Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Which may also explain their update cycle. They grew their business when software was distributed on physical disks and annual updates were normal. Personally, I don't find a most recent version of July 2012 alarming at all, but maybe that's just me. I do realize their user interface is somewhat dated, update cycles have become shorter and businesses have to adapt to stay competitive.

I can't speak particularly about DevonThink, but these short cycles are not to fix bugs but to introduce new features. How often are these new features really useful? How often do these changes disrupt workflow while learning new interfaces? How often do these changes introduce bugs?

Give me a stable program that's been around for years over somebody's beta code any day!

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
On the DT issue:
I have DevonThink pro and think it's excellent, but I don't use it for everyday note taking since iPad sync hasn't come very far yet.

Seems basic, right? And other apps you can purchase (as opposed to rent) have PDF search. But for Evernote, it's listed as a "premium feature", so five bucks a month for eternity it is.

The free version already searched all my pdfs that had been OCR-ed. I think the premium feature includes stuff like OCR-ing PDFs that need it, and also making your hand writing searchable. But I see your basic argument about subscription vs one off payment.

----------

epicmar

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Northern Florida
As to Devonthink versus CP Notebook, only using one or the other, only on the iPad, not a lot of original input (I use an external Zagg keyboard), but mostly, short meeting notes, reviewing documents prepared by other people and providing feedback notes and edits, and lots of reference PDFs (1000+) that I need to keep organized and easy to find - does Devonthink or CP Notebook offer a better solution than my current combination of Notability/Goodreader/Appigo ToDo?

I already own 10+ notetaking apps, every major PDF filing/annotation app, Projectbook, Beesy, etc.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
As to Devonthink versus CP Notebook, only using one or the other, only on the iPad, not a lot of original input (I use an external Zagg keyboard), but mostly, short meeting notes, reviewing documents prepared by other people and providing feedback notes and edits, and lots of reference PDFs (1000+) that I need to keep organized and easy to find - does Devonthink or CP Notebook offer a better solution than my current combination of Notability/Goodreader/Appigo ToDo?

I already own 10+ notetaking apps, every major PDF filing/annotation app, Projectbook, Beesy, etc.

I short, no I don't think so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.