Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one looks better, the old site, or the new site mockup?

• The old site.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • The new site.

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Hey all,

Some of you may remember me; some time back (roughly a year and a half ago), I used this exact forum as a testing platform for my blog, GearHungry (FYI I greatly appreciate all feedback received back in the day!). The site's been growing steadily and now has a reasonable following. Now, I figure it's time for a redesign, so I'm back for a bit of helpful advice!

Attached are screenshots, one of the current site (top) and of the redesign (bottom).

It's obviously a mockup, so not all details are sorted out, but I'd love to know which site seems more appealing and attractive to you, and (if you've got time), why :D

Thanks a ton for your help! Sorry, the images are rather large, you may need to zoom out a little (snapped on a retina MBP).

Here they are side by side: LINK

Last edited:

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
In all honesty, I like everything about the old site better, with the exception of the larger text on the nav bar. I guess that I like the location of the search bar better in the new one as well.

I don't think that either one is bad; they both look pretty professional, but the information density on both is just a bit high for my liking. Engadget (screenshot attached) for example, may not have that much less info than your site, but somehow they manage to make it feel like it's not all crammed in there. Perhaps in the effective use of images and containing elements rather than a bunch of text and article snippets.

Just my two cents, but there you go.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-22 at 10.59.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-22 at 10.59.17 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 128

wedgeantilles

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2013
Couple of things:

- You need some room to breathe in and around some of the elements, i.e. the social/search functions in the top right hand corner are cluttered, and the text under your main blog article image has no padding at all

- Your main image is far too big. Your current site already has the main image almost at the fold at the bottom of the page, which means that users have to scroll to see anything. Try reining this back in and bringing some CTAs up above that fold.

- How will this work on mobile or tablet devices? Have you considered a responsive design and how you can stack or change elements as needed?

- Why is Home in the middle of the nav? Conventions can be boring, but at the end of the day that's just plain silly.

- Consider some rollover elements for the top images, to indicate they are links rather than furniture.

- Have a signup to Newsletter function in the header to start building an email list and encouraging users to signup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.