Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 16, 2013, 05:03 PM   #101
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
Competing workstations of a similar size support more memory, disks and PCIe slots. (And, of course, they have newer CPUs than the Apple Pro.) Competing workstations of a much smaller size match the Apple Pro for for memory, disks and PCIe slots.
When did I say anything about the internals? I was only ever talking about the case. The current internals are a joke. The current generation Mac Pro is a disgrace to the original which was the fastest windows workstation you could buy for a grand less than the closest Dell.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:17 AM   #102
bolibic
macrumors member

Stolen money...

Wow, a lot of money stolen from workers.

And workers don't say a word about it.
bolibic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:05 AM   #103
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Last summer, Apple had not yet missed 3 of the last 4 earnings estimates.

Another factor is that it takes a lot of time for the typical Apple shareholder to unload billions of dollars worth of stock without quickly depressing the market for Apple stock, so the Hedge Funds and the Pension Funds and the Mutual Funds, those lovely folks who own the company we love, create a delayed reaction. Hell, they are still selling off their excess AAPL, and that is why the share price continues to tank.

Do you think that the Hedge Funds can divest on a dime? AAPL is Big Money. It takes lots of time to turn a wounded battleship around. You can't just do a 4-wheel drift and turn 180 degrees. AAPL isn't a sports car, it is a hulk.
I don't care how long it takes to unload something. Fact is it didn't take long for Wall Street to go from $1000 price targets to $400 (or less) price targets. And that's what I think is BS. There were tons of rumors and leaks last year so it's not like Wall Street (and the media) were expecting a 5" iPhone that looked nothing like the previous phone but got the 4" iPhone 5 instead. I'd love to know all the data points and "supply chain checks" these gurus has in the summer to lead them to $900-$1000 price targets that all of a sudden vanished in the fall?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:26 AM   #104
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
When did I say anything about the internals? I was only ever talking about the case. The current internals are a joke. The current generation Mac Pro is a disgrace to the original which was the fastest windows workstation you could buy for a grand less than the closest Dell.
I was also talking about the case - it's too big for what's inside.

Can you support your claim about the original Mac Pro?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:14 AM   #105
CoolSpot
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by croooow View Post
That money has to go somewhere, why not the people who helped make the company so successful?

I understand why, but I still find it very amusing that their boss was 1016th on the list while they are 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th.
Why not go to people that can actually USE the money. Bob Mansfield's life isn't going to change because he got 85 mil instead of 65 mil, but taking that 20 mil and giving an extra 40K to 500 Apple employees making more average wages would.

That's the problem. It's not that people make a lot of money, its that nobody considers anyone else lower on the food chain, and the money ends up flowing to the top to people that do ****-all with it.
CoolSpot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:22 AM   #106
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I don't care how long it takes to unload something. Fact is it didn't take long for Wall Street to go from $1000 price targets to $400 (or less) price targets. And that's what I think is BS. There were tons of rumors and leaks last year so it's not like Wall Street (and the media) were expecting a 5" iPhone that looked nothing like the previous phone but got the 4" iPhone 5 instead. I'd love to know all the data points and "supply chain checks" these gurus has in the summer to lead them to $900-$1000 price targets that all of a sudden vanished in the fall?
OK. You've convinced me that the billionaires who own Apple are clueless about money. You must be right that "Wall Street" doesn't know how to evaluate the business prospects of megacorporations.

Quick! Somebody tell Warren Buffet that he doesn't know what the heck he's doing.

/s

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSpot View Post
That's the problem. It's not that people make a lot of money, its that nobody considers anyone else lower on the food chain, and the money ends up flowing to the top to people that do ****-all with it.
Those people invest it.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 01:01 PM   #107
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
I was also talking about the case - it's too big for what's inside.

Can you support your claim about the original Mac Pro?
Not with any currently available data, but when I was shopping, to get a workstation of similar specs was about 5g. Also, remember that the original launched with a chip that wasn't available in any other machine. It was I Lu available in low volume and apple snatched all of them up for their halo machine. Granted six months later yield was sufficient that all pc makers could get them. I don't mind the extra large case, it has great airflow, and its easy for me to get my gargantuan mitts in there when I need to do something.

Last edited by SPUY767; Apr 17, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
SPUY767 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:50 PM   #108
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
Not with any currently available data, but when I was shopping, to get a workstation of similar specs was about 5g. Also, remember that the original launched with a chip that wasn't available in any other machine. It was I Lu available in low volume and apple snatched all of them up for their halo machine. Granted six months later yield was sufficient that all pc makers could get them. I don't mind the extra large case, it has great airflow, and its easy for me to get my gargantuan mitts in there when I need to do something.
So in other words, you can't support your claim.

The original did not launch with a chip that was not available in any other machine. Period. Bunk. Horse hockey.

About 8 months after launch, Apple offered a 3 GHz chip that was unique - because no other manufacturer wanted to use it. It was a special bin of the existing chip - but ran at 150 watts per chip. Other manufacturers passed on it, because Intel had a 3 GHz 120 watt chip in the pipeline a few months later. Since the cheese grater case was designed for the nuclear furnaces known by the name "PowerPC", Apple picked it up while everyone else waited for the new stepping which ran 3 GHz at the same wattage as the existing chips. It wasn't a matter of "sufficient yield", it was that a better chip arrived a few months after the thermonuclear 3.0 GHz chips, as clearly outlined in the Intel roadmap.

And the "$1000 cheaper" line has been pretty soundly debunked as well. That $1K cheaper line came from comparing a Mac "Pro" (2006) against a Dell PW 670. Every possible option seemed to be added to the top of the line Dell (1Kw power supply, 512MiB Quadro card vs the 256 MiB GeForce in the Mac "Pro",...). No Apple fan seemed bothered that the Dell had 6 internal drive slots and 7 PCI(/e) slots (vs 4 and 4 for the Mac "Pro"), nor that the Dell supported 64 GiB of RAM vs 16 GiB for the Mac "Pro". The Dell mid-tower PW470 was a closer match to the Mac "Pro" (2006) overall, but it was ignored because it didn't fit the agenda.

Please stop repeating nonsense.

Last edited by AidenShaw; Apr 17, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:00 PM   #109
bobenhaus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltepeceno View Post
A bunch of white indians?

Wrong. It was a school on a reservation that accepted anyone.

----------

Quote:
OK. You've convinced me that the billionaires who own Apple are clueless about money. You must be right that "Wall Street" doesn't know how to evaluate the business prospects of megacorporations.

Quick! Somebody tell Warren Buffet that he doesn't know what the heck he's doing.

/s

----------

Those people invest it.
Also those people earn it.
bobenhaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:06 PM   #110
Toltepeceno
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobenhaus View Post
Wrong. It was a school on a reservation that accepted anyone.

----------

Everyone except indians?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:31 PM   #111
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:

/s
Who knows, Cook and the board might actually follow Buffet's advice.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/03/...-buffett-cash/

There's a difference between buffet and half the clowns on cnbc day in and day out. I mean these were the same clowns predicting $1000/share and trillion $ market cap.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:43 PM   #112
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Who knows, Cook and the board might actually follow Buffet's advice.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/03/...-buffett-cash/
They may very well do that, especially if they think that the future product pipeline will be profitable. Using the excess cash in that manner would kill two birds with one stone.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion