86 aside for a moment: not long ago I tried to discuss branding and licensing. There was an overt "I can't be bothered" element to someone's response … that, combined with a derailing effect in multiple topics, caused me to cease discussion.)

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Those of you who are interested in a forum for this, why don't you make a list of 2014 threads that would belong in that forum? That way, we see exactly how much interest there was in the past year, and whether or not a forum really is justified.

Remember what maflynn posted a bit earlier in this thread, that "...most of the threads with Hackintosh in the title seem be centering around buying decisions, i.e., should I get a Mac Mini or a Hackintosh. Threads dealing with the technical aspect of building, configuring, troubleshooting a hackintosh are much much lower." That sort of thread isn't justification for a new forum.

maflynn searched for threads with hackintosh in the title, but if it turns out there are many more with hackintosh-technical questions in posts that don't have hackintosh in the title, there might be justification.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Those of you who are interested in a forum for this, why don't you make a list of 2014 threads that would belong in that forum? That way, we see exactly how much interest there was in the past year, and whether or not a forum really is justified.

Here goes.

As maflynn said here have been 30 threads created in the past year with word 'Hackintosh' in the title.

Sorted in to their respective forums:

[7] Mac Pro
[6] Buying Tips & Advice
[3] Mac mini
[2] MacBook Pro
[2] iMac
[2] Mac Basics and Help
[2] Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac
[1] PowerPC
[1] OS X
[1] OS X 10.10 Yosemite
[1] OS X 10.9 Mavericks
[1] Marketplace
[1] Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

As you can see, the threads that have been created are extremely fragmented, and are scattered all over the place, because no-one knows where the hell to put them!

After skimming through each of the threads, not even half of them are directly related to Hackintoshing (with discussions on help/advice on building/components etc.). The majority of them (14) are simply 'Mac vs Hackintosh' threads, where the OP's are asking whether a Hackintosh would be better suited to their needs over their current Mac mini, iMac etc.

By having a Hackintosh forum on the site people asking these questions can be to pointed to the Hack sub-forum (with an FAQ sticky) instead of having dozens of redundant threads cropping up time and time again.

And to add to that, I found 13 of the 30 threads contained proper information & discussion on Hackintoshing, with reoccurring input from a select number of users, showing to me at least that there are people out there. But even in these threads some other users came in and killed the thread by linking the OP to tonymacx86 and others, which in honesty is understandable given the fact there's no Hackintosh forum here as of yet, but also I think it has a lot to do with the way the Hackintoshing culture was/is frowned upon on this site.

I think it's more a case of 'build it and they will come'. I believe the reason why there isn't much discussion on Hackintoshes here is because people simply don't have anywhere to discuss them. Even if it's a pretty niche forum to start with, I can only see it gaining traction going forward given the kind of traffic this site brings in.

PS: Nearly 800 people have searched 'Hackintosh' in the advanced search as well, which goes to show that people are trying to seek out Hackintosh threads even when there isn't a sub-forum here. And when searching for posts instead of threads on Hackintoshes there have been just under 1,000 posts in the past year alone.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
By having a Hackintosh forum on the site people asking these questions can be to pointed to the Hack sub-forum (with an FAQ sticky) instead of having dozens of redundant threads cropping up time and time again..
But by the same token, the comparison threads would normally stay in their current forum. That is if someone was wondering about getting a Mac Pro or a hackintosh. That would remain in the Mac Pro forum. If that was the case, then only a handful of technical support threads would be living in that forum.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
But by the same token, the comparison threads would normally stay in their current forum. That is if someone was wondering about getting a Mac Pro or a hackintosh. That would remain in the Mac Pro forum.

People often branch out off of that question and weigh-up whether the extra hassle of getting a Hack up and running is worth the other benefits - that's where the Hack forum would step-in in that situation, with technical support and advice. I think that's where it differs from any other Mac vs. Mac thread that you'd find in the Buying Advice forum. People base their decisions on how much work and how technical Hackintoshing is. Without the knowledge it scares people off.

If that was the case, then only a handful of technical support threads would be living in that forum.

At this point in time yes, only a handful (minimum of 13, excluding the comparison threads) threads would reside in the Hack forum - but you can't place an item in a box if don't have a box to place that item in to, am I right?

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
OSX= Apple Macintosh Computer.
Capish ?
Installing osX on other than Apple's hardware isn't stealing. This was pretty clear when you could buy the os alone. Then in many countries EULA didn't matter, because you couldn't read it before purchase.

Now, when os is "kind of free", I'm not so sure. Ie. in EU if you download the os for free, are you then oblicated to follow EULA more than before?

Volkstaia

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2012
East Coast of the US
I know it's probably been asked a lot before, but now I feel like there are more reasons then ever to go with a Hackintosh, since Apple is switching to AMD GPUs which aren't as good for gaming under Windows (for our dual booting users), and Adobe applications. Also Apple has been cutting out more and more upgradability recently so it would make sense for a person desiring that to go with a Hackintosh.

Another thing is that both TonyMacx86 AND InsanelyMac seem to have their own fair share of stupid rules -- just based on groundless philosophical stuff. Let's just have a forum where we can talk about Hackintoshes, ask whatever questions we want to, and not have to worry about threads being removed for anything other than someone admitting to piracy.

So any chance of this?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I know it's probably been asked a lot before, but now I feel like there are more reasons then ever to go with a Hackintosh, since Apple is switching to AMD GPUs which aren't as good for gaming under Windows (for our dual booting users), and Adobe applications. Also Apple has been cutting out more and more upgradability recently so it would make sense for a person desiring that to go with a Hackintosh.

Another thing is that both TonyMacx86 AND InsanelyMac seem to have their own fair share of stupid rules -- just based on groundless philosophical stuff. Let's just have a forum where we can talk about Hackintoshes, ask whatever questions we want to, and not have to worry about threads being removed for anything other than someone admitting to piracy.

So any chance of this?
I agree. I go on tonymac a decent amount and I've always found the crowd at MacRumors to be much more helpful.

Reactions: toke lahti

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Years ago I tried to get some database development threads going here. I got no response. But in the meantime I found another forum that specialized in databases. The professionals where already there. Now I spend about as much time there as I do here.

While I can appreciate the enthusiasm for MacRumors and the desire for this forum to be a "one stop shop" for all things Apple, there are already strong communities on the web dealing with these subjects. By promoting "hackintosh" here, you will either end up with discussion that lacks expertise as the "experts" already have a home elsewhere or you will serve to further dilute discussion by spreading thin those interested in this topic.

I've had the same thing with OS X questions, but are more common to headless command linux systems.

So I just go to a linux forum instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.