Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1
RobertoooMac
macrumors newbie

Buying an iPad Mini

Hey guys, this is my first post. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out.

I've just ordered a 27" iMac, for use as my home/home studio computer and I plan on buying an 11 inch MacBook Air as my laptop to use at college. I don't really have all the money for it right now, so I'm thinking about buying an iPad mini to use for college light college work in the mean time (note taking, emails, that kind of thing).

What I want to ask is this: do you think I will lose a lot of money if I buy an iPad Mini brand new and come to sell it around June when the new updated MacBook Air comes out? I don't really want to lose a lot of money-it would defeat the object of buying something cheaper to allow myself some time to save up again.

Can anyone kind of put an estimate on how much money I'll probably lose to depreciation?

Thanks for your time, please drop me a response!

Rob
RobertoooMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:59 PM   #2
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Since money is tight, used iPad 2s are going for around $100 less than new ipad Minis.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:05 PM   #3
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoooMac View Post
Hey guys, this is my first post. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out.

I've just ordered a 27" iMac, for use as my home/home studio computer and I plan on buying an 11 inch MacBook Air as my laptop to use at college. I don't really have all the money for it right now, so I'm thinking about buying an iPad mini to use for college light college work in the mean time (note taking, emails, that kind of thing).

What I want to ask is this: do you think I will lose a lot of money if I buy an iPad Mini brand new and come to sell it around June when the new updated MacBook Air comes out? I don't really want to lose a lot of money-it would defeat the object of buying something cheaper to allow myself some time to save up again.

Can anyone kind of put an estimate on how much money I'll probably lose to depreciation?

Thanks for your time, please drop me a response!

Rob
At their price point and Apple's seeming depreciation in iOS devices (just check the 'recycling' companies prices for the i5 -_-) I would imagine you would lose about 1/3 of the new price. There is also the rumours about a retina one in March and you can wave goodbye to at least 50% by then if that happens

They are cheap enough to not worry about losing some money - there is also someone out there willing to buy second Apple stuff.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:12 PM   #4
RobertoooMac
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies:-)!

Oooh, march isn't far away. I don't think I'll be buying one of those then!

Prices on the iPad Mini will most likely drop when the retina display model comes out, like you say. I think I'll probably wait until then and make a decision.

Thanks a lot!

Rob
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:14 PM   #5
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

I know I mentioned it before, but honestly, fore the price of a new Air, you can buy a nice used Air and iPad. You'll have plenty of time to buy new stuff after college.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
RobertoooMac
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
I know I mentioned it before, but honestly, fore the price of a new Air, you can buy a nice used Air and iPad. You'll have plenty of time to buy new stuff after college.
Yeah, I guess so:-). I'd just rather buy the computers while I can afford them-if I go to University next year I won't have hardly any money!

Thanks,

Rob
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:27 PM   #7
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoooMac View Post
Yeah, I guess so:-). I'd just rather buy the computers while I can afford them-if I go to University next year I won't have hardly any money!

Thanks,

Rob
It doesn't sound like you can afford all of the ones you want now.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:48 PM   #8
smooth
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to smooth
Do you have a specific need for the iMac? Economically, it would seem to make the most sense to get a MacBook Air and an iPad.
iPod Shuffle
smooth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:24 PM   #9
Johnny Steps
macrumors 6502

Anything Apple is worth purchasing. Never buy used because the last time one of my friends did that, they ripped on him for being poor. Apple is a premium product, and deserves to be treated as such. Hail Apple.
Johnny Steps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:53 PM   #10
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Steps View Post
Anything Apple is worth purchasing. Never buy used because the last time one of my friends did that, they ripped on him for being poor. Apple is a premium product, and deserves to be treated as such. Hail Apple.
Refurb from apple is good
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:39 PM   #11
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Your friend needs different friends.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:19 AM   #12
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Quote:
How old are your friends? 12?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:50 AM   #13
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnyc View Post
How old are your friends? 12?
He's been hanging with BoltJames and his trophy wife.
PBG4 Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:01 PM   #14
RobertoooMac
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
Do you have a specific need for the iMac? Economically, it would seem to make the most sense to get a MacBook Air and an iPad.
Yeah, I'm using it for Music production-I need the larger screen, more RAM etc.

Rob :-)
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:20 PM   #15
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Coming from someone who has spent about 10k with Apple in the last year and buys premium brands in everything.......your friends sound like dicks. Ripping on someone for their financial status is pretty low. I'm looking for a used Gallardo.......I suppose that makes me poor for not looking for new

To the OP, I would just wait, even if you have the cash on hand is there a point? I know you say you are using it for music production, but you are also going to school. What about just getting like a 15" rMBP? Logic Pro works just fine on that or whatever music production software you want and then you could consolidate your costs into 1.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:40 PM   #16
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:48 PM   #17
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMKB24 View Post
.....I know you say you are using it for music production, but you are also going to school. What about just getting like a 15" rMBP? Logic Pro works just fine on that or whatever music production software you want and then you could consolidate your costs into 1.
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the OP said, he needed the MBA as his laptop at college, and the iPad Mini for note-taking, e-mails etc. Unless he needs that laptop for Logic Pro, he can get a 'brand-spankin' new Air+Mini for less than the cost of a 15" rMBP. Like some others have suggested, I also advise him, with either scenario, to sit tight for a few months, as all of APPLE's MBAs and MBPs are likely to be updated at that time, or if he's desperate, get a used iPad for the meantime. And who knows, both the Air and the Mini might even get Retina at that time as well.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:48 PM   #18
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Who are 'they'?
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:53 PM   #19
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the OP said, he needed the MBA as his laptop at college, and the iPad Mini for note-taking, e-mails etc. Unless he needs that laptop for Logic Pro, he can get a 'brand-spankin' new Air+Mini for less than the cost of a 15" rMBP. Like some others have suggested, I also advise him, with either scenario, to sit tight for a few months, as all of APPLE's MBAs and MBPs are likely to be updated at that time, or if he's desperate, get a used iPad for the meantime. And who knows, both the Air and the Mini might even get Retina at that time as well.
Haha I just reread it and how I took it as, was he wanted the MBA for his college classes and note taking, but would settle for a mini for the time being.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:56 PM   #20
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle View Post
Who are 'they'?
Obviously not very good friends, anyway Johnny Steps shouldn't care what they say.
macs4nw is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad