Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
I didn't see any posts regarding calendar sharing...while Contacts lacks family-friendly sharing, Calendar sharing is really easy.

On your Mac's Calendar.app, look at the left panel that shows your list of calendars. Control (or right) click the calendar you want to share and you will see an option for "Sharing Settings" - you can add other iCloud IDs so they can access your calendar, and vice versa.

Works through your browser too at iCloud.com

----------

Do you both share contact data using the joint account? ...or do you both keep separate contacts?

I'm guessing you could turn off the syncing of contacts for the joint icloud account and only have contact syncing on for your personal icloud accounts.

Changes to contacts would not be synced between each of your iphones, but that would solve the my info problem.

We do share contacts through the joint account, and I bet you're right. Maybe I'll try to move our personal contact info to our personal accounts and link them to My Info. All contacts will update them except our own.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
I think you need

I think you need separate, Mac OS Accounts.

Once you set up two isolated Mac accounts, and sync your iTunes with your iOS devices, and setup separate iCloud accounts etc. email accounts etc things will be fine.

But one computer, with one login account, with both of yours and hers stuff just dumped into iTunes, email, bookmarks, iCloud, Documents, would be a nightmare...

EOL

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
Further to posts above I have cracked the Siri problem. I think My Info is a tag in in the actual contact.

I have completely cracked iCloud for married couples and households! To the OP, I was much like you a couple of months back - I thought the whole iCloud thing was great for groovy singletons, but rubbish for families and couples. But actually it all works, you just need to work with it a bit.

Polydactyl

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
Safari data sharing is kind of goofy.

On iDevices you can sync Safari data to any one of your iCloud accounts, but on OSX on the iMac it can only be sync'd to the primary iCloud account. Am I missing something?

This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that sharing the primary Photostream is a must for us. We like to have all our photos automatically shared, not the manual way in iOS6. The Safari thing is the only quirk I haven't figured out.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
I'm getting more and more frustrated with Apple's inability to understand that married people want to share some things but not other stuff. The ability to customize their services for my wife and I is getting more and more difficult as time goes on.

The latest blow? iCloud now apparently syncs the "My Info" field of the iPhone settings, so Siri thinks both of our phones belong to the same person. This "feature" is not broken out into its own toggle switch like other things are. So both phones have to belong to one or the other of us according to Siri.

"But Small White Car," you say. "iCloud is clearly a personal service. You shouldn't be sharing it!"

Ok, cool. Then Apple needs to figure out how I can split us up but but still share Photostream, Contacts, Bookmarks, Calendars, Reminders, and Pages documents with my wife. (I can sync some of these now, but definitely not all.)

Basically, no matter which way I do it I have to make huge compromises. For the time I guess I'll settle for letting my phone call me 'Lori.' That sucks, but it's better than the other way around.

Sorry, no question here, I know you can't help me. I'm just ranting because, gosh darn it, it's fun.

(And don't even get me started on the Mac question of "do we share a user account or not?" That one's an equally horrible choice.)

100%%%

I'd love to set up an iCloud email alias for my wife - in fact I already have - except I don't want to get any of her emails. I just want them to go to her iPad. But that's not an option either.

Once you set up two isolated Mac accounts, and sync your iTunes with your iOS devices, and setup separate iCloud accounts etc. email accounts etc things will be fine.

But one computer, with one login account, with both of yours and hers stuff just dumped into iTunes, email, bookmarks, iCloud, Documents, would be a nightmare...

EOL

Yeah, unfortunately that might be the only solution.

Further to posts above I have cracked the Siri problem. I think My Info is a tag in in the actual contact.

I have completely cracked iCloud for married couples and households! To the OP, I was much like you a couple of months back - I thought the whole iCloud thing was great for groovy singletons, but rubbish for families and couples. But actually it all works, you just need to work with it a bit.

OK? Some details might be nice.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

EOL

I'd love this. Clearly it's what Apple wants us to do. Reasons I still can't:

1) Who 'owns' iTunes? Yes, you can share music but only one of you can edit the library. The other is a second class citizen who can't rate songs and alter playlists. So one of us is the music master and the other is treated like a child. And good luck getting your iPad to sync with iTunes tonight, sweetie. We left the Mac logged into the my account all night so that MY phone can sync. Sucks to be you.

2) Who gets the photo library? Whoever doesn't can't have access to it in other Apple programs that tap into iPhoto and they can't quickly find shots to send to e-mail or to use in photoshop or anything. Whoever loses this coin toss is pretty much SOL when it comes to our thousands of family photos.

Yeah, you can open the library, but is having 2 versions of a database software accessing the same database really a good idea? Everyone I know about computers says 'no.'

3) Also, that nice trick where photostream downloads every iPhone shot into our library AND uploads our SLR photos back to every iPhone in the house?

Yeah, screw that now. It was nice while it lasted.

4) Who gets Final Cut Pro and the home movie clips? Just like #2, you COULD open it twice, but get ready for disaster!

5) Oh, and btw, when the iTunes owner is streaming a movie to the Apple TV for our daughter THEY can check their e-mail and surf their bookmarks. The other person? No such luck. Too bad for you!

6) And to mix 3 and 4 together... "Sorry, I'm exporting from Final Cut Pro for the next hour. You can't use your bookmarks until it's done."

That's just off the top of my head, I know there are other reasons I can't remember right now. Basically, Apple's position is "You should use different accounts but we will never make our software work with that workflow! Bwa ha ha ha ha!"

The bottom line: Sharing an account gives me 4 or 5 headaches. Splitting up would give me a dozen. Thanks for this awesome choice, Apple.

Last edited:

ant1298

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I love shared reminders.... we use it for groceries list and its great. However it would be more helpful if we could post to the reminder list with notification. For example, I create a shared list. If I post something with a dated reminder I get the notification, but the other person(s) do not.

They can get the reminder if they go into the app and toggle the reminder switch, it'll automatically have the time you selected for it as default. Its a long winded way as you have to ask the person to do it but it does work.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'd love to set up an iCloud email alias for my wife - in fact I already have - except I don't want to get any of her emails. I just want them to go to her iPad. But that's not an option either.

Not sure if this is exactly what you want but on my wife's iPad I have a main (primary) iCloud account with everything EXCEPT Mail turned on (it is my email account). Then I added a second iCloud account to the iPad and everything is turned off except Mail. So we share calendar and contacts but not email.

Then I have all purchases under a third AppleID that we share across all OS X and iOS devices.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
This.

If you use separate iCloud accounts and one iTunes library you can each have your own info but share your apps and songs and such.

My wife and I not only keep our iCloud accounts separate, but our iTunes accounts separate as well.

We just share the things we both like through Home Sharing. Of course the downside to this is that you currently both need Macs to do this, which we do. But I hope Apple allows to enable home sharing syncing between iOS devices. And I don't mean just streaming of course, but actually downloading and storing of this shared content on your iOS device.

----------

EOL

We do this as well. It's just neater and tidier this way we think.

I'm also hopeful that Apple will continue to add more "shared" functionality into it's core iCloud apps (iCal, Contacts, etc.) later down the road. The shared Photostream is a nice start.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Not sure if this is exactly what you want but on my wife's iPad I have a main (primary) iCloud account with everything EXCEPT Mail turned on (it is my email account). Then I added a second iCloud account to the iPad and everything is turned off except Mail. So we share calendar and contacts but not email.

Then I have all purchases under a third AppleID that we share across all OS X and iOS devices.

O RLY? How do you set up the second iCloud Account on the iPad?

I thought of an other solution the other day tho...

Just get divorced! :D

EDIT: I think I figured it out. pretty easy. Now I just have to wait for her to think of an email handle she wants to use - she hates her current gmail handle. Whatevs.

Last edited:

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
2) Passbook has me kind of confused...we just use one Starbucks account. I'm assuming splitting up iCloud means I'll have to register for 2 accounts from every retailer? Not impossible, but an unnecessary pain in the rear.

As much as I agree with you that idenity and partial sharing on iCloud (and iOS in general) is a complete disaster, this one isn't a problem, as Passbook just takes the Starbucks card number from the Starbucks app, and the Starbucks app uses it's own logon system that isn't related to iCloud at all. As such, you can just log into your Starbucks account on two different phones at the same time even if they're using different iCloud IDs without any problems.

iamafink

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2013
...while Contacts lacks family-friendly sharing, Calendar sharing is really easy.

Late to chime in here, but like Small White Car I need to vent. Yes, calendar sharing is really easy, but it's also pretty unreliable because it runs through iCloud. Apple just can't seem to come up with a way to accurately synchronize data. All too often - maybe 1 in 20 events - events show on iCloud but not your iPhone, or the other way round. Same problem between iCloud and Outlook. I've seen similar errors for contacts. We have three iPhones (with separate iCloud accounts) in my family, and we see these problems on all three. Apple Customer care says their Carpe Facto group has reproduced the problem, but I've heard nothing for six weeks other than that one day they'll get back to me.

So if you're sharing with your SO through iCloud, prepare to miss events. (And if, like me, you're the household tech support, prepare to be blamed for it!) This is especially frustrating since my wife and I could share all the info we wanted with our Palms, with near 100% reliability, way back in 1997. Sigh.

Hey Apple: "iCloud. It just doesn't work."

mrbrightside816

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2013

Hi!

Can you please explain how you cracked the Siri/My Info problem?

My problem is similar in that my two son's devices (iPhone and iPad) along with my iPhone all switches My Info when one is changed, but my wife's iPhone and my daughter's iPod remain unchanged (they stay as their own My Info!)...

thank you

mrbrightside816

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2013
Hi!

Can you please explain how you cracked the Siri/My Info problem?

My problem is similar in that my two son's devices (iPhone and iPad) along with my iPhone all switches My Info when one is changed, but my wife's iPhone and my daughter's iPod remain unchanged (they stay as their own My Info!)...

thank you

I've seemed to have found the solution... It appears that if in Settings the Facebook settings are set, the My Info doesn't change! As stated above, my wife and daughter are never affected when we change our My Info. They have facebook logged in from Settings. So I tried it on my phone and my two sons' devices... now they have facebook logged in and My Info sticks!

rhuarc3

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Massachusetts
i'm not sure i understand the op or any of these gripes.

my wife and i use a shared icloud account as well as a shared itunes account. we have seperate gmail accounts.

siri refers to me by my name and her by hers. if you go under siri in settings you can select which contact to use as my info. as long as you have seperate contact listings in your contacts it works fine. everything seems to work fine.

we use the same starbucks card so that wasn't an issue.

gfbane

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Kind of an old topic but the issue is now amplified with the iCloud Photo Library. My wife and I have separate iCloud accounts for our phones and contacts, however, we share a single iTunes / app store Apple ID. We have a 1 year old and a 3 year old and want to have all of our photos go into one library. However, in order to do this, we have to both use the same main iCloud account on our phones and Macs. Then, once we do that, what happens with continuity and handoff? I suppose we don't really use those features a ton but it's still a concern as Apple continues to use iCloud to tie in other features moving forward.

fieldsphotos

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
Family Sharing was meant to fix your problem. You can share purchases, calendars, and even a separate Photo Stream.

Too bad you can't share notes or contacts with family sharing yet. This is an old post, but the issues are still there. We have kludged together a sharing scheme between my husband and I, but updates tend to break things. Like the new Notes on iOS 9. That broke syncing between our phones and the Mac.

So I am slowly moving away from iCloud to alternative services.

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
This post above, do you guys hear what we have to do because of Apple? Some another accounts, some hacks and tricks? What the hell, I thought the phenomenon of the existence of a "family" has been well known for years. Is it that strange to have a single photo library?

Maybe an old topic but some issues are still present.

For example, you can buy/rent a family Apple Music plan, but you can't have a single iCloud storage plan? My wife needs only about 20 GB and I need 130 GB (for my needs and iCloud Family (in this case) Photo Library).

So 200 GB should be fine right? But nope, she needs to pay for 50 and I for 200 separately.

And when it comes to sharing our photos, she definitely doesn't receive the full experience of having these photos "shared". Photos which are shared through sharing option are lower resolution, and it is a hassle to remember after every event to reshare these and these photos again.

iCloud Family Sharing needs some work still.

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
It's for personal use and everyone has the right for a privacy from others, including a spouse. Family sharing is perfectly fine for me since i'm not trying to merge with my wife and kids into a super saiyan.

fieldsphotos

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
It's for personal use and everyone has the right for a privacy from others, including a spouse. Family sharing is perfectly fine for me since i'm not trying to merge with my wife and kids into a super saiyan.

Well, sure we all have our personal icloud accounts. If we were trying to share EVERYTHING, this would be easy - just create ONE icloud account and everyone uses it.

So how do you handle shared contacts? So if, say, Grandma changes her e-mail address do you then have to manually fix that in all the various icloud accounts? I would imagine there are at least SOME contacts that your family all shares. Wouldn't it be nice to make a "family contacts" list for those that would sync across accounts?

I just wish we could share contacts and notes with family sharing too.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
My latest 'bitch' is that my partner got a job that uses 'Outlook/Exchange', and updating the iCloud calendar me share is a problem. I suggest that they create a 'blind contact' that lists the iCloud email so that meetings can be scheduled either by the person doing the scheduling, or can be 'invited' as the announcement pops up in the inbox.

We used to have a minute-by-minute updated schedule so each of us knows where the other is, and it's been totally blown out of the water.

Is there, perhaps, a more 'elegant' way to handle this? They also use 'Office 365', or Office Online, and they bitch about it all the time...

It's kinda about people sharing information... I don't mean to hijack this thread.

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
Well, sure we all have our personal icloud accounts. If we were trying to share EVERYTHING, this would be easy - just create ONE icloud account and everyone uses it.

So how do you handle shared contacts? So if, say, Grandma changes her e-mail address do you then have to manually fix that in all the various icloud accounts? I would imagine there are at least SOME contacts that your family all shares. Wouldn't it be nice to make a "family contacts" list for those that would sync across accounts?

I just wish we could share contacts and notes with family sharing too.

I wouldn't mind having those options you mentioned, but everyone adjusting his/her own contacts is not a problem. It's a part of you life.

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Yep, Apple doesn't quite get it.

This was first made clear to me when mommy & daddy's intimate pics were immediately posted in photo stream on all of our Apple devices. Imagine our horror, when we first noticed these pics popping up on the ATVs that our kids were using. Fortunately, I was able to intervene before the kids saw anything. But needless to say, this put quite a damper on our intimate photo & video sessions for a while...LOL

But I was very angry at Apple for this!!! Hey, when you have several kids you don't get to have much fun. So, pooh-pooh on anyone who gets in the way of that.

And, BTW, those photos were very hard to remove from everywhere.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Yep, Apple doesn't quite get it.

This was first made clear to me when mommy & daddy's intimate pics were immediately posted in photo stream on all of our Apple devices. Imagine our horror, when we first noticed these pics popping up on the ATVs that our kids were using. Fortunately, I was able to intervene before the kids saw anything. But needless to say, this put quite a damper on our intimate photo & video sessions for a while...LOL

But I was very angry at Apple for this!!! Hey, when you have several kids you don't get to have much fun. So, pooh-pooh on anyone who gets in the way of that.

And, BTW, those photos were very hard to remove from everywhere.

I guess I'm getting old, or I have a different view of 'intimate', but if it's of anything normally hidden by what passes for a bathing suit, it shouldn't be on ANYTHING that could ever be potentially accessed publicly. Period...

If you have to take that picture, you really need to keep in mind, and this isn't aimed at you, who could possibly ever see that. The wife and I had a few pics that were 'racy', but we took the pictures on a separate camera, and put them on a computer that wasn't accessible by anyone else. We eventually deleted them. Our memories are good enough...

I remember an article that hit the news about a female teacher that borrowed the school video camera while on a 'sleep away' field trip, and she apparently 'got frisky' with the other (male) chaperone, and they taped their amorous session in the hotel at the end of the tape of the kiddies at the museum and seeing the sites. Ah, but the school board wanted to see the tape. and, well, they got a lot more than an eyeful...

But I'd shield my kids from the violence in the movies now a days, rather than good wholesome sex and nudity. I find shooting people, cutting people, drowning people, burning people, car crashing people, dismembering people WAY more disturbing than racy pics of mom and dad. But still...

Should Apple 'fix' Photos? Yeah. I'd LOVE to have the ability to have more than one database so the funny, or work related pictures can be subdivided and not lumped in with all of the other ones. It seems with the latest 'upgrade' that Apple really just cut some features, or hid them, and as a result, Photos, and the streaming/iCloud service is a mess... I don't use it. I probably never will. To darn many 'other' classification pictures to wade through...

But then...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.