Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:20 AM   #1
MacNoobGuy
macrumors 6502

How to lock a pdf file so it can't be edited?

hey guys, i'm using 'Preview' at the moment. i've got a very important work related document that i've exported from OpenOffice and into a pdf file. so it started out as a .doc file in OpenOffice and now it's a .pdf file. i just want to make it so i can't make any further changes to it.

any help would be really great!
MacNoobGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:10 AM   #2
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoobGuy View Post
hey guys, i'm using 'Preview' at the moment. i've got a very important work related document that i've exported from OpenOffice and into a pdf file. so it started out as a .doc file in OpenOffice and now it's a .pdf file. i just want to make it so i can't make any further changes to it.

any help would be really great!
Open in Preview, Click on File>Print. Bottom left corner of dialogue box click PDF. Click on Save As PDF... and then on Security Options in new dialogue box. You will the get a dialogue box that will offer you security options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 8.06.58 AM.png
Views:	719
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	422748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 8.07.42 AM.png
Views:	65
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	422749  
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:43 PM   #3
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

If you want really good PDF security options, you pretty much are going to want to use Acrobat pro or PDF Pen Pro. I don't know if they can restrict more than what Preview does, but it is probably more native.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 05:15 AM   #4
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

If you just want to prevent Preview from making edits to the file, you can always lock the file in the Finder to stop it being over-written.

Preview uses the same security that Acrobat does: it's the PDF standard for security. However, Acrobat will have greater ability to configure and control that security.

It's worth mentioning that there are programs on the internet to strip the security from PDFs, so technically: if someone does want to copy, print or modify the contents, you can't stop them.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:17 AM   #5
960design
macrumors 6502a

After converting a document to a .pdf you will not easily be able ( accidentally ) change it. Changing the text of a PDF requires several button clicks and 'Pro' software to do it.

As others have said, if you are looking to ensure the document CANNOT ever be changed by someone, that is impossible. You can only make it MORE difficult to change it.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:02 AM   #6
jdechko
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
If you just want to prevent Preview from making edits to the file, you can always lock the file in the Finder to stop it being over-written.
Agreed. Simple and effective.
jdechko is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help