Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
With only four USB ports on the 2012 iMacs, there is a problem in that some USB devices insist on being plugged directly into a computer port, rather than a hub.

Does anyone know of a seven port hub that provides what these fussy devices need, so they will function as though they are plugged into the computer:confused:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
With only four USB ports on the 2012 iMacs, there is a problem in that some USB devices insist on being plugged directly into a computer port, rather than a hub.

Does anyone know of a seven port hub that provides what these fussy devices need, so they will function as though they are plugged into the computer:confused:

You need a powered hub, it sounds like. What devices are being fussy?

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
My powered hubs only satisfy some devices.

You need a powered hub, it sounds like. What devices are being fussy?

I have a 7 port Belkin USB2 and a Connectland 4 port USB2 hub, both powered.

Neither will satisfy my Saitek joystick, the sensor feed for my APC UPS, the Apple SuperDrive that SHOULD have been built in (Hello Tim Cook), or my LaCie D2 Hard Drive.

That's all four available ports right there with none left for expansion.

If I can find a good Thunderbolt 3TB external drive that I can afford to cover my 3TB FD, that will free up one of the USBs, but I have not yet tried the DVI capability to connect my HDTV.

At least these two powered hubs don't cut the mustard:(

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The Apple drive doesn't work on anything but the actual ports of the computer as far as I'm aware...

Your other devices I'm not sure what to tell you. A powered hub should take care of all of it... :confused:

I'm very surprised something as simple as the sensor from your UPS wouldn't work with the hub!

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
The Apple drive doesn't work on anything but the actual ports of the computer as far as I'm aware...

Your other devices I'm not sure what to tell you. A powered hub should take care of all of it... :confused:

I'm very surprised something as simple as the sensor from your UPS wouldn't work with the hub!

The instructions with the Apple Superdrive state computer slot only and they are correct.

I've just lived without the UPS sensor on the G5 the new iMac replaced, but the drive is going to cause a problem and pretty much force buying a Thunderbolt when the prices come down some. They're pretty outrageous so far as I can see. I've tested the other no hub tolerance devices on both powered hubs.

The G5 MacPro tower was less of a problem with a USB port on the front easy to get to.

I've got an Apple store about 30 minutes away, but some of their "experts" are "experts" in a pretty basic way, so I thought I might find better advice here.

Imac Sam

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Harrisonburg, Virginia
As for hubs in general. Since I have the mid-2011 27" iMac, I have a superdrive, Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo, UPS sensor line plugged directly to my mac. Then I have a 24-Port USB 2.0 hub plugged into the last port to handle all my iOS devices, external backup drives, flash drives, and whatever I may need to plug into it at the time.

Here is link to the hub if anyone is interested. It is powered as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CITJhfO3i7UCFRQcnAodAzoAHQ

and more pics here

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e5...e=google_pla&gclid=CMazspK4i7UCFQWonQodfwwAKg

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Looks like a winner.

As for hubs in general. Since I have the mid-2011 27" iMac, I have a superdrive, Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo, UPS sensor line plugged directly to my mac. Then I have a 24-Port USB 2.0 hub plugged into the last port to handle all my iOS devices, external backup drives, flash drives, and whatever I may need to plug into it at the time.

Thanks for the heads up on the Monoprice, iMac Sam. Am ordering one. I can flog my two sometimes functional Belkin(7) & Connectland(4) powered ports at my local MOOSS club, and simplify the rats nest of wires hanging behind my desk.

The remark in your second site ref about continuing to find more USB items is pertinent. I've gotten everything going with a couple empty sockets left over, daisy chaining the above two and trial swapping wires, but the rats nest remains a little worse even, so the MonoPrice will be a big improvement. One less AC adapter wire mess, one less little black box, and no more daisy chain cable.

I also opened up one USB port, with a LaCie 3TB Thunderbolt at a good price which is really a whiz after my older drives. Time Machined in about 25% of the time it took for initial backup on my USB2 drive.

After six months, the new 2012 27" souped up iMac is a marvel after six years with my old G5 tower. After 29 years since my first Little Mac, and 8 or 10 other Macs in between before the G5, the new one is a different world, but I still miss the old, free, MacDraw. Why hasn't someone replaced such a simple little tool, maybe not free, but still just a few bucks instead of hundreds for behemoths that can do jillions more than MacDraw but never get used?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.