Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
That isn't market research. You found something on the internet. If you searched for donkey pr0n, I bet you'd find that too. I've read many times that Apple pushed for an exclusive release for the first year. I'm really not sure that's true. If it is, they weren't working in your best interest. You absolutely will not see the push for such a thing from the Mac side of peripheral devices. It's a tiny market. You're mainly looking at those with a 2011 to 2012 macbook pro or air. Minis sell because they're cheap. The number of people buying them outside these boards that would spend $600 or so to upgrade graphics is likely slim. 27" imac owners are also unlikely targets. You're throttled somewhat going through thunderbolt, making the gains a bit slim relative to the price.

This is the kind of thing that would take off on Windows first where a larger gaming market exists. They didn't even see thunderbolt until this year, and it takes a lot of work to get get these things to operate seamlessly on either platform, as graphics cards are not normally plug and play devices. You'd want to be able to recognize the device without rebooting. Ideally if the market is there, you'd see these things tested and produced by the same companies that distribute graphics cards today. Just don't expect the push to come from OSX.

+1 Very well said and couldn't agree more!

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
i dont understand **** about this thunderbolt external gpu thingy. Everybody has their own opinion on how fast it will be, but how can anybody know when there hasnt been any benchmarks whatsoever ???? why cant apple make an eGPU dock, for gods sake it would sell like grass.

I rather expect the Mac Pro will be an extensible architecture strung on a Thunderbolt backbone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.