Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma4664

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
hey i just wanted to ask how to install bootcamp on my imac since my superdrive isint working i bought the mba superdrive and changed the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file to make it work but when bootcamp partitioned the disk after i inserted the windows 7 DVD then restarted but it would never work. it would always give a black screen with this (_) flashing

i tried to also use remote disk and change some files but still wouldnt work.

please i really need bootcamp on my imac is there anyway else to install it or am i have to gonna fix the internal superdrive

i also tried making a usb disk with my friends macbook air but it would say that it couldnt find the disk

Thanks

Puma4664

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Hi, I had the same problem with my macbook pro, I replaced my drive after awhile, but I did manage to get windows 7 installed before hand.

Here's what I did:
I used disk utility to setup the boot camp partition, by shrinking the OS X partition, and creating a FAT32 partition right after it. (which is all the boot camp utility does anyways)

After that, I used parallels. I set up a VM, selecting the bootcamp drive as hard disk 1. I also made sure that hard ware was as close as possible, but its not too important (IE same amount of VRAM, and CPU cores).
Then I used an ISO image of windows 7 to install to the boot camp partition via parallels. Now heres the more important part. After setup already reboots twice, the next would be the "first start up". Close the VM, and then boot off of that partition. Windows will act as it was the first start on your mac. Then there you have it, windows installed. The next would be the drivers. I used an ISO image of my snow leopard DVD, and mounted in windows using this amazing utility: http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html its so much better and easier to use than daemon tools.
Then you would just install like its a real disc.
Now I was able to make an ISO image of my windows 7 DVD using a different computer. I don't know if one is available to you or not, but this is the only I can think of without replacing the optical drive. I suppose you could use FW target disk mode from another mac, but windows will not boot from firewire so i dont know if that would work or not.

I hope this helps.

puma4664

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
OMG THANKS ALOT
but can u plz pzlplz either make a video for me or explain to me in step by step i have paralels but i dont get what u mean so please either make a video or a step by step tutorial with images thanks sooo much

puma4664

----------

Hi, I had the same problem with my macbook pro, I replaced my drive after awhile, but I did manage to get windows 7 installed before hand.

Here's what I did:
I used disk utility to setup the boot camp partition, by shrinking the OS X partition, and creating a FAT32 partition right after it. (which is all the boot camp utility does anyways)

After that, I used parallels. I set up a VM, selecting the bootcamp drive as hard disk 1. I also made sure that hard ware was as close as possible, but its not too important (IE same amount of VRAM, and CPU cores).
Then I used an ISO image of windows 7 to install to the boot camp partition via parallels. Now heres the more important part. After setup already reboots twice, the next would be the "first start up". Close the VM, and then boot off of that partition. Windows will act as it was the first start on your mac. Then there you have it, windows installed. The next would be the drivers. I used an ISO image of my snow leopard DVD, and mounted in windows using this amazing utility: http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html its so much better and easier to use than daemon tools.
Now I was able to make an ISO image of my windows 7 DVD using a different computer. I don't know if one is available to you or not, but this is the only I can think of without replacing the optical drive. I suppose you could use FW target disk mode from another mac, but windows will not boot from firewire so i dont know if that would work or not.

I hope this helps.

please a step by step tut with pics or a vid

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I will try to help you as best I can. But since I did this with my computer, I got a new hard drive, and SuperDrive. So I was able to install windows properly. But it is a lot easier than it sounds.

Ill try to throw together a walk through for you, I'll post back when I finish, but like I said I don't have it on my computer anymore so the only pictures I could post are of the parallels setup.

puma4664

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I will try to help you as best I can. But since I did this with my computer, I got a new hard drive, and SuperDrive. So I was able to install windows properly. But it is a lot easier than it sounds.

Ill try to throw together a walk through for you, I'll post back when I finish, but like I said I don't have it on my computer anymore so the only pictures I could post are of the parallels setup.

OMG THANKS ALOT i just dont understand when you said

"After that, I used parallels. I set up a VM, selecting the bootcamp drive as hard disk 1. I also made sure that hard ware was as close as possible, but its not too important (IE same amount of VRAM, and CPU cores).
Then I used an ISO image of windows 7 to install to the boot camp partition via parallels."

but can you explain the whole thing in detail but especially the part i quoted thanks

puma4664

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
when i use bootcamp as HD 1 where do i save the .pvm & what SATA or IDE or SCSI do i use when im chosing HD 1

Thanks

Last edited:

puma4664

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I REEALLY DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY MEAN:( +im using parallels please someone make a vid or something and answer my above questions

Thanks

puma4664

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012

Here's what I did:

I hope this helps.

i did what you told me above
i set the bootcamp partition as HD 1

but this is what happend

i formated the bootcamp partition via paralels but when i click install here this is what happens

3007eyd.png

& then

34nn0gm.png

(btw i already formated it ) & on mac osx its un mounted

& then

afj7o4.png

THIS IS THE PROBLEM PLZ HELP ME

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.