Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nharrietha

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
Canada
QUESTION: Do you folks know of any website that sells downloads of NEW lossless files? Gosh, even if the record labels were to launch this, I would pay.
As of now, as Tkermit mentioned, HDTracks is the highest quality download available. Just do a Google search for it. However, I've mentioned the "Pono" a few times in this thread; if you're interested in the best sound possible I'd recommend reading up on it (it's not out yet though.) Hope this helps. :)

----------

So I understand the desire for better sound. But as long as CDs are seen as some sort of quality in 2012, iTunes files are more than good enough for me. I haven't been able to find any environment in which I can tell a noticeable difference between iTunes and CDs. Ad I just replaced my car speakers with some Kenwood models that retail for $150 a pair.
You're going to have to spend a hell of a lot more than $150 to notice a difference. Plus, you're using speakers. There's nothing wrong with that, but headphones (IEMs or on/over ears) are known for producing the best sound. You'll need a reference set, which will run you around $200+, $200 is pretty low end for a reference set, and a half decent amp.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Could someone please explain why self-professed audiophiles get icon here raving about CD-quality music? If the industry itself gave a damn about quality, there would be no such thing as a CD-only player any more.

The industry should've moved to using DVDs and putting higher quality recordings on them. I bought a couple of DTS audio discs, which I'm assuming we're on DVDs, in the 1990s. THAT is what audiophiles should be begging for. I have never heard anything better that wasn't live.

I totally get the debate because of my wishy-washy opinions on buying movies and TV shows from iTunes. The picture is pretty darn close, but give me a freaking break on Dolby Digital. If you spend $150 on an AV receiver you will get one with DTS. The codecs available with BD are even better.

After watching "The Fellowship of the Ring" over the weekend on BD, I was reminded of how awesome movie sound can be. Why that isn't even close to standard on audio products baffles me.

So I understand the desire for better sound. But as long as CDs are seen as some sort of quality in 2012, iTunes files are more than good enough for me. I haven't been able to find any environment in which I can tell a noticeable difference between iTunes and CDs. Ad I just replaced my car speakers with some Kenwood models that retail for $150 a pair.

I hate stupid straw man arguments like this. It's so obvious, and patronizing, even desperate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.