Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Hi there,

I have a MacBook Pro from around late 2010 and a Time Capsule from the same period, capable of dual broadcasting 2.4GHz & 5Ghz networks.

The problem is that I have just noticed my MacBook Pro always chooses to connect to the 2.4GHz rather than the 5GHz network of my Time Capsule?

I thought that the 'faster' 5ghz network would be chosen when in close proximity to the TC and the 'stronger' 2.4ghz network when behind a few walls in another room - thus the MacBook Pro would always choose the best connection.

I can force the MacBook Pro to use the 5Ghz network by specifically selecting it but the whole great thing about the dual broadcasting should be the Macbook will choose the best network relative to its current positioning (2.4 or 5ghz) by itself.

Does anyone know why the Macbook doesn't join the 5GHz network when it has the choice, even when positioned right next to the TC?

I get a Transmit Rate of 130 if I let the MacBook choose the 2.4ghz network (as it always does :confused:) or Transmit Rate of 300 if I force it to use the 5ghz network!

I would prefer that the Macbook 'intelligently' choose & switch to use the best network rather than me force it to always use the 5GHz.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Where is the TC I relation to the MacBook? I know when my TC was in the far room of the house my Air would always choose the 2.4ghz, but ever since I moved the TC into the living room my Air is now always connecting to the 5ghz. So depending on how far away the two are apart will determine which one it will connect to, since the 5ghz has trouble going through walls.

truler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
That's the strange thing - the MacBook still chooses to connect to the 2.4ghz network even when sat really close to the TC?

Update - if I turn off airport, sit the MacBook 30cm from the TC then turn Airport back on, it chooses the 5ghz network. When I then move away it stays on the 5ghz network.

Can it really be that if I am sat with the MacBook in the sofa, with the TC approx. 1 meter back, behind the sofa that it should choose to connect to the 2.4ghz rather than 5ghz network?

Last edited:

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Does your 5 GHz network have a different name than the 2.4 GHz one? Try reordering the preferred networks as directed by step 3 here.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Go into network on your mac, hit wifi advanced, then drag the networks into the order you wish them to connect. IE the 5 GHZ option first, the 2.4 second.

On IOS devices, just tell your iPad or iPhone to forget the 2.5GHZ offering as long as your device supports 5GHZ.

truler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks for the 2 replies suggesting re-ordering the preferred networks in my list. I did know about this option but didn't want to force the MacBook into always choosing the 5ghz.

I really wanted the dual broadcasting to work as it should, with the Macbook choosing the best network relative to its current positioning (2.4 or 5ghz) by itself. This would mean that I didn't have to manually switch / guess which network I thought would give best results depending on my proximity to the time capsule.

The problem is that the MacBook always chooses the 2.4ghz network even though its sat right next to the TC, when I know it should be using the 5ghz for best results!!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Thanks for the 2 replies suggesting re-ordering the preferred networks in my list. I did know about this option but didn't want to force the MacBook into always choosing the 5ghz.

I really wanted the dual broadcasting to work as it should, with the Macbook choosing the best network relative to its current positioning (2.4 or 5ghz) by itself. This would mean that I didn't have to manually switch / guess which network I thought would give best results depending on my proximity to the time capsule.

The problem is that the MacBook always chooses the 2.4ghz network even though its sat right next to the TC, when I know it should be using the 5ghz for best results!!

It's another feature that doesn't always work....I actually have my iMac hard wired to my TC with wifi off. Both my MBA and MBP are set to order the 5GHZ network first. It's the only reliable way I've found to guarantee they use it every time.

Last edited:

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado

It may be that the feature IS working. 5ghz can be more sensitive to environmental interferences. Have you scanned for other 5ghz broadcasts? Do you have neighbors using 5ghz networks? Remote phone systems, etc.?

My computers and laptops generally select the 5ghz band from most places in the house but, according to my wifi scanning, there are no 5ghz networks detected in my house other than mine.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
Is this something where the two networks should have the same SSID or are they supposed to have different SSIDs? i.e. homeinternet2ghz for the 2.4ghz network and then homeinternet5ghz for the 5ghz band?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.