Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I've been using cheap (less than $5) filters to protect my lenses and they do the job.
A roll of duct tape would protect 100s of lenses. ;)

In the end it might not matter much either way. I shot some photos the other way for some one and in the end she asks my to "make them smaller" so they will display on a smart phone. no one cares about image quality any more because thy only look at the phis on a phone or at best a computer screen.
True, but the 24x36 aluminum prints I showed today looked awesome and I didn't use a filter either. :)

imikeht

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2013

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Personally I wouldn't recommend them to the majority of people. What's the point of buying a nice lens to put an unecessary filter over it? There's no optical benefit, more equipment to carry around and the only time I smashed the front elements of a lens (300mm 4L IS) it cost me around the same price to fix as the cost of a UV filter.
The only situation where I use them is where there is excessive sea spray, blowing sand or snow when I compose my frame and whip off the filter to get a couple of exposures off without debris on the lens.

imikeht

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2013
The UV filter is the best when used in the right circumstance.
In outdoor photography, it's really a nice kit.
:)

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
The UV filter is the best when used in the right circumstance.
In outdoor photography, it's really a nice kit.
:)

UV filters are individual mixtures or compounds to prevent ultraviolet light from getting inside.

Digital sensors don't have sensitivity to UV frequencies, so it doesn't actually matter. Use a clear glass sensor if you want to, but make sure it's a good quality one to lessen the influence on your pictures.

Last edited:

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
I am more likely to use a circular polarizer or ND filter at the beach as opposed to a UV or clear filter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.