Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
I have a last gen 17'' iMac G4 and I would like to add wireless and maybe Bluetooth capabilities but I only have the original 802.11b Airport Card and the 802.11g A1127 Airport Extreme. Will I be able to mod/use one of these in my iMac?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That iMac takes the Airport Extreme card. Just open the bottom panel and put in the card. Bluetooth is slightly harder to add as you have to find the Bluetooth antenna extension for it to work as well as a Bluetooth board. Those can get pricey.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
That iMac takes the Airport Extreme card. Just open the bottom panel and put in the card. Bluetooth is slightly harder to add as you have to find the Bluetooth antenna extension for it to work as well as a Bluetooth board. Those can get pricey.

Yeah, I thought that, it's just I had them on hand. I'll have to go searching for one now. Thanks for your post.

----------

Could a mod close this thread, please?

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
The Airport Extreme Card is a piece of cake to replace.

However, I think you might also need to replace the thermal pads on the logic board and thermal paste on the heat pipes if you put a bluetooth card in (although I think the antenna is standard kit). A lot easier to buy a cheapy USB Bluetooth dongle (even if not as elegant).

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
The Airport Extreme Card is a piece of cake to replace.

However, I think you might also need to replace the thermal pads on the logic board and thermal paste on the heat pipes if you put a bluetooth card in (although I think the antenna is standard kit). A lot easier to buy a cheapy USB Bluetooth dongle (even if not as elegant).

I know what to do...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.