Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Every time I export a song out of GarageBand, the volume for the MP3 track is too low. I have to blast my volume in order to hear it. In the old GarageBand, the volume would usually be too loud on the MP3 track, but now it is the opposite.

I have tried adjusting the Master Volume and the Track Volume in GB and have still had no luck. The volume problem happens when I export a track containing only Apple Loops. If the track contains music played by my keyboard, then the volume is fine.

jcmadison1

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
Same Problem Here

I've been concerned that I bought a faulty condenser mic (audio-technica 2020) and perhaps I'm just getting bad input. But like you, I get great quality pre-export, then when i export, the volume drops dramatically. Sorry I'm not adding anything helpful, I just wanted to be in the loop so If anyone did offer a solution, I'd get a notification :D

Love :apple: not diggin' garageband at the moment

JC

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
JediMeister is right...

But if I remember correctly the option is not there on versions before Garageband 4.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 2,993

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Just went into Preferences and changed that stuff. Then I exported a song, but still had low volume.

My old songs (like a year ago) were always booming with sound after export. What gives?

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Just went into Preferences and changed that stuff. Then I exported a song, but still had low volume.

My old songs (like a year ago) were always booming with sound after export. What gives?

What version of Garageband are you using? I only have this issue for Garageband '09, and i fixed it.

XPert

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2009
JediMeister is right...

But if I remember correctly the option is not there on versions before Garageband 4.
This is the solution, just opt out "Export project at full loudness...". Paradox, but if you tick it, it will export in half-loudness.

Reactions: Nebulance

Props97

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
Hey I know I'm 2 years late, but I'm having this problem too. Just to clarify, to get full volume you leave the "export at full volume" box UNticked?

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
This is the solution, just opt out "Export project at full loudness...". Paradox, but if you tick it, it will export in half-loudness.

That is INSANE, but you are right!!! It works quite the opposite way than it should!! I had this annoying problem even in GarageBand '11, but you Sir saved my life!

You have to UNTICK the box!

Thank you guys!

scientiste

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2013
Mac Vol too low, turning off normalization doesn't work

I've been having the typical low volume issue, except, unticking normalization does nothing to remedy the issue.

I have tried everything from:
-turning software instruments to "real instruments" under preferences
-maxing out the master track vol, while unchecking normalization
-lowering the master track vol whie checking normalization

I am using some bass software instruments and unless I select the lowest quality option, "good", during export I get awful clipping.

Any help would be much appreciated. Trying to amplify the quiet track in audacity results in a horrible clipping mess.

any help would be VERY appreciated!!!

Smcner12

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2016
I'm having the exact same problem - none of the above solutions work, including the full volume solution.
Oddly, a track will sometime export with normal volume output, sometimes it does not.
I know that it's an overall setting for the project as the drum loop that I'm using for that song exports at a significantly lower volume than any of the songs' drums that I've exported in the past.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
What about Audio-MIDI app? Launch it and make sure (or better, reset) its input settings two 2-channel 24-bit 44,1 kHz audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.