Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

passingapple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Hello folks,

I have resisted on buying an ipod all these years and never owned one, but finally decided to get one. I get bored in the gym these days between workouts, you know.

I am looking at these two from the apple store (those of you who have either or both of these devices could help me out on deciding):

a) refurbished ipod nano 7 gen 16GB ($99)
b) refurbished ipod touch 4 gen 16GB ($149)

I've never bought a refurbished one, but I hear good things about them and it's not like I'd be buying a $1000+ macbook laptop, so this will do. Now there are also other options like the refurbished ipod nano 6 gen 16GB ($119) or ipod touch 5 gen 32GB ($249), but I don't need the watch nor want to drop $250 on this. Ditto for the shuffle due to its lack of storage and inability to let me pick and choose songs.

I mainly want a dedicated device for music playback for going to the gym and/or occasional jogging. Maybe I could also use it during travels.

The ipod Touch 4 gen is only $50 more expensive and has a better battery life (10 hours longer) AND it would give me options like internet surfing and other apps (it's always nice to have options whether I need them or not) whereas the nano, there is nothing but music playback, so it obviously is a better value/bang for the buck. But my concern is that it might be comparably too bulky to carry it around the gym all the time or when going for a quick jog (I could easily carry it for the travel, though). It's basically a size of a phone, isn't it? Since the nano is tiny, it won't be issue at all for me, but I am not sure about the touch. I generally don't like carrying things around in my pockets.

So would you still buy the ipod touch 4 gen? Or the nano? I think $150 is just about the maximum I would go since I just want an inexpensive compact dedicated music playback device. I am leaning towards the nano, but I can be persuaded if those of you had not-so-pleasant experience with the nano and/or went for the touch 4 gen instead and liked it. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

tomtanojevic

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2013
melbourne
the 4th gen touch is now out of date so i would recommend a refurb 32gb 5th generation and its gonna be sold for a few more years so get that. if you do get a really good case like an otterbox because all touch screen apple products break really easy!

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Based on the situation you're describing, I'd recommend the nano, especially since Web surfing and apps are not an overriding concern. The nano is perfect as a music playback device; I'm using one of my 5th gen nanos as I write this, in fact.

The 7th gen nano can be used for video playback, which is handy for travel. Yeah, okay, the screen is small, but 30-minute to 1-hour shows shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Two real-world examples: On my blue 16 Gb 5th gen right now, I have over 1,200 songs (majority in 256K, some in Apple Lossless) and 75 music videos, with about 450 Mb of space left. On my silver one, I have about 300 songs (dynamically compressed to 192K during sync), those same 75 music videos, about 20 episodes from various sitcoms and about 3 or 4 movies, with about 1.5 Gb of room left-- enough for two full-length movies.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have the iPod Nano 7th gen. I think it's the perfect device. For one thing, it shuts off after a hour or so on standby. So since I use it for a little bit of music, a little bit of tracking my steps, and a little bit of TV, I only charge it every month. And maybe every week with heavier usage.

The iPod Touch 4th generation has slanted buttons, and that's the only issue I have with it. Otherwise it makes a nice music player too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.