Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reno55

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
I am considering upgrading my iPad. I currently have a 16gb 3rd gen and I use it mostly for Web, reading magazines, forums, light gaming and some basic apps.

I am looking at the mini as I really love the former factor but the retina part kind of bothers me. I am also looking at 4th gen but just not sure I need that power yet and since it seems apple is now on a 6 month product cycle with ipads its kind of scary.

Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone switch from 3rd gen to mini, and if so how was your experience?

klang

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
I haven't switched, i actually made my first ipad purchase the mini, and i love it. I use it for note taking during majority of my classes with the bluetooth keyboard and a stylus.

I surf the web occasionally but i read almost every night using it while in bed. I have to say, i am glad i went with the mini because its just right for reading books while laying in bed, and the size of it makes it convenient for me to carry in my bag with all my textbooks.

As for retina, the only retina i have been exposed to is the iphone screens, specifically now the iphone 5, and personally, the non-retina on the mini doesn't bother me one bit. Even watching Netflix on the mini, i'm not bothered by the screen.

Definitely satisfied with my purchase :D

AlabamaAce

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Do you have a need for the latest and greatest? If so I would wait for the next gen iPad mini and then go for the upgrade. If not, and you don't mind the idea of an outdated retina, go for it!

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
Got rid of my 3rd gen and got a mini which I love. It's far handier for travel and easier for me to hold. I'll most likely want to upgrade to the next mini but not because of the display (I notice it but it doesn't bother me). I'm hoping the 2nd gen will have the option of 128gb!

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The ram will be its greatest downfall if it isn't already with the mini. If you want one, id wait for it to be updated and hang onto your iPad 3 in the mean time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.