Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

paypalherelogo.png
PayPal yesterday announced an iPad version of its iPhone point-of-sale solution app "PayPal Here", boasting larger screen real estate and additional features like connecting to a cash register.

TechCrunch notes that the app marks yet another milestone in the expansion of the company's PayPal Here service, which debuted in the UK just two weeks ago and is now available in five countries. PayPal took to its blog to detail the new app:
In listening to our customers we learned that while all love the convenience, security and functionality of PayPal Here, some prefer the larger screen of the iPad.

So with that in mind we went about designing a new version of the PayPal Here app that would work seamlessly and beautifully with the iPad. Some of the new features include:

- App designed specifically for the iPad
- Ability to scan an item's barcode for faster checkout
- Wirelessly connect to a cash drawer and printer
- Track sales activity in "Daily Summary" reporting
paypal_here_ipad.jpg
The app also utilizes eBay's Red Laser technology so that merchants can scan items they sell into their "item lists" and allows for a "fast checkout experience" for customers.

PayPal also points out that the app is designed for small businesses that want an easily scalable mobile payment solution. Users can also get a free card reader that pairs with the app and iPad so that it can read credit cards.

PayPal Here for iPad is a free app available in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: PayPal Debuts 'PayPal Here for iPad' for Small Businesses

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
That UI does look quite nice compared to their mobile app in Safari/Chrome. If only I had an iPad....
But summer tomato pasta salad is nearly $13?! Even those pancakes are a rip. :confused:

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
So we have Square, Paypal, and Inuit no with mobile payment solutions for small businesses. I have got to say compared to legacy POS systems, these iPad or iPhone based credit card processors are so much better. If only I could have used an iPod Touch as a server with one of these card readers, split checks easily, and have customers sign with their finger...I would have turned far more tables.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Neither company offers a donate button within that specific swipe process, check area so neither are useful for certain needs of mine. I still just send an email since most have phones that can get mail so it's fine for now but it would be nice to have that added.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
ANGRY - PayPal killed my EARDRUMS! LAWSUIT!

So I read about this new PayPal app for iPad late last night while in bed with my earbuds in. I download the app, open it, hear this feminine voice state, "Please remove your headphones immediately." It was like 1am, I was about to fall asleep. Before I could comprehend what the voice said, like literally no more than 1 SECOND later this new PayPal app kicks THE LOUDEST POSSIBLE HIGH PITCH TONE INTO MY EARDRUMS! :mad::mad::mad: SO LOUD IT WAKES MY WIFE AND OUR NEWBORN SLEEPING NEXT TO ME! I rip the earbuds from my ears as fast as I can but not fast enough. My spirit troubled. My sleep destroyed. My ears damaged. My heart racing. Please no nightmares!

What the HELL ARE YOU THINKING, PAYPAL? UNBELIEVABLE! You guys deserve a huge kick in the ass for this one! Come on! You will be SUED BIG TIME FOR THIS!!! There's NO excuse for this ****!

Anyone else experience this?

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So I read about this new PayPal app for iPad late last night while in bed with my earbuds in. I download the app, open it, hear this feminine voice state, "Please remove your headphones immediately." It was like 1am, I was about to fall asleep. Before I could comprehend what the voice said, like literally no more than 1 SECOND later this new PayPal app kicks THE LOUDEST POSSIBLE HIGH PITCH TONE INTO MY EARDRUMS! :mad::mad::mad: SO LOUD IT WAKES MY WIFE AND OUR NEWBORN SLEEPING NEXT TO ME! I rip the earbuds from my ears as fast as I can but not fast enough. ...

Yikes! That could do damage! To humans and to earbuds/speakers.

I didn't know these swipers received a signal from the device--I'd have thought they only transmitted. (Is that sound signal providing a bit of power or something??)

A second or two is not enough warning! There should be a longer delay, and the first time, there should be a button to proceed.

That UI does look quite nice compared to their mobile app in Safari/Chrome. If only I had an iPad....
But summer tomato pasta salad is nearly $13?! Even those pancakes are a rip. :confused:

Just the usual Apple Tax.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
So I read about this new PayPal app for iPad late last night while in bed with my earbuds in. I download the app, open it, hear this feminine voice state, "Please remove your headphones immediately." It was like 1am, I was about to fall asleep. Before I could comprehend what the voice said, like literally no more than 1 SECOND later this new PayPal app kicks THE LOUDEST POSSIBLE HIGH PITCH TONE INTO MY EARDRUMS! :mad::mad::mad: SO LOUD IT WAKES MY WIFE AND OUR NEWBORN SLEEPING NEXT TO ME! I rip the earbuds from my ears as fast as I can but not fast enough. My spirit troubled. My sleep destroyed. My ears damaged. My heart racing. Please no nightmares!

What the HELL ARE YOU THINKING, PAYPAL? UNBELIEVABLE! You guys deserve a huge kick in the ass for this one! Come on! You will be SUED BIG TIME FOR THIS!!! There's NO excuse for this ****!

Anyone else experience this?

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

You could sue them for ear damage. lol

fujitsu

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
I'd appreciate it if PayPal came out with a PayPal app for iPad, so I could manage my PayPal account easily from the iPad.

Yeah, I hope they find time to make an iPad app. I believe it's currently low-res when you use the Paypal app on your tablet.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
You could sue them for ear damage. lol

Its not really a laughing matter. Tones such as these, especially when concentrated directly into the ear canal can cause irreversible hearing damage in an instant. I sympathize with MacVault on this. As a musician who frequently uses custom molded in-ear monitors I am always leary of inexperienced audio engineers for the simple fact that a wrong twist of a knob or punch of a wrong button could zap my hearing.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
what gets me is the paypal app does not keep track of email or phone numbers. so you have to manually enter it every time. But I like it better because money is in your account right away. where square depends on what time of day you swipe

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Its not really a laughing matter. Tones such as these, especially when concentrated directly into the ear canal can cause irreversible hearing damage in an instant. I sympathize with MacVault on this. As a musician who frequently uses custom molded in-ear monitors I am always leary of inexperienced audio engineers for the simple fact that a wrong twist of a knob or punch of a wrong button could zap my hearing.

Sorry. Not funny. But seriously, you could sue them.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
what gets me is the paypal app does not keep track of email or phone numbers. so you have to manually enter it every time. But I like it better because money is in your account right away. where square depends on what time of day you swipe

I don't think as a FREE product, Paypal is pushing this as a complete, feature-rich POS system for a small business.

What irks me most is, every time I try to use it, I cannot get it to complete the transaction. Swipe, sign, ERROR. Over and over, making the customer have to sign 2 or 3 times. I've got good WIFI or LTE, but it fails to approve. This happens MOST of the time. Others have complained about the same thing. It's embarassing. When I called Paypal, they said disable BT. I tried that and it worked (one time), but not again. They even sent me a new swiper. Still no good.

Just not dependable for me.

A plus, for me, though is when it does work, I can accept large payments (over $1000) and get the money instantly. From what I remember back when I used my Square service, they have a withdrawl limit per month which means for large purchases, it takes a while to get my money. Paypal Here is a superior service, but just not dependable.

Misskristen317

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Ridiculously Loud

What's the reason for the unnecessary, loud warning to remove headphones?!

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

PayPal yesterday announced an iPad version of its iPhone point-of-sale solution app "PayPal Here", boasting larger screen real estate and additional features like connecting to a cash register.

TechCrunch notes that the app marks yet another milestone in the expansion of the company's PayPal Here service, which debuted in the UK just two weeks ago and is now available in five countries. PayPal took to its blog to detail the new app:The app also utilizes*eBay's Red Laser technology so that merchants can scan items they sell into their "item lists" and allows for a "fast checkout experience" for customers.

PayPal also points out*that the app is designed for small businesses that want an easily scalable mobile payment solution. Users can also get a free card reader that pairs with the app and iPad so that it can read credit cards.

PayPal Here for iPad is a free app available in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: PayPal Debuts 'PayPal Here for iPad' for Small Businesses

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.