Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Hello guys,

I have a D90 camera and I'm happy with it except the video capability. I've looked at D7000 & the upgraded D7100 but they don't seem to have very good video capability. I have seen D800 in action and the video in low light condition is amazing. It's just so clear and crisp that it looks like its from a proper professional camera.
Now, D800 is very expensive but is there anything that has good a very good quality video as pics? Are there any rumours for update soon? I'm in no rush and can wait another year but I just wonder what is out there or could be possibly coming.

What are your thoughts, please? Thank you very much for any feedback :)

hltjr

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009
close to la, ca.
Hello guys,

I have a D90 camera and I'm happy with it except the video capability. I've looked at D7000 & the upgraded D7100 but they don't seem to have very good video capability. I have seen D800 in action and the video in low light condition is amazing. It's just so clear and crisp that it looks like its from a proper professional camera.
Now, D800 is very expensive but is there anything that has good a very good quality video as pics? Are there any rumours for update soon? I'm in no rush and can wait another year but I just wonder what is out there or could be possibly coming.

What are your thoughts, please? Thank you very much for any feedback :)

If possible, you should rent a D7000 to see what type of results you can get out of it. This is assuming that you prefer to stay with Nikon due to an assortment of lenses you may have. My first DSLR was older than your D90 when I upgraded. I have a D70s and eventually got a D800. I did rent a D7000 and loved it. From what I've read, the D7100 is a bit better, but you should always try it yourself as opposed to reading a review. As happy and pleased as I am with the D800, had my timing been different, I would have been happy with that D7000. Good luck.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The D300 is due for an update. That should happen in under a year.

I second the idea of renting a D7000 or D7100 and seeing what the video is actually like.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
what types of video will you be shooting?

I have a D7000 (upgraded from the D70) and I have used the video but not for many things. The clarity was good and it was in the woods on a hike. I think I may have used it a handful of other times but not too sure.

Honestly, I think of the DSLR as a camera and use my iPhone for video more times than not. I think I have read that Canons were better with video but from what I shot the Video was fine on the D7000.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
The D300 is due for an update. That should happen in under a year.

I second the idea of renting a D7000 or D7100 and seeing what the video is actually like.

It is far from clear whether the D300 will receive any kind of update atm. There has been no word on such an update from Nikon, rumour sites have no news of such an update, and Nikon muddied the waters when the D7100 was released by including a statement in some marketing material stating it was the new top of the line DX model.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I have a D7000, and love it. I do not use video very much, but the quality is very good. My only complaint about the video mode is that the focus tends to be slow.

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Canon

If you don't mind switching, Canon is perhaps better at video implementation than Nikon. I think you can use Nikon lenses on Canon via adapter too.

"Nikon user who's not bothered about video"

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Thank you guys so far for the feedback.
I'm looking for something nice and clear.
My friend today showed me his reel (https://vimeo.com/69567731) and that is pretty much the kind of quality I am aiming for with the video. When I asked him what he uses he said Nikon D800 but although I would love to get that camera at this point its out of my price range but as I'm in no rush I can wait. Maybe it will change.
In fact, I do not need such a high quality overall camera. If there is a camera that does the same quality video like the D800 and is cheaper then I guess that would be perfect.
And as someone mentioned, the iPhone 5 has good very decent video considering that it is a phone. :)

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
If you don't shoot a lot of video, I wouldn't upgrade. Remember video is only one feature. I've gotten decent videos with my D90. It takes some work and a steady hand. Mostly with my 50mm and 24-70mm lens I've gotten some good video. That's only when the light it good. Some people use a monopod to help.

I shot this handheld. It was the second set of the night so I was a little tired. Youtube compression is brutal. The footage looks a lot better on my Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ztNv6y_78

If you really need to upgrade then go with the D7100 or D600. Honestly I think with any thing you probably need to get better glass. When I shoot video with the 24-70mm it looks a lot better. Maybe you should rent one before deciding. https://www.lensrentals.com/

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Good video is very hard to shoot. You really do need a tripod of a "stedy cam" and you would never leave the auto focus on what doing video.

Still shooter only have to get the light, depth of field, and composition and the model posed once but in video you have to get this all to work for an entire shot while "everything" is moving. It's harder. But if you get this right, no one will care if you used a D90. Also if this is all wrong you may as well be using an iPhone because spending money on gear will not fix it.

It is a trap many people fall into, they see some first rate work and then ask what camera was used, as it buying that camera would let you be as talented.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Good video is very hard to shoot.

It is a trap many people fall into, they see some first rate work and then ask what camera was used, as it buying that camera would let you be as talented.

Great mindset here.

The camera is not the photographer (or videographer).
I have taken many shots and people ask what camera I am using and I tell them my iPhone.
I also have a “very nice” D7000 and though it takes great shots, it is the person behind the camera.

I am guessing your friend didn’t just get the D800 and start taking wonderful video and then edit that wonderful video (probably using the best parts of the whole shots) and making this short clip.
Your friend uses the audio as well as cuts to make the video a more emotional pull. (not saying the videos themselves aren’t great, just the addition of those add to the overall feeling you get)

I’ve heard using primes can be good as the glass is normally “better” and that you don’t zoom all over and move about but stay put (this isn’t a roller coaster).

Leeuwtje

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2013
I have a D7000. It's a great camera for photos, I've not used it much for video, but the slow autofocus (for video) and the fact that you have to look at the liveview screen (not very clear in sunlight) doesn't make it a very flexible camera for video. Unless you shoot under very stable conditions at a fixed distance (e.g., an interview setting). I would get a dedicated video camera.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
If you don't shoot a lot of video, I wouldn't upgrade. Remember video is only one feature. I've gotten decent videos with my D90. It takes some work and a steady hand. Mostly with my 50mm and 24-70mm lens I've gotten some good video. That's only when the light it good. Some people use a monopod to help.

I shot this handheld. It was the second set of the night so I was a little tired. Youtube compression is brutal. The footage looks a lot better on my Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ztNv6y_78

If you really need to upgrade then go with the D7100 or D600. Honestly I think with any thing you probably need to get better glass. When I shoot video with the 24-70mm it looks a lot better. Maybe you should rent one before deciding. https://www.lensrentals.com/

Thank you,

to me that video isn't the quality I was looking for and that is why I am looking for a better alternative or possible alternative. I even checked the review here with the videos and noticed all the "blockiness" that is shown in the videos. Not sure if its the lens but it doesn't look so good (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d7100)

I have 50mm 1.4 lens but that doesn't help much so maybe I must be doing a lot of things wrong.

However, the video from iPhone 5 looks great compared to some of the cameras so I wonder how come its quite difficult to get a great video on Nikon (I keep hearing that Canon is awesome for video but haven't tried it - only seen great results)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.