Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
J

Jacquesmc12

Original poster
Hi
i have ripped tons of movies and would like to know how to change the icon from a snapshot of the 1st still (ex. opening credits), to the movie poster.
so my movies look like itunes music with the album art as the icon
im using Handbrake 0.9.2
and Meta X 2.4.5

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Go to GetVideoArtwork.com, find the posters for your movies, then select a movie and right click it, and select 'Get Info'. Then click on the artwork tab, and drag the movie poster into the blank space.

J

Jacquesmc12

Original poster
I want to change the icon in Finder not in iTunes

soccerman7410

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Wow

i have the exact same question and it seems like none of these fools can wrap their brains around it. Why does the icon not change when i paste the movie poster in the info window. The poster is still there everytime i get info but it is just the first frame of the movie when viewed on the desktop. Anybody know?

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
i have the exact same question and it seems like none of these fools can wrap their brains around it. Why does the icon not change when i paste the movie poster in the info window. The poster is still there everytime i get info but it is just the first frame of the movie when viewed on the desktop. Anybody know?

If I had to wager a guess I would say that the finder is programmed to display file contents as icons like a photo, or the first page of a document or first clip of a movie. I'm betting its hard coded. Since audio files don't haven image information necessarily associated with them then it defaults to using a place holder or the album artwork metadata if it exists. (I had this problem in windows a while ago trying to get explorer to change its ways)

I'm also going to wager a guess here but I believe your options are modifying finder if possible which probably involves some terminal or configuration file modifying.

In short. You are trying to circumvent a "feature" by doing that. There probably isn't an easy answer.

This may help you get started http://interfacelift.com/icons-mac/software.php

mcmazur

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2009

To display the movie poster rather than the preview of the movie you have to change the viewing options by selecting the folder in which all your movies subside then pressing Command+J.

Unclick "Show Icon Preview" and instead of the movie preview, the movie poster will be displayed as the icon.

Hope that helped :)

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
I used cocothumbX to make pictures into icons, and then added those to my movies, but this is on Tiger's icon preview view.

I think cocothumbX makes small icons so if you view it in Leopard's coverflow (in finder) it might look blurred.

Problem with this method is the icons as I mentioned, and the fact that you'd have to "get info" and swap them one by one. I was working on getting an applescript to help but I have no clue what I'm doing. I can't seem to get it to even have access to an image file let alone copy it's icon automatically.

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
I use DVD case icons from a brilliant template posted over at MacThemes. I don't have a link to the template though, sorry.
This is what it looks like.
picture1kir.png

Halcylon

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009
I use DVD case icons from a brilliant template posted over at MacThemes. I don't have a link to the template though, sorry.
This is what it looks like.
picture1kir.png

That looks awesome and I want to do that, but like the problems above, the icon just shows up as a default image, not the dvd/tv show cover art that I have.

Any thoughts?

forcefieldkid

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2010
That looks awesome and I want to do that, but like the problems above, the icon just shows up as a default image, not the dvd/tv show cover art that I have.

Any thoughts?

You've probably done this, but just to check.

Open up the image you want in preview then press command-a then copy it with command-c. Exit preview, open up the 'get info' pane for the file you want to change, and paste it like you would before.

Halcylon

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009
You've probably done this, but just to check.

Open up the image you want in preview then press command-a then copy it with command-c. Exit preview, open up the 'get info' pane for the file you want to change, and paste it like you would before.

I have no idea why that worked this time... W.T.F...

Thank you!

aerlenbach

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Nothing like dusting off an old forum.
I copied an image of the movie I want, and clicked the "more info" button.
However, I cannot seen to figure out where I paste the picture.
I assumed it was in the preview category, but every time I try there, it just makes the "You effed up" noise.

The movie's preview is just a black box, with a play icon if you hover over it.
There's probably a really easy way to fix this, but I figure you folks know more than I.

(Just kidding, I figured it out. Ten points for me.)

Last edited:

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I don't know of an app yet, but if you made one that would work well, you could make a lot of money. Tons of people would love that.

fedetch

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Found Solution

In order to copy paste a folder icon you have to copy the actual image ~ not the entire file or it's (preview) icon.

1. open the image in Preview
2. chose Edit > select all (cmd + a)
3. chose Edit > copy (cmd + c)
4. now open up the "Get Info" tab on the Folder
5. select the Folder icon at the top left and and press cmd + v

credit to the man of he first comment here: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/change-folder-icon-images-mac-os-lion/

Tjswanson

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
This works for Mac only viewing of the icon

How can you make the Icon change for all operating systems? I use my PS3 as a media center and back up movies with my mac anyway to mac the icon universal like the ones bought in the iTunes store?

Tjswanson

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
How can you make the Icon change for all operating systems? I use my PS3 as a media center and back up movies with my mac anyway to mac the icon universal like the ones bought in the iTunes store?

:) works in iTunes and makes icons that move to every OS :p lol never mind ;)

Jonesy135

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2012
Bedfordshire, UK
In order to copy paste a folder icon you have to copy the actual image ~ not the entire file or it's (preview) icon.

1. open the image in Preview
2. chose Edit > select all (cmd + a)
3. chose Edit > copy (cmd + c)
4. now open up the "Get Info" tab on the Folder
5. select the Folder icon at the top left and and press cmd + v

credit to the man of he first comment here: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/change-folder-icon-images-mac-os-lion/

You're a GENIUS!!!

I was trying to paste this into the preview bit at the bottom.

didnt know you could change the icon top left... Thanks :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.